Masters Running

Sunday Daily 1-26-14 (Read 38 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - in the fifties/sixties, we used to use the s-shoes to set a base in a long dog-bone shape (for turning around at both ends) to set an x-c ski track in the old diagonal days. Set up hard for weeks until the next snow . . . or, later on in the seventies and eighties, when the then new-breed of winter runners would chew up the parallel tracks.  No wonder i never used to like running.

However, MikeE, I'm with your DW all the way.

I think you're in more trouble than you think.

Good for her. Good luck to you.

ps - maybe leslie'll post some more pictures too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

NHLA

7.86 miles 65 min. Sugar Creek Greenway.

mike   I used to find bombs hunting in Camp Shelby when I was a kid. Some of the bombs they dropped didn't go off but they were still live. I didn't tell mom.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, what did that concoction end up being? A pound of bacon and a pound of ground beef... Hmmmm, nothing good can come from that!

It was "cheeseburger ravioli."  Didn't quite turn out as he expected.  "The video made it look so easy."  We baked the remaining filling in pie crust and made empanadas, which was okay.  Still, it was fun to see him trying something new.

C-R - well done for your DS!

Steve - lovely pics!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Birthday TW!

Hand Grenades and Mortars.  We are interesting bunch of Masters, aren't we?  

I once took an 1860 Civil War Sword (that's been handed down through the generations) to my 3rd Grade class for Show-And-Tell.  I don't recall any complaints and I got an A on the assignment, so I guess it was fine.  I'm sure if I tried to do that today they'd call in the Swat Team and arrest me.  

I ran 13.1 progressive miles on Saturday and followed it up today with 8 miles EZ.  That 13.1 is the most miles I've run in a good long while.  And I wasn't even trying for a progression run.  It just happened.  Finally, I'm starting to feel pretty good about my running again.  (I better be cautious.  Usually when I start feeling good I'm in for a rude awakening.  Injury, burn out, etc.)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Latent Runner

I went out and slogged through 15.5 miles of soft mushy snow on the snowmobile trail on Sunday, and when I finished I was pretty tired and maybe not as aware of circumstances as I should have been.  As I was walking to my car I tried to take my left glove off, and my right hand simply slipped away leaving my left glove in place.  I tried a few more times before I finally felt it move; thinking my fingers were numb and not being able to grip properly, I tried one last time by grabbing and pulling hard.  The glove came away with the sound of velcro being pulled apart.

"Hmmm," I thought, "guess the cuff of my glove was frozen to the sleeve of my outer shell."

I drove home, puttered around the barn for a few minutes, fed a few apples to the horses, and then went in for a shower.  I was able to pull my outer shell up over my head and get my right arm out of its sleeve, but the left sleeve of my shirt refused to come out of the shell.  I stuffed my right hand up into my left sleeve and discovered my shirt sleeve was solidly frozen to the inside of my shell.

Thinking about it afterwards I realized the wind for the final 7.75 miles had been coming from my front left quarter, and given that I wasn't at all cold, it seems logical that the ice layer between my sleeves had been acting as a shield to protect my arm from the wind.  Go figure.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
            • 2-mile: 13:49
            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
            • 5-Mile: 37:24
            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger - great to see you at it again!

Shipo - that's a tough run!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."