Masters Running

How to get rid of unwanted leg muscle and other ?'s (Read 167 times)

I stopped running over the winter to recover from a pulled hamstring. The 2 months of physical therapy and weight workouts have left my legs musculer. I dont want to lug around an additional 10lbs of muscle weight. So any ideas on how to lose the leg muscle weight? Also, is running on the outside of the foot over pronation or under pronation and does it require a stability shoe? I run on the outside of my right foot only and it goes numb after a few miles. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

First - You might want to consider getting a gait analysis from a reputable running shoe store, after which they can fit you with the appropriate shoe. Second - Unless you're bulked like Hulk Hogan Wink, muscular legs will be more helpful than detrimental. I've been going through PT for the last few weeks for a nagging knee problem. I've definitely increased the muscle tone in my legs, and not only has my running improved, but I am less likely to end up with knee, hip, etc., problems specifically because I've built up the muscles that protect and support those areas. Strength training for both the upper and lower body is important for runners, which is why your physical therapist put you through those exercises in the first place. However, if you wish to decrease muscle strength and tone, simply quit doing the exercises. Over time things will go back to the way they were. I honestly don't mean for this to sound snotty, and I hope it doesn't. Best of luck to you ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance