Masters Running

Pre-holiday Wednesday, 11.25.15 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for volunteering at the Feaster Five, Deeze, and have fun in the race! Nice run in yesterday's chill.

"Eggs and Bakey?" Is that a band? How was dinner last night, Holly?

Yeah, Stumpy; it's time for the longwear to help deal with the chill Doesn't TwoCat have a chart that tells him what to wear in what weather?

Way to tough it out in 50+ temps, Aamos!   Congrats on a good Monkey and 2 BBQ joints, and good luck in your TT and at the grocery store.

Sorry about the dumping, Leslie, but good work in the shed, in spite of the bad influence of the Hub.

Welcome to the walker's world, Tet!

Nice elliptical & pool work TW. Have a blast with Claire and family!

Nice run, TSelbes. Have a good early Thanksgiving with your son.

I'm glad you had a snowtastic run, Mariposai.

Nice run, Mike. Can't help with your monkey bite question...

Tough trip, Evanflein! I'm glad you are having such a good time - you deserve it.

Your computer knows you so well, Steve.

Last night's meeting was only 2 hours, and was very productive. No meetings today, thank goodness. I'm not in any kind of racing shape, so I'm volunteering at a local turkey trot tomorrow morning. The relatives arrive late in the day tomorrow, and we'll have our Thanksgiving feast on Friday.

5.3 RW miles in 24F temps, under a beginning-to-think-about-setting fool moon. It was refreshing out, and kept me moving. I saw something streak across the sky and break up as it (presumably) entered earth's atmosphere. It broke into 3-4 chunks, and was lit up for about 30 seconds or so, so a good light show to start the day.

Have a greta Wednesday, and travel safely if you must.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Your light show sounds stunning, Jay ~

Tet - Walking or running or biking, you continue to impress us day after day.

SteveP - Was there ever a doubt?

Tselbs - Happy Early Turkey Day.

Erika - I keep forgetting you're in Hawaii, so when you said it wasn't as humid, for a second I was like 

BRRR freaking BRRR!  34 degrees when I went out for my predawn run.  I know some of you are probably chuckling at that, but that's dang cold for us.  Last year was such a mild winter, I don't remember it ever getting that low.  But what a stunningly beautiful full moon!  Huge, white, with a soft layer of clouds lying just beneath it - a big spotlight in the sky.  Mornings like this morning are why I love predawn running.

The Hub, in an effort to defrost my car, hosed it off around 6:00 a.m. before he left for an AA meeting.  Hmmm . . . 34 degrees, water - yeah, my entire vehicle was frozen over when I went to leave for work.  Gotta love him for trying . . .

We're not doing much tomorrow, and will probably work in the morning at a couple of The Hub's jobs, since he wasn't able to work yesterday and probably won't be able to today, either; still too wet.  So no turkey trot for me tomorrow.

But wishing you all a wonderful Turkey Day.  Eat Too Much!!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

The Hub, in an effort to defrost my car, hosed it off around 6:00 a.m. before he left for an AA meeting.  Hmmm . . . 34 degrees, water - yeah, my entire vehicle was frozen over when I went to leave for work.  Gotta love him for trying . . .

Not quite up on winter no-no's....

Jay - cool meteor siting...

I took the day off work, intending to get ahead on my pie cooking since I am racing in the morning at our local Turkey Trot.  Already one (if not THE) largest Turkey Trots in the country, I understand we have well over 9.000 registered runners, and may set a new record this year.  I took DD to an early ortho appointment, then went to the Expo to pick up my packet, and DD suddenly decided she wanted to do the one-mile non-competitive event, so I got her registered for that.  The hard part will be getting her out of bed in the morning....

5.3 miles for me this morning in 38 degrees, followed by P90X Chest, Shoulders and Triceps.

Happy Long Weekend!!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oh my goodness!!

Steve P - unbalanced?? How dare they!!

Tet - you are so awesome!!

Erika - enjoy the nice weather and your family!

One side dish down for tomorrow -- wild rice and quinoa pilaf. Did the prep work for Roasted brussels sprouts, cinnamon butternut squash, pecans and cranberries dish, and made the quinoa for my Best-Ever Chocolate Quinoa Cake -- will finish up tonight. Tomorrow no time for cooking between the road race and getting to my brother's for diner.

Today's workout  spin/core/arms at 5:30am!

Oh - I bought a new bike yesterday when I went in to pick up my Garmin 920xt

So excited (altho dh is quite NOT thrilled)

denise

Sayhey! MM#130

Love reading about everyone's holiday prep and bustle (except for the  well-meaning Hub's activity, Leslie).

I am still at work, but we did get some food last night after work (altho I was late to the market and DH was in the checkout, I was in warmish water for a bit......)

Really hope we have no bad news tomorrow and the parades and games all are uneventful.

Oh, monkey bite in a good way meaning not injured, just feeling some muscles .  Hope I am not feeling them tomorrow morning at the 5K!

We had a wood stork (they're endangered) out back yesterday, but he's not there today.  Maybe with the quiet due to the holiday, he'll return. k.  Image result for wood stork

deez, you're a whirlwind, good thing you got a new Garmin!

You'll have fun and find joy whatever you do at the marathon, tet.

Best to everyone.  Good luck in the am, Holly.   <...wonder if Erika is enjoying some shave ice right now....>

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

Out for a couple of sunny, cold miles early this morning. Then downtown to physical therapy. Been working on my right rotator cuff (shoulder) which is much improved after 6-7 visits. Taking care of some "minor" medical problems. Next Wednesday I'm having outpatient surgery for a Dupetryn's Contracture on my left hand (;often occurs as one ages". The following Monday I'm being evaluated for a second cataract removal. Fortunately none of these conditions have interfered with my running. Aging has its problems-but, considering the alternative------

We usually do a Turkey Trot on turkey day but, we're having a family feast here for 9 tomorrow and Marj is doing the turkey. And, since 3 of the nine are preteen grandkids, it's an early feast.

Happy Thanksgiving all and happy "trotting" to all the racers.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya henry and marj!  Just closing down and checked y'all out one last time.....oh, and just 6 for me; I think I am really having a taper week this week.

Blessings to all of you and yours.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I figured today would be a light day in the daily. Look it is!

coastwalker if you need a meeting to go to I am sure we can arrange one. How about, the committee meeting to schedule future meetings and review the past meeting schedule? 

fatozzig why people like us should move to the Caribbean.

Holly S. 9,000 runners? Not even close to the country's largest! I have no idea which one is but if you want to run with your 14,999 closest friends (they cap it at 15,000) go to http://www.manchesterroadrace.com/RaceDetailsShell.html. But I suspect they are sold out, so perhaps next year!

deez4boyz okay, maybe I am missing something, but was there a turkey on that list? No cooking tomorrow? 

AamosY birds are mercenaries. Feed 'em and they come back. What does that stork eat? But if it delivers babies you might want to consider the benefits of having an outside cat.  

henrun happy playing with the grandkids tomorrow.

Today was an elliptical day. Tomorrow my DW, her sister and some of our friends will leave from our house to the local 5 mile turkey trot. Then it will be a day of cooking and eating. Including a post race brunch. For that I smoked some salmon. I tell you if you have never tried smoking your own salmon you should! Easy, tastes great and cheap relative to what you pay at the store! Also done for tomorrow, drunken cranberry sauce. What you are buying that $#@%#$ in a can!? Easy as all get out to make your own, tastes way better and saves money! Win-win-win! Also done are bourbon, pecan mashed sweet potatoes and a chestnut soup. Still to go, a kale and persimmon salad (a first for me), whole roasted cauliflower with a mustard and parmesan coating, a ratatouille I am making in the slow cooker and of course a turkey that will spend tomorrow on the smoker. Dessert is courtesy of a friend. Happy eating and running you all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

BRRR freaking BRRR is right, Leslie!   Today I went out for a trail run, since we're supposed to get a bunch of snow over the next 2 days.  It was 38° at home, and I figured it would be warmer and mostly snow free lower down the canyon - and I really wanted to run in shorts and without screw shoes.  Well, I got my wish to run in shorts on a fairly dry trail, but I really underdressed!!!   It was only 32 down at the trailhead - and I thought it would be warmer down lower - plus it dropped to 28 by the time I finished!  Nothing like being cold to help pick up the pace!  Anyway, I ran 10 miles, and the first half was fun but the last half was cold!   I was glad I had a windbreaker and gloves, so my top half was fairly comfortable, but my legs were numb.  I could tell the temperature was dropping, because the water in my hydration vest tube froze.

Hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.