Masters Running

Saturday, 1.31.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Leslie, I should have been clearer yesterday: The Border to Border race starts in Maine, goes along the 18 miles (that is correct, Aamos) of New Hampshire coast, and finishes in Mass. Have fun at the Clam Beach Run!

Holly, good for you for cranking out the miles in those winds yesterday!

Mike, at lunch yesterday, was the salesman heavy, or is that about the equipment that he sells? Is the sore Achilles from overcompensating when your calf hurt? We do that to ourselves from time to time.

Holly's winds have moved east and are here this morning; it was 10F with light snow and 20mph winds, so a little nasty out. The snow was blowing sideways and there was no place to hide. I went 4.2 miles in the quickly-drifting snow, and it was hard work. Now DW and I are going to our favorite dive for an early breakfast, and then to our town's Deliberative Session, which starts at 8:30. If we're lucky, it'll be over by about 4 this afternoon. Unfortunately, because our Conservation Commission has 5 warrant articles that are up for discussion, I'll have to be there for most of the day. Just shoot me now...

Have a greta Saturday (yours has to be better than mine)!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

No winds, Calm right now.

3" - 10" forecasted. I guess they don't want to be wrong. Sounds like we have some high winds on the backside of this storm that could create some havoc.

Given they way our town has been "clearing" the roads...it's back to the treadmill I guess.

Saw several familiar faces on the rec trail this morning. All out getting thier walks and runs in before the snow.

DW's Winter office party tonight...Prime Rib and awesome entertainment.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

This no running stuff is driving me nuts!  Especially when I see that I am down to 70 days until my next marathon.  And, since I won't be running today, I checked to see what I'm going to end up with for mileage for the month.  157 miles...wildchild is going to be so proud of me...not because I ran a prime number...but because I knew it was a prime number before I even looked it up...what has she done to me?  I don't even care about prime numbers...in fact, I try to avoid them...which would indicate that I do actually care about them...

When I was a kid, I loved oatmeal.  In fact, knowing how much I loved oatmeal, my grandma used to tell me that, if I didn't wet the bed when I stayed at her house, she would make me some oatmeal in the morning...as if I had some control over it.  Anyway...I've been eating the instant stuff for years, now...and it's okay...but I bought some Old Fashioned Quaker Oats and made some, this morning.  I was all excited and couldn't wait to dig into it...but it just didn't taste, or feel, like I remember.  Oh well...I guess nothing is as good as we remember it.  I sure hope I don't wet the bed, tonight.

Okay--I gotta go--see ya!

Slo

When I around 7 or 8 I stayed overnight at this kids house. (no one wet the bed) The following morning I watched as he filled his bowl with milk and then added the cereal. I never talked to that kid again. I just learned he is now in prison.  -- Trust your instincts --

Only Old Fashioned Rolled Oats in our house Mike E, None of that instant stuff. Oh, Steel Cut too...much better.

but I bought some Old Fashioned Quaker Oats and made some, this morning.  I was all excited and couldn't wait to dig into it...but it just didn't taste, or feel, like I remember.  Oh well...I guess nothing is as good as we remember it.  I sure hope I don't wet the bed, tonight.

Well, if you didn't put 2 big tablespoons of brown sugar, some raisins and a little milk in it, of course it didn't taste right! You have to add the things that take all of the nutritional and low-cal value out of it. Take care of that Achilles, and don't worry about your marathon - you always rock those things.

If you have any leftover prime rib Slo, you know where to send it.  Have fun tonight.

I think it's awesome that you and your DW are so involved on what goes on in your town Jay. Not many people choose to be a part of that stuff.

Still feeling the after-effects of the big fall-down last Thursday. My whole left side has some pretty good bruises and my knee has scabbed over nicely   It was decent for running outside today, but I'm a lot smarter now and didn't want to risk it again because I really love running early and since it's still dark and there are so many icy patches, the track at the Y seemed like a good option. 6 miles (84 freaking laps) followed with 20 minutes of core stuff.

Now off to see "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" with Will, Ben and Nicholas. Have a great Saturday everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

When I around 7 or 8 I stayed overnight at this kids house. (no one wet the bed) The following morning I watched as he filled his bowl with milk and then added the cereal. I never talked to that kid again. I just learned he is now in prison.  -- Trust your instincts --

My DD eats her cereal this way.  Suddenly I am very worried.....

{{{Jay}}} - sounds like a long day, but I think it is wonderful that you care enough to give of your time this way.

Slo - we are supped to get that same storm tonight and tomorrow, but with a high of 37 forecast tomorrow, it may be more rain than snow, which makes me kind of sad, because it would have been nice to get 8-10 inches of snow.

9 miles for me this morning in 17 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly and Slo -

War wounds, JLynne,  Show 'em off with pride!

Don't get freaked out, Mike.  Take care of that AT or it'll come back and bite you in the butt so hard you won't be doing anything for a long time.

It's going to be a stunner of a day for the Clam Beach Run.    I'm ready, in shorts and short-sleeve tech shirt.

Saw a recipe on FB this morning where you fry up your bacon, lay it on a griddle, then pour your pancake mix over each separate strip for bacon pancakes.  I NEED to do this.

My dad told me this once, and I think it was the only time as a kid I ever heard him say a cuss word: "Wish in one hand, $hit in the other, and see which one fills up first."

Have a great weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

New skirt in town

Mmmmm, bacon pancakes!  I'm suddenly craving them!

10 miles on the treadmill this morning, and my foot DOESN'T HURT! I can hardly believe it. I'm still running only every other day, but laying in some quality time on the elliptical in between. It's a poor substitute, but I'm trying to be disciplined.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Did I mention that today my baby boy, my number one son, turns 18 years old?  I can hardly believe it.  He was such a tiny thing when he was born, 5 lbs 13 oz, - his sock monkey was bigger than he was - and now he's a big, strapping, bearded fellow.  Where has the time gone?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yay for 10 painless miles, Robin!

JLynne, how on earth did you manage to keep count of 84 freaking laps?  I'd get dizzy.

Have fun at Clam Beach, Leslie!

My trail group had our coldest run this season this morning, starting at 3°F. I was putting on my hydration pack in the car, not realizing I'd accidentally opened the valve when I reached over into the back seat to pick it up.  Dumped a whole bunch of water into my lap!  Nothing like trying to levitate out of the seat as it ran between my legs.  As I had on wind pants, it didn't soak in much, but the water on the backside of the pant froze pretty quickly when we got going, so the gang started calling me "Icicle A$$".  We got in a slow 10 miles in 3" of fresh snow over icy trail.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Henrun

Sounds like good running today despite the cold and bruises. Good for you, Robin. You've been listening to your body.

2. 5 miles on mostly plowed roads and sidewalks. Sunny but high teens and gusts up to 20 mph.

Nor'easter expected for Monday with another 8-10" of snow- don't know where they'll put it. We've got a flight to Phoenix on Tuesday am- hope we can get away.

evanflein

Happy birthday to your DS, Holly! It is amazing to look back and see how much they've changed.

Another ^5 to Jay for all he does. There are some who always seem to give so much of their time to their communities or causes they care about. And others of us who benefit from their involvement, without getting in there and doing much ourselves. I am always so impressed (and thankful) for those who give so much of themselves to these causes. And then feel bad that I don't do more.

Yay for pain free foot Robin! 10 miles on the TM... wow, even though I do it, or maybe because I do it, I'm impressed.

Have fun, Leslie, although I'm officially not talking to you. (shorts and short sleeves, hmph!)

Heme, good for you for getting out there. I've gotten to be such a wuss I would think twice about 10 miles at 3°F with a wet butt. Heck, even without the wet butt.

Mike E, try just a little brown sugar or honey, and raisins with milk. Yum. Especially the steel cut oats like Slo said. Double Yum. Instant? No thanks.

Ok, so we get up this morning and it was -13°!! Woot! Warmest it's been in over 10 days, maybe more. Not sure what I'll do for a run today, or if it'll be inside or out, but it's nice to see a break in the -30 to -40 we've been having. Since I missed a couple of runs this week, I won't hit 200 for the month and I don't really care that much about prime numbers. We'll just see where I end up.

King of PhotoShop

So it's 18 miles of NH seacoast huh?  Never knew that.

Happy birthday to your good boy Holly.

Stayed at the Intercontinental in Tampa Thursday night and for breakfast Friday I had the steel cut oatmeal. It was served with raisins, berries, brown sugar and cinnamon. I had never put cinnamon on it before but I tried it and liked it so I'm going to do that from now on. I read somewhere that cinnamon has properties that are good for the skin. Is that right Robin?  Or just lore.

3 easy miles at the lake with the Saint and then a big breakfast at some place in Grapevine with a bunch of friends. Ate way too much.  I leave for the entire week on Monday, headed to Cleveland, so tonight I'm making lasagna so they can have something to eat while I'm gone.  Thursday night they got McDonald's!   Spareribs

From Wed through Fri, I was in Ludington visiting my mother, sister, and brother in law.  I did get in a slow 5 miles on Thurs.

Mike, be very careful with that AT.  It can get real bad easily and take forever to heal.  jlynne, sorry to hear about your fall.  I hope you heal quickly.  Holly, happy birthday to your son.

Nice long runs for CNY, Holly, DrRobin (pain free on TM), and heme.  Good job on the speedwork for evan, heme, and Tammy.

This morning, it was about 11° when I got up.  I was thinking TM but stalled for several hours and finally went out when it hit 15°.  There was a little wind, and I wore my Ice Trekkers.  I got in 6 miles at a 10:53 pace.  By the time I finished, the temp was into the low 20s.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

As I had on wind pants, it didn't soak in much, but the water on the backside of the pant froze pretty quickly when we got going, so the gang started calling me "Icicle A$$".  We got in a slow 10 miles in 3" of fresh snow over icy trail.

That's a nickname that could stick with you   Nice MMTD run, nonetheless.

Henry--sure hope you and Marj can make it out Tuesday.  Storm is showing running late into Monday night.

Speaking of snow, when I left work on Friday, Monday's storm wasn't looking that bad.  When I looked this afternoon, it was showing over 12" by the end of the day.  So I took a quick trip up to Portsmouth to pick up some stuff to work on at home.

Since I got my MMTD run in early in the week, I've chickened out due to the wind chill and lack of plowing.  Probably the same tomorrow, but I really need to make it out.  May need to break down and TM at the gym if there's still no sidewalks..

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.