Masters Running

Wed Oct 22 Runs and Workouts (Read 535 times)

Henrun

Like many in the great northeast I didn't want to deal with the cold and drizzle this morning, so I went for a swim at the local pool. It felt good and relieved some tightness in my knee and shoulder. Funny, I don't swim much when the the weather is warm but start on a regimen when late fall arrives. Marj and I were cleaning out some stuff tonight and I happened to come across my numbers and results of m;y first 3 marathons-all Boston-ages 42-44-1976-78. They were 3:43;3:26 and 3:10. (I guess I was pretty fast then Smile. The 1976 race had a temp of 100 F. and 75p.c. humidity. That was before all the electrolyte drinks-not sure how we survived then.
      Bob those are some amazingly consistent miles! Flat terrain I assume? Good job!
      No Erika actually there is a nice downhill to start the second mile and coming back I hit that as an uphill to end mile 4. There aren't too many true "flat" routes where I run. Thanks anyways, that was pretty much what I was shooting for...consistency! Wink

The Jogger

Just a quick post as it's 1am and I'm just in from work. Had to say what a great pic to kick off the thread. Bet that was a fun evening. 9m on a hilly trail 10:33 pace. Good Runs All Roy
          henrun....that is really cool! How did you survive? Tramps, Tim, TPL - toilet paper logic no seriously, target pace level. I am not sure why Matt Fitzgerald did this renaming and re-numbering other than to avoid using someone else's vdot system. He claims you should do all your key workouts AT race pace for whatever you are training for, and not slightly slower, to train your brain to feel that pace. His TPL charts are really just vdot charts inverted and re-numbered. Unlike the McMillan calculator, I find these TPL's way overestimate how fast you can go at the longer distances. And just like the vdot system, it gives you pace ranges to work in for recovery runs, long runs etc, based on your recent race times. He has a good section on core workouts that I like. And proprioceptive exercises which he claims have made him a much better runner. So, just never mind, it wasn't important anyway. There is just no way someone like me could improve that much over 6 months. That was my main point.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

heheheh... I ran tonight... I feel so naughty! Evil grin But I also did my 20 minutes of pool running and icing after dinner. Foot is mad at me but I don't really care...
            SteveP

Sweet way to start the day WRFB & PDR!!! Thanks Work can sure scew up our running Gordon...Sorry dude. Kewl Munch!!!!
              heheheh... I ran tonight... I feel so naughty! Evil grin ...
              12 hours of moving windows and doors cross training. Then I met DW and my younger brother for dinner. He's just a good guy and it was nice for us to get together. When DW and I got home, the stars seemed close enough to touch. On the eastern horizon, we saw a shooting star. DW said "Make a wish".....I thought of what she means to me and said, "It's already come true".

SteveP