Masters Running

Running is good for you... (Read 358 times)

"Well DUH!" you say? I would too. But I got another angle on this via an epiphany I had the other day. We seem to be a 'self-deprecating' bunch here--we make fun of our falls, our bonks, our DNF's and it even extends into our non-running lives. That's not a common trait in the general population. Everyone walks around so serious, getting pissed when they do something embarrassing. So why is it that we are all so willing to make fun of ourselves? I believe that to not take ourselves so seriously, it takes a great deal of self-confidence. And, I believe we've arrived at that point, in large part due to running. In our running, we've had great successes and great failures. We've trained and stuck to a program and witnessed the fruits of that labor. Conversely, we've done stupid stuff and paid the price. We know we can push our bodies and minds farther than we would have ever thought before we started running and we also know that we're not bullet-proof or invincible. We can make fun of ourselves because we know what we're capable of--the good, the bad and the ugly. We can make fun of each other because we know we're a careless, inattentive step away from looking like an idiot. We're also one good day away from a new PR. But maybe I'm just stating the obvious. I have a tendency to do that since I'm lazy and it's much easier than discovering something original. Whoops! There I go again... Wink Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Tim, you just posted exactly what I have thought many times. I for one, try to be light hearted about my injuries and making fun of my "non" running with my taper Buddie tet...boy, have we had some fun with that one. I have had some rough days too, but that is when some kind person here at RA gives me a "gentle" kick in the rear to stay positive....and don't do something stoopid like trying to run before it is time And then breaking two toes on top of everything else. This has gotten to be sooo ridiculous, I have to laugh at myself, even thought it hurts in more ways than one. Thanks...nice post Tim C Smile

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I agree completely---I take life seriously (when required), but myself--never.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

#artbydmcbride

Running can be too humbling to allow me to take myself too seriously. Big grin

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm trying to break myself of a bad habit.  When someone asks me a question such as how far I run, I'll say, "Oh, up to 10 miles or so, but I'm SO SLOW!!!"  I have to stop doing that!  I guess I do it because I don't want to sound like I'm bragging or something.

Marathon Maniac #3309

but I'm SO SLOW!!
              Yes indeed, you need to stop that or you will be heavily fined Wink....no one is slow, we are just runners with differing abilities and objectives. Repeat, I am not slow, I am not slow...................................... TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

The old saying..."I may be old, but I'm slow." Big grin
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                wildchild

Carolyn

Everyone walks around so serious, getting pissed when they do something embarrassing.
                  Personally, when I do something embarrassing, I feel embarrassed, not pissed. Like the few times I've tripped and fallen while running, I always look around to see if anyone noticed. Embarrassed Teresa has a good point - we have to walk a fine line between bragging and being too self-deprecating. Everyone on this site understands, so we can tell it like it is, whether it's bragging or whining, but to our non-running friends and family we just have to be neutral. One of the many reasons I appreciate all of you!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresa has a good point - we have to walk a fine line between bragging and being too self-deprecating. Everyone on this site understands, so we can tell it like it is, whether it's bragging or whining, but to our non-running friends and family we just have to be neutral. One of the many reasons I appreciate all of you!
                    WC--I guess many of us live double lives. We CAN come here and tell of our mistakes and screwups AND our successes, none of which would be understood by our non-running friends. We get little recognition (other than those who are REALLY good and finish on the podiums) because this is mainly a solitary exercise. We'll just have to continue reading and posting here. Somebody out there loves us! Big grin Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I should say that my immediate family is VERY proud of me and tells me that all the time! DH keeps reminding me that I can buy whatever I want/need for running, even to the point of going out for bagels and coffee after my runs with my friend. So that helps a lot!
                        I should say that my immediate family is VERY proud of me and tells me that all the time! DH keeps reminding me that I can buy whatever I want/need for running, even to the point of going out for bagels and coffee after my runs with my friend. So that helps a lot!
                        Theresa--Can I have my wife talk to your DH? She's a little stingy with the running stuff... Wink TC

evanflein

Thanks, Tim, that's all so true. And it's also true that it's valuable to have this site as a sounding board for our running. I know my DH sometimes thinks I spend too much time here, but if he had to listen to me go on and on like you guys do... his eyes glaze over and he starts nodding off! He's supportive of my running, but like everything he wants me to know my limits. I'm still working on that one... Big grin

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks, Tim, that's all so true. And it's also true that it's valuable to have this site as a sounding board for our running. I know my DH sometimes thinks I spend too much time here, but if he had to listen to me go on and on like you guys do... his eyes glaze over and he starts nodding off! He's supportive of my running, but like everything he wants me to know my limits. I'm still working on that one... Big grin
                            Sooo very true Erika...except, I don't have a DH...whew, glad. My friends and everyone one else would think I was nuts, if they knew what I posted here, really. The other Tim

Ultrachick

WC--I guess many of us live double lives. We CAN come here and tell of our mistakes and screwups AND our successes, none of which would be understood by our non-running friends. We get little recognition (other than those who are REALLY good and finish on the podiums) because this is mainly a solitary exercise. We'll just have to continue reading and posting here. Somebody out there loves us! Big grin Tim C.
                              I got some recognition! Check this out (unless you're from VT, then maybe you've already seen it Big grin) http://www.vtsports.com/articles/reader-athletes-kelly-wilson Kelly
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                                very kewl kelly!! Big grin

denise