Masters Running

It's Tuesday, 12.2.14! (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I do hope Aamos is OK, and am concerned that she just disappeared after Philly.

Nice tri yesterday, Marj!

Thanks for the tip on Lapham's Quarterly Journal, Ribs. I did a fly-by and it looks very interesting, different. I want to dive in (to mix my metaphors) a little deeper.

Mariposai, I don't own a scale, so the only time I step on one is when I go for my annual physical. So my next weigh-in will be sometime in May/June.

I had a very frustrating meeting with our Board of Selectmen last night. They chose to not support a Town warrant article for next March's Town Meeting that would have asked for a modicum of funding to rebuild a failed dam at a town-owned pond. There is another way around it, but without Selectmen support, we've got a big obstacle to overcome before we even get started. Meanwhile, the dam has failed, and it is only the work of some industrious beavers that is still holding some of the water back.

This morning, I got up, fed the cat, got back in bed, lay for a couple of minutes, then got up again, got dressed and headed out the door. I went 4.7 RW miles in 32F temps under mostly clear skies. I was a bit under dressed for the temp, so I kept working reasonably hard to keep warm enough. Turns out, it was a good workout.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Jay, on FB, message me with your address and select from "Death", "Intoxication", "Animals" or "Comedy" and I will mail you one of my Lapham's.  No need to return it either.  They're just sitting on my shelf and I have no use for them. That would be a useful deeper dive.

5 miles with the Saint at the Park. Mid-30's and not much wind so it was very pleasant.  Spareribs

Jay - Pay the beavers more and they'll do an even better job.

4 quiet predawn miles this a.m., except for the wandering (mind and body) homeless guy who I did my best to maneuver away from.  He was talking some pretty strange gibberish, and I had my pepper spray at the ready.  Don't see too many folks like him up in the area of town I run, so it was a bit surprising.

The Hub and I have come to the realization that we need to suck it up and buy a new bed.  It's been an issue for awhile, but it's gotten worse for me over the past couple of weeks and my bad is really cranky today.  This bed was a lemon from Day One, and I should have insisted harder with the store that I wanted to return it.  We've only had it for about 5 years, 6 at the most and it sucks.  I don't know the brand off the top of my head, but I know it's a "name brand," so we expected a good bed.  Oh well.  Lesson learned.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Pay the beavers more and they'll do an even better job.

I, too, am worried about Amy.  I hope she checks in soon to let us know how she is.

DD's first official basketball game is tonight, and fortunately for me it doesn't start until 5:30, so I should be able to catch most of it.

5.3 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

leslie - sorry about the bad back and bed

Have you tried other positions?

amy - Sunday's Seattle Marathon was the first time I've attended any of the Marathon Maniacs's post-race festivities since you dragged me over after the SM-SMGhost double in November 2005 for the membership I'd been denying ever since 2003.  In fact, since he'd been after me since then, MM#1 remembered it and you very well.

Gotta love this getting older business.
            From 2003-2005, while my now 83-yo Ironman mentor Dr. Feman was being flown to Germany, Lanzarote, etc. for Ironman races (and still is) and his GF Sylvia represented the USA in World Duathlons in Australia, I was entering five or six triathlons a year from super-sprint (minimal 0.25mi swim) to Ironman distances (2.4mi/112mi/26.2mi), but to no avail for anything.

Now that I’m only doing one super-whissy sprint a year with no swimming or cycling training and only my regular running in between, I got invited to next year’s nationals in my now super-extenuated 70-74 AG. Who said it's a crime to be the only one racing in your AG.  Too bad they don’t have a super-sprint division. That won’t stop me from framin’ the letter though.

Hi Jon,

Congratulations!
            You've qualified for the 2015 USA Triathlon Olympic-Distance National Championships in Milwaukee, WI. Below is your registration link to register for the event, which takes place August 8, 2015. For registration questions contact registration@usatriathlon.org.
            ps - early registration is only $165.00.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

janie b good

spitting a snow/rain mix outside, so I opted for the TM once again.

3.25 miles

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Now that I’m only doing one super-whissy sprint a year with no swimming or cycling training and only my regular running in between, I got invited to next year’s nationals in my now super-extenuated 70-74 AG. Who said it's a crime to be the only one racing in your AG.  Too bad they don’t have a super-sprint division. That won’t stop me from framin’ the letter though.

And I'm not touching the "other positions" comment.  . . . . .

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Weather weirdness.

70 here on Saturday (I went skiing in the high country where it was 30s-40s at 9000-10000 feet)

52 Sunday morning, which dropped 20 degrees in less than a half hour; and by the late afternoon it was 15 or 16 (ran 8 miles, tired)

Blustery cool yesterday in the 30s (5 miles)

Almost too hot today in the 60s (6 miles)

Not feeling too well these days running-wise. This will pass eventually.

Wow, Tet! I'm impressed! Some of my best running friends are Ironman-caliber triathlete men & women, so I know how impressive your achievements have been. By the way, I used that link in your post to sign up under your name -- sorry (Tet Sujin, right?).

I've been absent here mainly because I haven't been running due to my knee (Dr. appointment tomorrow), but also because we have just been really busy the last few weeks with all sorts of things going on. Right now our family's in the throes of a game of "musical cars": sell DS's aging car -> DS gets DW's newer car -> DW takes over driving my car -> I get a new one. And naturally, even though this was all DW's idea, the execution is all on me! So after transacting the first exchanges over the weekend, I now have DS's Saturn Ion in our garage waiting for me to list it on Craigslist, my DW is happily off somewhere in the Outback, and I just found out that the car that was ordered for me at the dealership has been "lost" and they don't know when it will arrive. Looks like I'll be driving a beat-up Saturn for a while yet. 

Today I did a swimming session and actually ramped it up to do more continuous laps. A few 100-yard sets really got my HR up, but I can't sustain it like I can when running since my technique gets really sloppy as soon as I start to tire. But I'll keep working on it.

At least most of you are out there running as usual. Keep it up, folks!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Back in the Eastern Time Zone after an all-day trek from Victoria.

It was wonderful to see the kids.

Although I've missed out on my turkey again, I've also missed out on quite a few runs and today is no better, as I've been working from home and napping in short cycles.

Maybe tomorrow.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Doug--well, she did the hard work of coming up with a plan.   And I would admit--I like the sound of any plan that ends with "I get the new car".

Into the end of year madness at work.  We got back from Rochester yesterday mid afternoon, and after unpacking the car and my suitcase, I repacked it and went to bed early for a Jay o'clock airport departure.  now writing in Roanoke, VA.  tomorrow more at the site, then home VERY early (12:30am) on Thursday for a half day at work and then off to South Jersey for a day (I hope).  My foot is feeling better, but not sure if there's any running time in there anywhere.

The Lapham's Quarterly looks like it might be a good gift for my FIL--he's very tough to find gifts for, and he likes that sort of reading.

Glad the beavers have a good sense of community, even if the politicians don't.  You might end up with the Town Swamp.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Evening all.

Sorry about the Selectmen Jay. I've heard you can always tell a politician but you can't tell them much. Actually someone told me that was for Germans (which I am one) but it seemed apt.

Leslie - we used a pillow topper on ours and it works great. Low cost alternative. I'm not going anywhere near the position comment either.

Good luck with BB Holly.

Tet - very nice. You try to fool people into thinking you're not athletic but we know different.

Hope the knee is ok roch.

Glad your foot is better. Roanoke? Isn't that a lost colony?

Got an early run and a late run today. Ugh. Feeling very tired these days. Not sure why but perhaps things are catching up a bit.

Off to do some chores and perhaps call it early today.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

By the way, I used that link in your post to sign up under your name -- sorry (Tet Sujin, right?).

Thanks doug.  Have fun!
                            Actually, back in my faster days, one of my sub-40 minute running friends took advantage of my late-season skiing to enter an early-season 10K under my name so he wouldn’t be embarrassed in results that were faithfully printed in the local newspaper in those days.  I still tell him how much I appreciated it.  I'll be counting on you too. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - I love it!

DD's basketball game was one of those edge-of-your-seat thrill rides, neck-and-neck the entire tame.  They finally lost in overtime by 2 points, but it was a great game to watch (if exhausting).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."