Masters Running

Mother's Day: 5.10.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' and Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

I hope Mariposai had a great time at the trail half yesterday! According to weatherman and scenic guide, Tet, she was going to have a terrific day to race.

Congrats to Henrun on an 80+ PR 5K! And I hope you and Marj had a greta time at the Pops last night.

Nice string of 35+ weeks, Ribs. Keep up the good work - and the protein. Great photo too!

Good luck to Deeze in her first tri of the season today!

Nice 12er, CNY. Seems you have a very effective way of dealing with travel stress.

Sorry you struggled yesterday, TSelbes, but good run anyway.

Congrats on the 25K trail AG hardware, Nancy! That post-race porch nap was well-earned.

Congrats also to Tammy for her AG hardware in a tough 5K, and to David for continuing to improve and impress. He looks good on a podium.

And congrats too to Aamos for 3rd place in her sandy trail 5K. Wow - the goddesses did some greta racing yesterday!

Holly, I was worn out just reading about all your yardwork yesterday - cross training, indeed!

Milktruck and I did the Big Lake Half in Alton, NH yesterday. It was in the mid 40s and overcast at the start, but then the sun crept out a bit, and the temp crept up to about the upper 50s. This race is mostly flat for the 1st 2-3 miles, then mostly uphill till about mile 7, then a steep downhill, and big and small rollers till mile 11, when there is just one more uphill and then a gradual decline and flat to the finish. Milktruck tells me every year that he hates the rollers because he can never get a good rhythm going there, but he keeps coming back, so something must be working well for him. After the start, I stayed with a guy and a girl for the long uphill. The girl and I traded being in front of each other, and the guy would never let me pass him, so I was on his shoulder for quite a while. He got away when we went to the downhill, so I focused elsewhere. I finally passed the girl with a good spurt at the beginning of the rollers, and never saw her again. The guy came back into view by about mile 9, and I passed him on an uphill at mile 11. I heard him coming after me, but he was too spent by that point, and I never saw him again either. I had checked my splits going up the long hills, and had managed to keep them in the 10s, which was pretty good for me. So, using other racers for motivation, I kept pushing and only backed off on a steep uphill at about mile 9 on which I just couldn't sustain my pace. But I got back on it as soon as I crested that hill, and kept pressing.

I saw Milktruck (who had long-since finished) out of the corner of my eye as I approached the finish, but I was working too hard and was too focused to even muster a wave (but thanks for the photo you posted yesterday!). I learned later that he had finished 3rd in his AG, which earned him a coveted bottle of maple syrup! Just after I finished, another friend came up to talk to me, but I couldn't, and I felt bad. But I had to walk and let my body relax before I could engage in any meaningful conversation with anyone. My time was 2:22:50, which was a RW half marathon PR by about 1:20. And I also finished 3rd in my AG, so I snagged some Big Lake syrup too. Milktruck looked great after the race! I felt like a well-used dish rag. But this too shall pass...

I was up at the usual time this morning, and went for 3 very easy miles.

Have a greta Mother's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

That's just remarkable Jay. I can't begin to think what the guy and gal were thinking as you beat them while walking.  Nice swag too.

We got lightning'd out today at the Lake. Drove out there and turned around and came home.  It's hammering outside and the lightning is constant.  I'm smoking pork spareribs for Mother's Day dinner and the family will all be here, except for Hudson who has to work. Sure hope the rain lets up so I can light the grill.

So today will be a zero and maybe it's  a good day to do it.  We're off to Mass and then a Mother's Day brunch at Hudson's school.  Spareribs

mrrun

Nice races and runs yesterday for all - see Jay for specifics!

we're shortly off to bicycle with 2 GC and parents - what I love to do on mother's day.  last year, 3 adults ran, while the kids bicycled.  now they're just too fast for us, so we're all biking (altho 7 yo boy has major road rash from fall last week & he may be on scooter instead).  Last night's concert/film was lots of fun.  Boston Pops played music to Singing in the Rain - put a whole new perspective to the movie

have a wondrous day,

marj

coastwalker AG 3rd and a new PR!!!!  Great job!  I would love to have had a mic on the people you were passing!

I ran the local Mother's Day 10k.  I had a good race finishing under 45 minutes.  Hopefully, that is a good sign for the Vermont City Marathon in two weeks!

Happy Mother's Day to all of our RA masters moms!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

coastwalker AG 3rd and a new PR!!!!  Great job!  I would love to have had a mic on the people you were passing!

+1  When I was running the Carmel Marathon, I passed a race-walker who was really cooking - took me some effort to pass him,  and I thought about Jay.

Twocat - nice racing!

SteveP - sounds like your new job is really working out nicely, and great racing for you and Noah yesterday!

Marj - enjoy your bike ride.

13 miles for me today in 67 degrees.  I saw my first goslings, little tiny things that must have been born in the last day or two.

Off too look at flowers and veggies to plant.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yay Jay: PR!  Wow.
              How do you think you did it compared to other races?

to you too twocat

What's your PR?

any chance of one at VCM..

I can't begin to think what the guy and gal were thinking as you beat them while walking.

I know exactly what they were thinking: “hmmmm, . . . maybe I should start walking too.”
              In fact, when I did start walking a couple of times as fast as I could in last week’s Bloomsday, I started passing all sorts of other pokey runners. Too bad it took such a long time about ten years ago to realize that walking is faster in the ascents in many of the mountain trail runs around here but it’s even harder to accept when I still think I should be running when it’s flat.
              Nice early season triathlon for deezie.
              It is a series or something
              Have you always used aerobars?
              I’d been using Scott racing poles for years when the skiers at Scott Ski Pole Company in Sun Valley, Idaho invented “downhill bars” in 1987 so I immediately knew whatever they would make would be a perfect adaptation to the cycle leg of the triathlons I’d already been doing annually for ten years.  Unfortunately, production of the then-clip-ons was limited for the pros, . . . and expensive.  Therefore, we fashioned our own out of PVC piping and old broom handles.  They make at least 1-mph improvement on the flats, and way more on the screaming descents I used to love in some triathons with the wind whipping and feeling almost as fast as in downhill ski racing.  Have fun.

ps - hope mariposai didn't get lost in the sunflowers up in the sunny alpine meadows of the Methows

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Not only did jay run a super race, but he  then posted one of his inimitable summaries to get us started.  I'd envy anyone else (like you, milktruck!) the real maple syrup (one of the many things I miss from western MA), but not Jay.  Just hope you enjoy it .....and since you and the DW are breakfast enjoyers, I have no worries on that wish.  Congrats all!

And especially his observation on all Holly did yesterday, yowzer!

So glad work is so excellent, Steve, but honestly, you could get a writing job.  Another wonderful Noah and Tag tale, so glad it ended happily ever after with ice cream.  Especially loved the feather part.

Congrats, twocat!

One of the best movies ever, "Singin in the Rain." I am a huge fan of Gene Kelly.  Love "Cover Girl," with Phil Silvers and Rita Hayworth...."get there on your feet, not your face."

Mari, report due.....

I took Karin's advice about the hills to heart and did 4 roundtrip bridge crossings on my 18 miler this am.  71 ok degrees (we had a breeze) and just 82 at the end AND a glorious sunrise.  AND I got to run with some of my mom-runner friends and wish them Happy Mothers' Day, and same again to all moms here.    Enjoy the day!

grins,

A  (ps: thought the movie was a good rendition of the book.  Supper got a good review as well)

Modified:  watching weather channel during lunch to see "blizzard like conditions" in Rapid, along w/ tornado warning in eastern SD.

Dallas still looking yukky....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Greta job on the AG placing and PR, Jay!

A terrible tragedy Friday out at the park where we spend so much time running and biking. A car with five 17yo boys, traveling on the park road at a high rate of speed (the limit is 35; they may have been going double that), lost control just before where the road goes over the south dam. The car hit the guardrail, flipped over it, slid & rolled along the embankment, through a fence, and down a 20-foot drop to the spillway. Only one was wearing a belt; the other four were thrown out with three dead at the scene and the other two still in critical condition. Simply horrible. It took me back to the days when I was the parent of a teenage boy with less than stellar judgement, and the nights when I'd go to bed but not be able to sleep until I finally heard the garage door going up. I was thinking of the families again this morning, and the three local mothers who wouldn't be getting Mothers Day cards today...

I was really fried after a 40-mile bike ride on Friday with the temperature rising into the mid-80s, but managed to get out for a run this morning in threatening conditions. I've found that Accuweather's "Minutecast" feature on my smartphone is really accurate for predicting oncoming rain, but I still thought I could beat it. I should have known: about a mile from the finish I got caught in a sudden downpour and was quickly soaked. It was already a cool day for a run, so the rain felt really cold! The only good part was that it got me going at my best pace since before I got into this recent injury spiral.

Keep running (but stay dry) everyone! And Happy Mothers Day to all our great moms out there!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Doug that's so tragic indeed. And yes as the mother of two former teenage boys there were many times I couldn't relax till they were home. Now one is a Marine, so I still worry...

Great racing, Jay! And Tet, I always walk in marathons. The least I think I've ever walked was my second Boston, Newport and Victoria. All the others, hey I don't mind walking a bit, especially up the hills and especially if they're later in the race! But I've never been in (that I noticed) a race with a racewalker. I'm sure it would be a humbling experience!

15.1 miles today, pretty steady consistent pacing if not a bit too fast. Again, kind of fell apart the last 2 miles back up the hill. It's nice to start my runs with a 2 mile downhill run, but coming back up at the end of a long run really sucks. Oh well, makes me stronger, right?  Now to get cleaned up and ready for DS1 and his GF to come over for dinner.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Jay--I think what you do is amazing.  Congratulations!

Roch--that is really terrible news.  That story could have very easily been about me when I was a kid.  I never drove recklessly, but I was in cars many times with friends that were doing the craziest things.  I would always sit in the back seat, close my eyes, and pray that I would get out of there alive.  I can't help but wonder if, at least, one of those boys was doing the same thing...scared to death but afraid to let his buddies know...it's very sad.

I didn't run today.  My right calf has started hurting.  I don't know what's going on with me.  I'm falling apart.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

Oh!  Happy Mothers Day to all the women in here!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great racing, Jay.  PR AND maple syrup!  Sweet! (sorry)

Speedy 10K, TC.  How's that in terms of PRs?  Enjoy the VT marathon.  It cheated me out of a chance to meet Hudson (oh, and Karin, too) at Pinelands.

Very nice LRs for the ladies today.

I got 9.5 in this morning.  I had intended something in the vicinity of 13 today, but it was already into the 70's not long into the run.  So when I got to the park where I wanted to do a 3 mile loop, I turned around and headed back.  Based on very little speed, I ended up with almost as much time as I was hoping for.  did a lot of drinking this afternoon and evening, as the town hasn't turned on the water fountains yet (usually by May 1) so got a little thirsty.

Happy belated Mother's Day (for a couple more hours, anyway).

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

That is outstanding, Jay!!

Roch, we had a similar incident up here last month. DW's nephew has a broken back as a result. The survivors have every charge possible filed against them.

SteveP