Masters Running

Fourth of July Daily (Read 679 times)

Renee the dog

As my husband, a naturalized citizen, and non-Christian says, "Your three-in-one God -- my Eight Immortals -- eh, it all points to the concept of humanity not being divinity." Anyway, I ran 3 mi this morning with Renee in 25:08 which is probably the fastest time I've ever put down for just "going out to run" in a 3 miler around town. And, I swear, I was touching the pavement, not just "Gumby-ing" along behind Renee! Scout's honor. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Happy 4th of July Everyone I just got back from my 5k race. I will post a RR later when the offical results are posted online. My watch said 24:05, but the finishing line clock said 23:31 7:36/mi pace! A new PR. Big grin Have a great 4th of July weekend everyone. Bruce
      Your hard work is paying off, and this is a summer race in So. Cal. I am looking forward to reading your report. I often tell people that with the fiveK it takes 3 of them to hit your stride. You ran well and I bet you can do even better. Stay healthy and keep at it. You really are impressive this year! Spareribs
        Started the day early, lying in bed listening to the NPR staff reading the Declaration of Independence aloud, an annual tradition I have enjoyed for many years. That document is all I need to observe the 4th. Off to the races and Heartboy walked a 5K in 15:18 minute miles! One of our running club buddies walked with him, and I ran the 10K "with" her DH--he's about 10 seconds per miler more fleet than I, so a great pacer, especially on an out and back course. Passed the walkers just before I finished. Gorgeous day, beautiful course in the canyon at Hot Springs. And the Red Sox won, even spotting the Yankees 4 outs in the bottom of the 9th! grins, A
        Masters 2000 miles
        Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Happy 4th of July!! The sun came out just in time for our BBQ after a cloudy and drizzly morning. I ran my 5K earlier and got to meet Enke , twice in less than a week!! Enke: Don't be down on yourself, I'm sure the majority of people out there this morning didn't have a long tough race in the legs from just 5 days ago, so I wouldn't worry about the clock, there are a few other 5K around here this summer and fall so many PR opportunities!! I'll post our photo with the RR , I've got some hair chopping to do now.... Francesca
            Sorry - I just can't help myself -- I like the people on this group, I really do, but please recognize that everyone isn't just like you, and others don't necessarily have the same background or belief system.
            As a non-American, I am probably not qualified to comment, but as Tina Turner says "What's God got to do with it?" Oh wait......that was a slightly different lyric. Just to let you know, I think a lot of other free, democratic countries wonder why the G word comes up so often in Presidential speeches and talks of freedom and liberty. We don't understand it.
            Thank you. I believe this nation is about "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", not Christianity.
            While I agree on the importance of the separation of church and state, it was probably meant to protect the church from interference from the state, what with the fact these people had left a "state church" atmosphere mainly to gain religious freedom.
            It goes both ways -- if the state mustn't interfere with the church -- and I believe this to mean that the state can't impose a religion on people, or even that any religion must be followed -- then the church mustn't interfere with the state. Otherwise, you can't help the former. I hope the fact that I am not Christian doesn't make anyone think that a) I am not a good person, b) I am not passionate about freedom, or, c) I am not patriotic. Today let's celebrate the independence of this nation, no matter what your religious beliefs, or non-beliefs.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

MTA:....Enke....Your question is a good one. Why does God play such an important part? Probably our heritage as a Christian nation is a main reason. No other nation has been founded on quite such a concept of including God. The thriving of our nation would be attributed by many as being a result of this "Godly foundation". As well there is the belief that God honors a nation that honors Him. This is probably one of the main reasons that many get concerned when God is taken out of a aspect of our American culture.
              I completely understand the importance of God in your nation from a historical perspective. So some people think that this country thrived so much because of its "Godly foundation" and not simply on the liberating ideal of "representation by the people" and economy-stimulating capitalism and abundant natural resources, do people really believe that?? I guess they do. I thought God only worked with individuals (maybe I know too little), you say he honours nations? How is that possible when the population is so diverse in their religious beliefs? I am not trying to be controversial. I really love every word you write and think you are a much better person than I.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Joey, as much as I like and respect you, and have enjoyed having you open our daily every day, you are so out of line with this irresponsible, bigoted theme that I finally must ask you, please stop. You have offended many people today. I know you didn't do it on purpose, but I am asking you not to do it again. Let's celebrate our great country's independence, and please keep your religious biases out of the thread. This site started as a running thread, and while we often stray from that subject with the minor issues of our daily lives, it has been an unwritten rule that we keep religion and politics out of it. It is irrelevant whether your view is right or wrong and you are not going to "win" this one. Back away from this and please don't do it again. Spareribs
                wildchild

Carolyn

I agree with Mr. Beer on this one. I don't subscribe to any organized religion. Watching a sunrise or sunset is better than church for me. I firmly believe in the freedom to worship (or not) as one sees fit. I love this country, but not the direction its heading in.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Top 'O the World!

Happy 4th of July Everyone!! - regardless of how or why you may or may not celebrate life on this beautiful planet!! Personally, I had a lovely 5K run w/the neighborhood children, followed by beer ~ & steaks are cooking....it's looking to be a beautiful sunset here on the front range...& Puurfeckt weather for fireworks & friends! Smile btw: I agree w/Carolyn & Lou on this one... Ciao! Cindy
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      Vista, I am completely open to discussing religion. We discuss it obliquely everyday when we talk about our runs, encourage each other, feel sympathy for the hurt runner, feel sympathy for those of us with tough life situations. Our running gives us faith that there is a better world out there and that our problems can be overcome. Therefore running itself is an elixir of religion. My DH thinks we are all crazy, in our endless pursuit of the next "great" run. There is a biochemical basis for this reward-seeking behaviour. Just like our addiction to alcohol or chocolate, the same reward pathways are fired and we feel the same momentary euphoria. Running is the only non-chemical way to get this high. Intense religious experiences may also fire this pathway, an interesting, but probably not relevant observation. I am getting off topic. I think discussion of politics, like SR said, is best discussed in another forum. But you were not discussing political issues per se, so please ignore him. You were discussing the generalized outlook of a magnificent nation. And I for one, appreciate that. But, and this is a big But, I think mixing religion and politics is something intrinsic to your and unfortunately other more threatening nations. That is what scares outsiders like myself.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Wow, ok... or alrighty then... I just scanned today's daily, but I'm not gonna touch most of this with a 10 ft pole. Holly, that's great news. I'm glad you've got the green light to do some running, just remember the conditions! I didn't run yesterday. Figured I'd listen to the "symptoms below the neck" warning and switched my Friday rest day for Thursday. Well, today's Friday, and I'm no better. This really sucks. My cough just tears my chest up and it hurts. Waaaahhh! Ok, 'nuff whining. I'm really Angry about this whole thing. Last time I was sick was over Christmas break... and now 4th of July! Drat it all anyway. (oops, guess I wasn't done whining) I spent 4 hours today out in the garden, weeding and thinning, watering, fixing the soaker hose fiasco (the connectors didn't leak when I tested them a few weeks ago!), etc. It's "soaking" now, and I'm going to be so sore tomorrow... My back is killing me. Guess it matches my chest now. I'm hoping for a run tomorrow, but I can guarantee it won't be the 8-10 I had planned... Dead (Hey Steve, WTG on the loot!)
                        dg.

Erika, I'm with you as far as the 10 ft. pole. {{{ }}} I'll give you a free pass to whine. You don't get enough nice weather to waste it being sick. don't know if anybody else will honor it, but if you get fined I'll buy. congratulations to all the racers today!!! & that includes you, DickyG (I'm with Queen Pam), & Enke. it is way past my bedtime.
                            Happy Independance Day!! Larry the runner, and since it came up Athiest Patriot and all American

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

DickyG

I'm absolutely thrilled that so many of yesterday's racers posted impressive performances...it really...REALLY...took some of the sting out of my rotten mood after my pitiful Peachtree performance. Of note: Sarge: I don't care what your 2001 time was...31:08 kicks butt. 8:10 uphill mile, 7:29 finish...I'm envious of your time...more important, I'm envious of your terrific attitude. Dave59: Congrats! You achieved your goal of a sub-60 10K...you actually murdered that goal...AND you ran a negative split for the final 5K...unlike a certain other member of this group, not mentioning any names. Bruce: PR? 7:36 pace? Outstanding! Any word on your age group placement? Steve: Awesome race, especially the final 7:35 uphill mile...you da man! You realize, of course, that all prizes must be distributed within the group. Doing my part, I will be distributing to each of you one share in a free waffle at Waffle House and a share of a free car wash at some place in Atlanta. Karin (CNYrunner): Already commented on your race report thread...your talent & determination is wonderful. Enkephalin: I don't know...your splits were consistent, your third mile beat your second even with a side stitch. I'm sure all of us have run race times slower than practice times...it just might have been a bit of an off day...but certainly not all that bad. Also: Holly: Wonderful news on your injury...I really think you were faking it all along so you could be closer to the chocolate: dg: Please contact a professional for nuking oatmeal instructions before you blow up your house. A final note to Ribs: I'm consistently awed by your knowledge on training plans, techniques, setting goals, etc. and your willingness to share this knowledge with the rest of us. Furthermore, I certainly appreciate your final post yesterday regarding putting a stop to to a discussion that got way out of hand. I hereby proclaim that due to your infinite wisdom, you are hereby entitled to an extra Waffle House coupon. DickyG