Masters Running

40's on the run..."If you start to feel good during an ultra, don't worry you will get over it." (Read 401 times)

Ultrachick

Good evening Everyone, Jim-nice climb! I don't know if I could do that-some crazy fear of falling I have. Jewels-fabulous run! I could sense your pride in your post! Leslie-get to bed early tonight (look who's talking-miss go to bed between 11-12am and get up at 5:15 four nights in a row this week Sleepy) Arla- I don't have much of life other than working (almost 30 hrs/week), running 10-12 hrs/week, sleeping 5-7hrs/night. I have my kids during the week and then they go with their Dad on the weekends so the weekends are more/less free for long training runs. No TV here either. With the kids back in school this week, their sports starting up and finishing up my job I've had all I can do to get 23 miles in so far this week. I feel like I'm wicked behind and planning a 20 miler for Saturday and 30 miles on Sunday to catch up. Jack is on a plane to Utah right now and the kids are gone again so my weekend will be spent running and packing. Coming with me Joe? I'll help you boost your mileage up! Speaking of sleep-I'm going to go try and catch up on that too. Have a great weekend everyone! Kelly
    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
      I'm working my way toward that early bed time, but I gotta get the cats in first. Is 10:00 early?? Undecided Got off work at 3:30 today and was hitting the pavement by 4:15. Was suppose to run 1.5 hours, but decided to take a different route to see how many miles it was, and how long it'd take me. Also wanted to tackle a fairly long hill that I keep avoiding. The hill is at least .75 miles long, but I think it's more around .85-.90 because I forgot to look at my Garmin before I started up. The grade - based on the treadmill being at 15% at its highest, I'm thinking somewhere around 9-10% grade. I trucked all the way up that sucker with only two very brief (maybe 10 secs each) walking breaks. Woo hoo! I didn't think I'd be able to get up the whole way without having to walk a good portion, but I did! And then when I got to the top, I realized how much further I had to go. My 1.5 hour run turned into 9.57 miles in 1:46:49, my longest road run since my HM last November. And it just reiterated in my mind - road running sucks. I have 3 new blisters. One on the end of a toe where I've never had one before, and 2 on the edge of the ball of both feet where I haven't had a blister in awhile. Dead I was pretty happy with how I was truckin' right along. My HR monitor kept beeping at me on the flats, but I didn't feel like I was pushing it too hard. Humboldt State is back in session, so I'm hoping to get an appointment in the next couple of weeks re the whole body assessment: body fat, VO2, etc. Well, I'm starting to fade. No sleep + long run + warm dinner = Sleepy sleeeeeepy, very sleeeeepy. Nite, All!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Coming with me Joe? I'll help you boost your mileage up!
        Hmm, lemme think about this Kelly. You're doing a 20 miler on Sat and a 30 miler on Sun, and asking me if I would like to come along?! I.don't.think.so. Roll eyes Thanks for asking though, maybe when I get older.....

I am such a wimp at this but still seem to be drawn to the challenge.
          Jim, that is exactly how I feel about running much of the time! I'm so glad you and Lynda got to have a mountain getaway. You deserve it with all tha hard work you put in. Neat that you are close enough to buzz home and head back! Jo, agree w/ you about being proud of our country, even though we can be a messed up bunch at times. Definitley going to be an interesting race from here on out. I'm anxious to learn more about Sarah Palin. Jewels, way to go on the 6 miler! No major pains is also a good sign. Are you going to use a training plan to help with the momentum/motivation or are you in a going with the flow kind of mode? Leslie, we call it Bunko here. Not sure why. Had a group here in the neighborhood a few years ago, but it kind of fizzled. It was a good time though! No husbands, no kids, no dogs, and wine was a requirement. Arla, nice to C ya! Are you getting back into the swing with school and all? Kelly, when is that race of yours? Is that what you are packing for? Need to know when so send out virtual cheers! Did a total of 8.5 miles this morning. 6 mile run for me (in honor of Jewels), came home, then headed out with hubby to run to a dog sit....total of 2.5 miles there, including a 1/2 mile walk with the client's dogs. Also caught their Jack Russel before she made it quite all the way over the fence. She had jumped/climbed to the top of a 5 ft. wrought iron fence and was trying to wiggle through the bars at the top. She is cooling her heels spending the day in their master bath now so as to prevent any further escape attempts! Edited to add: Forgot to mention that I was passed this morning on my running route by none other than "fast guy". Fellow here who actually WON the White Rock Marathon in 85 and 86. Fast people create quite a breeze when they wiz by Smile OK, gotta go...me need shower bad!!
          Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Spent most of the day yesterday in a climbing harness roped up in Eldorado Canyon near Boulder CO. http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colorado/boulder/eldorado_canyon_sp/105744246 Did some class four stuff to get up about 700 feet but tucked into a canyon so not real airy but enough to exceed my comfort zone at times. Then did some full on class 5 stuff off a top rope but never got over 40 feet off the ground but it was a sheer face anyway pretty sore today. Head home today.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Kelly - Okay 50 miles in two days? That's just total insanity, sweetheart. How in the heck do you do it? Loved Joe's comment to you! Big grin Carol - Nice job on the run/doggie walk! You're doing great. Ran part of our trail run today with an older gentleman who's diabetic. I thought about you and how well that seems to be going for you lately. Joe - Congrats on the climbing. 40 feet is high enough for me! Especially if it's sheer face. Kelly's little 50 miler this weekend makes me feel like a weenie today. Did my 1.75 hours yesterday after work, then did our trail run this a.m. The next time I decide to do two long runs back-to-back with only about 12 or so hours between the two, smack me upside the head. Cripes, my legs were tired. We were suppose to do 2:25 hours, but after 2 hours, which included 25 min of steady states, I was done. Figured I got that extra 15 min in last night. Wink Now I have a nice blood blister on my left foot. What the heck is that all about?!? Plus the two under my callouses that I developed yesterday on the frigging road. Grrrrr. I haven't had blisters this bad in a while. Well, we have a busy weekend ahead of us - unfortunately. The Hub's co-employees are having an Employee Picnic on Monday. His idea after management canceled this year's company picnic. Kind of a "screw you" to the management. Roll eyes Anyway, guess where the lion's share of the work is landing?!? Oh yeah, in our house. So much for a relaxing weekend. They're cooking lobster, ahi, and making crab cakes on Food TV right now - oh boy am I hungry!!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Kelly - Okay 50 miles in two days? That's just total insanity, sweetheart. How in the heck do you do it? Loved Joe's comment to you! Big grin
                I go slow and I walk most of the hills. Today felt like a death march because of the humidity or because I was still full from the double egg, ham and cheese on an english muffin I had after the first 8 miles-my second breakfast. Big grin I'm on auto pilot on this loop since I've done it so many times-I ran it twice last weekend for the race I did there. I'm vaguely watching my time and heart rate. As long as I'm moving forward that's all that matters. If I walk I make sure to walk fast and take advantage of the moment to eat or drink something. I think it's also a matter of conditioning-this is what I'm used to now and when I'm done racing it 's going to feel weird to me to cut back and I will have a hard time doing so until the snow and cold get here. Carol-I'm packing to go to Salt Lake City, Utah on Wednesday to catch up with Jack because he is running in the Wasatch Front 100 miler on Sept 6. After the race we're going to hang and go mtn biking possibly down in Moab. Don't worry I'll be getting my runs in somehow. We come back on Sept 11, unpack and get back to my unemployed reality until Sept 19 then it will be time to cross your fingers and pray to the running Gods that I copmplete my first 100 mile race on Sept 20 in Virgil, NY at the Iroquios Trail 100. It's going to be a busy month as I will also become the mother of a teenager! My oldest son turns 13 on the 26th! Shocked Kelly So how old do you have to be Joe? Big grin
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Queen of 3rd Place

Kelly - yeah, right, slow. You're running faster than my tempo pace, even with your walk/eating breaks. Hey, you'll be able to keep up with that teenager of yours, no problem! Best wishes to Jack on the Wasatch, I found some pics of the course online, it's looking gorgeous up there right now, hope the conditions are good. http://www.wasatch100.com/trail.htm Carol - I've already gotten "falling behind" out of the way at school Tongue Jim - I'm doing the Disney World marathon. I'm hoping that there will be enough distraction so that I do my first one nice and slow so I can be sure to finish. They have a sweep bus that picks people up if they fall behind a 7 hr pace, I'm pretty sure I can maintain that unless something goes very, very wrong. BTW I could never do the climbing you do, I even freaked out on an exposed face at Sequoia National Park that had stairs and HANDRAILS fer Pete's sake. I was literally on my hands and knees, covering my eyes with one hand so I couldn't see all that.... air. ...I'm also really fun to fly with, actually I usually just take a benadryl and conk out. Leslie - WTG on that hill! I wish we had some hills like that around here, I can only find hills that are about a quarter mile long. Hm, no men, no children, + alcohol, + chocolate...sounds pretty crazy fun! Low 60s this am for my long run, it felt soooooo good! Gotta go grade lab reports, woohoo Sleepy Arla

Ex runner