Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.22.15 (Read 36 times)

Neat that Holly and ribs had a meetup.  Nice speedwork, Tammy.

This morning, it was about 15° and almost calm when I went  out.  My Ice Trekkers and I got in 5 miles at an 11:09 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Dave, what a cute picture of Riley yesterday!  How does Annabelle like being a big sister?  When are you visiting them again?

My DH was taking statins to lower his cholesterol, but they caused muscle wasting, which is apparently a common side effect, so his doc took him off of them.  Are any of you taking statins?  DH's research showed that there are a lot of other issues with them. Let me know if any of you are interested.

6 miles today in the squeaky cold snow!  We had about 5" of powder yesterday, and it's gorgeous out there.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hope everyone had a greta Thursday. Thanks for explaining your foot and heel strike theories, Amy. We all have to do what works best for us. My podiatrist recommended a stif shoe so I have a pair of Asics gel Kayanos that are still in the box. I may try them at the Y tomorrow.

Our health insurance has an $20 incentive for using a fitness facility 12 times in a month. That explains why I have been at the Y so often. MrStarr will easily get his $20 but I didn't start going until Jan 15th so can only miss 2 more days now. I did get there after work for a quick workout. Our nephew and his wife invited us over for dinner tonight. Ana is from Malaysia and such a good cook. We had a good time but now

I am dead tired here and ready for bed.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Tammy's coach rocks! Great job on your speed workout, miss tamster.

Holly, I agree with you, that is way too much stress to deal with for a "wellness program"

tselbs, great job on that 5 miler on ice.

Speaking of ice, I was not able to run outside today due to our icy road conditions. 3 miles on the TM before Winter Wellness program.

Be healthy my friends!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

10.1 miles on the treadmill tonight, with intervals...

After a 3 mile progressive pace warm up, did 3 minutes @ 7:54 (7.6 mph) with 2 minutes at 8:34,

then did 3 x 1 minute @ 7:30 pace (8 mph) with 2 minutes @ 8:34 between them.

Finished the last 2.5 miles bouncing around between 8:34 and 8:20

Something odd tonight... at 8.7 miles, the treadmill belt just stopped. Timer kept going, and no power blips detected (lights didn't flicker). I hit "stop" and waited a few seconds (like 30....) then hit start again. It started up just like normal and had no problems after that. I've never had that happen before without a power outage. Anyone ever had their TM belt just stop? Glad it didn't happen when I was running harder, but it still was pretty sudden and jarring. Hate it when that happens.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

HEALTH INSURANCE

when I was working for a certain state that has a university with which erika is associated Smile , they made us have yearly check-ups. Now that I'm on their retirees' coverage,, there is no preventative coverage anymore and, when I turned 71, my life insurance premium jumped 3X with even more scheduled for future birthdays.  thaks a lot.

ICE

Not much in the way of challenging skiing terrain in Michigan but I remember several instances of ice-skating on frozen rain on sidewalks and streets that was really weird as it didn't look like it was icy at all and seemed as if you were skating on dry pavement.

MURDER RATES DECREASING

I can't even digest that information twocat.

You might as well try to convince me that I'm faster at age 71 than I was when I started at age 34.  However, since I'm guessing the stranger deaths are associated with other crimes in progress, there's still got to be a lot more of the senselessly random, madman killings for no other motive except to kill. All of 'em are bad though.

TERRORISTS INCREASING

In the meantime, there's a sudden silence in Japan on the status of negotiations, if any, to squelch the excution of the two Japanee journalists that was scheduled to be taking place right about now in Syria. My idea is that the mega-companies that make so much profit off of business there (and of us too everywhere) should pay the ransom and increase their prices in the offending countries, or close down operations, so all their thousands of local employees will speak up or take action, or both, against the terrorists instead of treating them as heros for killing innocent journalists.   YUK

RUNNING - 26.2 miles, I mean 42.195km, up and down Mt. Oyama planned but depends on the wonderful people who've made it possible or me to be here in the first place.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Is that incentive or threat?  

Exactly.

While I wouldn't mind it if it was just things like getting a physical, dental and vision exams, and flu shots, we also have to do a series of trackers or coaching sessions, things that last 5 weeks or more to get the points - it's just time-consuming to keep up on.  And the worst part is that the website is just not user-friendly.  I work with computers every day, and still had to send a series of emails to the website support with questions about how to use it.

Erika - we no longer get credit for not smoking because the smokers complained that they were being discriminated against.

Re: the TM shutting down, I have had that before and thought it might be a belt friction problem - a little lubricant and it was fixed.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wrong day -- moved.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"