Masters Running

The NYC Half-Marathon (Read 274 times)

bap

Just popped in here to say that I suck! 1:58:08, my worst half-marathon time in 25 years. The conditions were the best in weeks too and I've run 100+ miles for three successive months for the first time in 2 years. I ran the first 7 miles very conservatively, walked through some water stations but still struggled in the last four. Grrrr! Lesson learned, I need to do some speed work to be able to keep that heart-rate up.

Certified Running Coach
    Crocked since 2013

It couldn't be that you're getting older, could it?
      Tramps

Hey, good to hear from you. There'll be other races.

Be safe. Be kind.

bap

It couldn't be that you're getting older, could it?
          Hi Considering I started running at 44 and I'm only 46 (until Wednesday) I doubt it. Oh well. Apparently there was 83% humidity and I don't do well in humidity.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

Renee the dog

Well, if it is any consolation, I'd love to have your time for my next 1/2 as 2:00:00 is my goal. Smile And, I'm a couple years younger than you. (I know it's really no consolation, but just letting you know there are younger people who suck more than you out there Wink ) Also, how it is your worst in 25 years, when you've only been running 2? I think there's some more to that story that I'm missing.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

Hey, we all have a sucky race at one time or another. Goodness knows there's a couple I'd never write a RR on! Live and learn, and yes humidity above 80% sorta saps my sproink every time. Onward and upward, right? Next time out will be better. (but speedwork isn't a bad idea...) Smile
                It's good to hear from you bap. I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with your half but it was a respectable time. My two best are just a bit slower than yours and I placed pretty well in the field. Congrats for getting out there and giving it a good try. TomS
                nowor

BAP, Just returned from a weekend in The City. Stayed in hotel near Wall St and walked over to Ground Zero early Sunday . It was already hot and Very Humid. (The Times said that humidity was 90% at 7 AM the start.) I wondered if you were running. It was fantastic to see such life in a still scarred area. Looking forward to your next RR!
                  coastwalker

Hi BAP, High humidity...NYC heat...maybe some over-training...maybe not enough speedwork? Who knows? Any one, or maybe all of those factors led to your disappointment. But don't be too hard on yourself; we all have worst races, and now you've got yours! Chalk it up to just not being your best day and move on. You know you've got tons of great races still in you! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

huskydon

Good to hear from you again. There will be races like that, and no doubt the humidity took its toll. Seems odd that you ran the first seven very conservatively, but still struggled in the last four miles. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. huskydon
                        Naturally more training will help. Losing weight (unless you are borderline anorexic) will help too. But, studies indicate that whenever you take up racing you can improve your times for several years. I have been racing for four years now and have managed to pick up speed, if only a little bit at times, each year. Good luck with your future races.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

bap

Hi BAP, High humidity...NYC heat...maybe some over-training...maybe not enough speedwork? Who knows? Any one, or maybe all of those factors led to your disappointment. But don't be too hard on yourself; we all have worst races, and now you've got yours! Chalk it up to just not being your best day and move on. You know you've got tons of great races still in you! Jay
                          Thanks Jay et al. I'm over it now. Because the rain cooled it down at the start I didn't realize how humid it was. It was only 73 degrees but with 94% humidity Undecided I heard from a Road Runners employee that Adam Goucher collapsed at the finish. I don't think I've been overtraining. Mainly due to thigh that's been sore since February. I've finally find someone who may be able to fix it. I'm now sponsored by my physical therapist. I think I've put his kids through school Cool I hope you had fun nowor.

Certified Running Coach
                          Crocked since 2013

bap

{{{spare ribs}}}

Certified Running Coach
                            Crocked since 2013