Masters Running

Saturday...At Room Temperature...... (Read 46 times)

mornin' guys//.......hope you have a Snow Free Weekend......

=======

32min poolrun

I am STILL Amazed at the Healing Powers of Water....

Great Pic yesterday steveP.

................good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Wow TW. That title frightened me a bit. Old military saying and all.

Salt water (especially ocean water) has healed many issues for me. Man I miss living near the ocean.

13.2 chilly miles with our running club today. Wanted to see if I could hold the run under 8 mpm. Just made it without having to drop the hammer. It was good to have several others in the same pace group.

Well time to do some projects. Counter install. Bathroom floor (prep) and whatever DW has in mind (that one is the most worrisome of them all).

With all the Lance and Manti stuff in the news it's hard to get any sports scores. But someone here made a comment the other day that seems to hit the nail directly. All these "journalists" decided to run with things and not bother to do research. That is just lazy. I listened to Rick Riley (ESPN) get all indignant about what Lance did to his reputation as he was one of his supporters. Here's a thought. How about doing your research, reporting the news, writing about facts and not be a cheerleader or fan disguised as a journalist. That's like me complaining I couldn't run a PR for a race while training by sitting on the couch reading Runners World, training books and watching races on the tele. Sorry for the rant but the combination of sanctimony and laziness just sets me off. This week I was reminded about being a measured fan of athletes and lost about all respect for sports reporters. Especially those working for ESPN. Wow!

Ok the soap box is clear for the next person.

Have a great day.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I agree C-R.  Journalism is more about entertainment than reporting anymore.

Mike, sorry.  Prayers and thoughts to you and yours.

Great picture SteveP.

10.2 miles this mmorning at a comfortable 8:56 pace.  Last half faster than the first.  Maybe I haven't forgotten how to run after all.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Mari—good attitude.  I’ll have to try the “king” version of that some day.  (BTW, what’s an “MIL”?)

Steve—no family resemblance whatsoever in that picture is there?

Tammy—have fun with your relay.  Local races are great.

Henry and Marj—enjoy Miami!

Ribs—doing a little speedwork…in your car!

C-R—nice run…and rant. I agree.

EZ 14 for me on a gorgeous sunny morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Henry and Marj—enjoy Miami!

Thanks Tramps-but we're not going to be in Miami till this coming Thursday-the race is next weekend.

I haven't run in so long that, after a PT session and a 2 mile run yesterday, I had to work out my stiffness by walking and resting today. Hopefully I can work up to my 5K in one week. It's going to be very slow-but it'll be worth it to just finish when not too long ago I had thoughts of not being able to run again.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Since I'm not an old military man, what does "At room Temperature" mean?

A warm front went through during the night and the run that I expected to be in the 20's was a very breezy, but pleasant 37°F.  4 miles in a peppy 9:20 after travel induced 3 days off.  I actually had a tailwind coming through the last mile, which was a pleasant change.  seems liek it may even be shorts weather for tomorrows long run.

C_R--Indy is about as far from the ocean as you can get, isn't it?

No snow for you, Tramps?  Cousins in Richmond said they got a few inches.

Happy rest of the weekend and GO PATS!! (don't believe that any of them have imaginary girlfreinds, at least Roll eyes  )

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

C-R. it was twocat who wrote the post you refer to about shoddy journalism and I loved your post today.

We have sparklingly clear and mild weather today, and I ran an easy 8 just to get my 40 miles in. Plan is for 22 miles tomorrow to see if I can do a 30 mile weekend. Been a long time since I've done that. Just want to test it.  Spareribs

coastwalker

Mike, I'm so sorry to read of your loss, and wish you and your family the strength to deal with this together.

Especially since the advent of 24-hour news stations and electronic journalism, more and more networks/writers struggle to fill the air and pages, and so do so with nonsense rather than facts. It's tough to know anymore where to turn to get the facts, just the facts.

Good attitude, Henry; take it slow, and keep your eye on the goal.

I agree C-R - Salt water has wonderful healing powers, whether you are hearing it, watching it, or playing in it.

Stumpy, I was out a few hours before you, and it was 24F here. But that was still better than yesterday's high temp of 22.

7.7 racewalking miles this morning. I hadn't been out in a couple of days, so my body was a little cranky, but we worked though that and got into a nice groove. Afterward, DW and I went out to breakfast at our favorite local dive, then I had site walks for our conservation commission (in prep for our meeting Tuesday evening), and DW and I went to a nearby indoor farmer's market. We're finding that winter carrots (as well as other root vegetables) are wonderfully tasty! Maybe we'll do roasted veggies on the grill this weekend!

Have a great day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

A slow, gentle 70 minute run today in heavy fog

Something I don't understand about this Manti thing with the non-existent "girlfriend" that he had been having the "relationship" with for a couple of years. Can't a star college football player get a date with a real, live girl?? Or am I missing something here? I mean, I was socially inept and attended an all-male engineering college, but still I had a couple of real girlfriends during those years.

Another big turnout for the club's run today, with everyone taking advantage of a fairly mild day before the cold front arrives tonight. It was mid-30s and the predicted wind hadn't kicked up yet. The group split into a fast and slower bunch, and I somehow ended up with the fast ones. I hung in there until the others got warmed up, and then perchcreek and the others pulled on ahead. I finished the 6 miles as a lone medium-pace runner between the fast and slower groups.

Cleaned up the house a bit when I returned, and I leave in an hour to pick up my DW at the airport. And so my bachelor days once again come to an end...

And how are your weekends so far?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Hi all!

Was seeing something the other day about the demise of decent investigative journalism, and yes, I couldn't agree more.  We seem to be getting fed a steady diet of cheap sensationalism these days.

Spent an hour and 45 min on the spin bike this morning, followed by planks, as I'm still not even close to getting back running.  Would have gone longer, but the bike is making some noises I don't like, so will have to check the levelling and the lubrication.

Had what I hope is the last shockwave treatment yesterday.  The physiotherapist and I had a discussion about his ham-handed tech that  hurt me last week.  Luckily, he wasn't in the clinic yet when I got there, so I automatically got the guy I like anyway.  We'll see how this week goes and see if I need another session on Friday.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

evanflein

I recognize the At Room Temperature reference. Where is Rosie these days anyway?

Thanks for the hugs, Mariposai, got it at the end of a very difficult week. Actually, the presentations ("employee forums") are going well. We did 3 on Thursday, 2 in Anchorage yesterday and then will do 2 more in Juneau next week. I'm certainly getting plenty of "public speaking" practice, that's for sure. I wouldn't mind if i wasn't sick, but dealing with this chest congestion and cough along with the stress of work is a little more of a challenge than I prefer. No run since what, Tuesday? Bleh. We got home after midnight last night and slept in this morning.

Ribs, I love those 30+ mile weekends. Sort of a hallmark of the Higdon plan I loosely follow. Have fun with that!

Just very disappointed in the whole Lance thing, and yeah, I believed him too. Phooey.

Glad to hear Holly and Jlynne are on the mend. I hope Mariposai gets better and enjoys her weekend retreat (at home, gotta love that). Heme, that shock treatment doesn't sound like any fun, but I sure hope it helps your foot.

Marathon Maniac #957

We cancelled DH's 50th birthday party last month on 12/1 because we both had this miserable cold, and rescheduled it for tonight.  He offered to put it off again, but I didn't want to do that to him.   I can hardly believe I got the same cold AGAIN 7 weeks later, when I rarely get colds at all, so I think starting Monday I'm going to make a renewed effort with regards to nutrition and healthfulness.

Having gotten the house in a reasonable state of cleanliness, cake baked and appetisers prepared, 4 loads of laundry done and folded, I will spend the rest of the evening relaxing and nibbling and attempt to stay awake until after 10pm once again.  Joking

9 slow miles this morning - 5 outside in a windy 36 degrees and 4 more on the TM watching Downton Abbey. My legs feel fine, but this was as much energy as I had.  I HATE to give in to a cold and not run at all, especially with my weight where it is, but I may have to give it a few more days to get back to normal running.

Mariposai - {{{hugs}}} I hope you get the weekend of rest and pampering you deserve....Smile

C-R - I agree, and you and Twocat both said it well.

SteveP - adorable!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

10 mile chilly cheeks race this AM result 1:22:31 within a couple of seconds of last year.  Then ran the rigor mortis mile in 7:58 not bad considering it was 25 minutes after the 10 mile.

As a retired detective I did have a few call outs for "at room termperature" persons but lots for the much worse "FUBAR" call outs Black eye

Get well Holly!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mariposai

Especially since the advent of 24-hour news stations and electronic journalism, more and more networks/writers struggle to fill the air and pages, and so do so with nonsense rather than facts. It's tough to know anymore where to turn to get the facts, just the facts.

Well said! I think all of us just feel betrayed...where do we turn to get reliable news?

Enjoy your 30 miler weekend, Spareribs. I started implementing it in my training cycle last time around and it sure made me stronger and it  gave me a mental boost about my fitness.

Holly, have fun at the party! Just drink an extra glass of wine and you will be out all night after you go to bed.

Erika, what is your racing schedule for this year? I sure would love to meet up with you at a race or when you come down to Seattle. I need to look at the marathon maniac website to find a marathon I want to race and commit to it. Not having a goal for a race is driving me crazy.

Great MIL to Tramps and Bregercito!

Stumpy, I wish you short weather for your run tomorrow.

Yeahh, being on my "throne" all day has been exquisite! Next time I do this I will NOT be sick so I can enjoy more. No running for me, but I may go out for a walk since I just woke up from a three hour nap and I need some fresh air.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard