Masters Running

The Thursday Daily, 9.13.12 (Read 389 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Thanks for keeping us entertained and challenged with the trivia, Ribs.

Tramps, our "workshop" (a converted 3-car garage) used to be the intergalactic headquarters of our business until we outgrew it late last year. We may make it a 'pet-friendly' guest house for family and friends who like to travel with their dogs.

Welcome back, Mary!

Twocat, good luck in RTB!

Tet, you had me humming Harbor Lights this morning...

Troy, I'm glad yesterday's flight was a false alarm, rather than someone in real trouble.

5.8 racewalking miles at 4:05 this morning. 55F with a breeze from the west. Someone must have had a very sharp knife to cut as fine a slice of moon as was hanging in the sky this morning. There were also bazillions of stars, which always takes my breath away. When I got to the coast, the stars went right down to the horizon and blended with the lights from the ships anchored way out there to provide a seamless wall of light dots. It was much warmer at the coast, since the water temp was about 10 degrees warmer than the air temp. But once I went down a hill and around a curve to the west, I picked up the breeze that dropped the temperature immediately. That breeze also carried the pungent, rich smell of the salt marsh at low tide, and I sucked it in and loved it. A little later on, I saw a skunk ambling down the other side of the road. I made a noise to ensure that it knew I was there. Its tail went up, but we both kept moving on parallel paths, and then parted ways without incident.

DW and I are leaving today to visit a niece, help her younger bother celebrate his wedding, and to take a couple of days off to celebrate our 34th anniversary.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning Jay!   I also noticed this morning how much smaller that slice of moon was in just a 24 hour period.   I am happy that you parted ways with the skunk without incident.

I was out for just a short 3 miles with Brinkley today.    We were garmin-less as the battery was dead and I rather enjoyed it.     I am getting a new puppy!!   A little girl and I just saw the litter pictures this morning for the first time.   Momma has a whopping 14 to nurse with the help of her peeps.   I'm so excited and I am pretty sure her name is going to be Thouroghly Modern "Millie".     She's 3 weeks old today ..... Big grin

Holly & Erika in Alaska together - how fun!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

...mornin' guys.....

to answer

Starr's question from last night,

I have to wait to see if AnyThing Hurts from the day before

and it didn't

am continuing

the Sanford Bennett Exercises,

they

seem to be HipFriendly,

the

LiverExercises are kind of strange though.

======

..double weight sessions today

and a little x-bike to loosen things up

.............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Puppies! Happy anniversary jay! Tomwhite--liver exercises? Posting on mykindle fire and I'm a bit awkward at it...so bear with me. Hanging out in Chicago at o'hare for 3 hours waiting for the flight to anchorage.. I dreamer last night I was flying with Troy....I wasn't even terrified......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am getting a new puppy!!  

Pictures! We need pictures! Love the name Millie for a puppy.  And - let me add - it's so nice to have you back Mary.

Tom, what are Sanford Bennett exercises? I suppose I could Google them but I'm sure you'll give me a much better explanation. Glad you're feeling better.

Keep the trivia coming Ribs. I feel like I'm on Jeopardy. I can never "buzz in" fast enough with the answer Big grin

Happy 34th anniversary Jay. Hope you and Mrs. Coastwalker have a nice weekend.

It's raining here, so it's a good thing today was cross training day. 5 miles on the eliptical, 5 miles on the bike and 45 minutes of weights and core exercises. One of my favorite Y staffers wasn't busy so I asked her for some new stuff to mix up my routine. Holy moley! I'm gonna be a hurtin' dog tomorrow. But I think it helps to do different stuff to keep my muscles confused.....

Safe travels Holly!

Tramps

Jay—“intergalactic headquarters”?  I like that.  Big grin

Holly--I told you you should get Troy to fly you.  Wink

Ribs--how many of those presidents were in Skull and Bones?

Speaking of Troy, I often learn something new from his posts, including yesterday’s.  Interesting stuff!

Speaking of learning, I’m taking an online faculty training course about online teaching and we’ve been discussing the nature of online “learning communities.”  (The premise of the course is that to be effective, online courses can’t simply be a delivery vehicle for content; they must foster reflective collaboration among students to promote active learning.)  It’s sparked lots of reflection about my experiences with this long-standing “community.”  It’s very different from a brief course-based group, of course, but some of the dynamics discussed in our readings remind my very much of this place. ...in a good way! Smile

Oh, and I ran 7.1 miles.  A little more humid today but cool temps and bright blue sky means it still qualities as Awesome Autumn Day #5 in a row. 

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Rhooner - good luck sitting around in the cold, cold rain with your family all day long looking for some succulent moose. At least there shouldn't be any pesky bugs.  I’ll treat you to some fugu, tofu, or whatever you want if you can bring down some mooseburger over Thanksgiving if  Seattle works out as your fall marathon. You’d be right at home with the BC contingent wonderin’ why everyone else is complaining about the late November weather here.
                In an early morning trivia contest on one of the Seattle radio stations, the host let “South Africa” slide by as the answer to “(o)n which continent are Uruguay and Paraguay?”  Fortunately, before the score was tallied at the end, the executive producer chimed in with “South America.”  Sorry posie. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

I agree that Troy's posts are fascinating. It's like reading National Geographic in the old days, great stories and pics.  Keep 'em coming.

I walked 1.1 mile with my RP and the recalcitrant Lucy, as my day off before Saturday's race.  I've committed now I'm going to get the poor Sheltie back in shape. She needs to exercise more and I'm to blame. A one mile walk and the dog was huffing and puffing for a half hour.

Thanks for the comments on the trivia. Here is the back story.  These places that host the trivia are like sports bar and hamburger joints. They pay to have this company come in and put on the contests.  To win, you have to have questions that are what we call "differentiators," that is, ones your team knows that you are pretty sure the other teams do not know.  Some of the questions are very easy.  Some are impossible.  So I'll try to mix them up so that everyone has a chance.  I am far from the best on our team but I generally get the literature and business questions right.

Here you go:  Within one state either way, that is, plus or minus one, how many states does the Mississippi River border or flow through? (We got this one on the nose by drawing a map on a table napkin.)  Spareribs

TammyinGP

awww, a little puppy for Mary!! Please share pics when you can! (or are they on FB maybe?)

CC meet for David today at 5 pm. Should be 99 degrees today also and right between 4-5p.m is our hottest part of the day. poor kid!

I leave tomorrow a.m. for Newport, OR - a 4 hr drive. Looking forward to learning new stuff and being re-energized at the seminar and then getting in some nice running also.  I also want to go check out this place:

http://www.sylviabeachhotel.com/

if you have time or interest to click on this link, check out the rooms - all themed by various authors. Does this look like the coolest place or what??

Enjoy the day!

Tammy

I just love the smell of a salt marsh.  Thanks for that wonderful description of your morning's outing, Jay.

And new puppies!!!!

Yay!

The week's recovery is going just famously.  Hit the work TM for 3.5 miles, with a few 1/4 mile pick-ups, this morning and it felt terrific.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

,,jlynne//........that's those

''Exercising in Bed'' exercises from 1906.........I posted the link a day or so ago, and can't access it on this computer...

Oh my!  So many good posts so far this morning! 

Jay's always picturesque descriptions of his mornings.  (Happy Anniversary!)

Ribs' bringing on the questions to which I rarely ever know the answer. Wink

JLynne's getting buff.

Tammy's going to be channeling her inner Agatha Christie (perhaps).

Tramps' Awesome Autumn Day #5.

TomWhite not hurting today (yea!!).

Holly dreaming about Troy (really now . . . . hmm . . . .)

Tet dreaming about mooseburgers.

Heme recovering quite nicely after becoming an ultramarathon goddess.

And Mary's gettin' a puppy!!!  (great name, BTW).

Okay then . . . .

I've been behind by a good half hour all morning.  May or may not have anything to do with the fact that my alarm went off at 5:00 and I didn't get up 'til 5:40.    Did my 7 miles anyway.  Legs started feeling tired toward the end, but it was still a good run.  Back to the carpy fog, though.

And since I was slow moving this a.m., called work at 8:30 (when I was suppose to be there) and said I was, of course, running late and was gonna go get a bagel before going to work.  Nobody cared.  That's why I like where I work.  So long as you don't abuse anything, doesn't matter if your late.  Go get your bagel, we'll see you when you get here.  It's nice. Smile

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey, I picked a great day to come back to post: Mary's getting a new puppy!

Congrats Mariposai on your recent marathon! And Opie did his half, though it was a hard race, I saw... let's see, what else... Holly's on her way to join Erika for the Equinox, so cool.... oh I don't know, so many other good things happening here, just so hard to keep up, but know that I'm always smiling for everyone as skim. Smile

I ran a 10 mile race on Sunday but kept it as a training run, and was successful at that endeavor. Solid 9:00 pace for all my splits, and I felt great. The pace felt easy and I felt proud of myself for being able to rein in the race-environment excitement and keep to my plan. Of course when I finally told my coach about it on Tuesday, he was not pleased. Ugh, I'm really getting fed up with all the criticism I get from him, EVEN when I do well (which he admitted I did, but had he known about the race he wouldn't have "allowed" me, as he said it). But I'm 7 weeks out from my marathon and feel it would be stupid to stop using his services now. Yet continuing with him is really affecting the quality of my (running) life, I have to say. So I'm asking all of you experienced folks here, would you switch to another coach at this point? Suffer through and continue? Or (gasp!), finish the final few weeks uncoached?? I know my schedule of long runs up until marathon day, but I still don't have enough confidence to go it alone for the rest of the training.

I know, I know, running (and life) shouldn't be so hard. Black eye

I ran a 10 mile race on Sunday but kept it as a training run, and was successful at that endeavor. Solid 9:00 pace for all my splits, and I felt great. The pace felt easy and I felt proud of myself for being able to rein in the race-environment excitement and keep to my plan. Of course when I finally told my coach about it on Tuesday, he was not pleased. Ugh, I'm really getting fed up with all the criticism I get from him, EVEN when I do well (which he admitted I did, but had he known about the race he wouldn't have "allowed" me, as he said it). But I'm 7 weeks out from my marathon and feel it would be stupid to stop using his services now. Yet continuing with him is really affecting the quality of my (running) life, I have to say. So I'm asking all of you experienced folks here, would you switch to another coach at this point? Suffer through and continue? Or (gasp!), finish the final few weeks uncoached?? I know my schedule of long runs up until marathon day, but I still don't have enough confidence to go it alone for the rest of the training.

I'd say stick with him.  You only have 7 weeks to go.  Don't burn any bridges at this point.  You might decide after your soon-to-be breakout Marathon, that maybe he knows what he's talking about.

Besides - and this is key I think - you've been running so well.  Obviously that has a lot to do with you.  But maybe his Coaching too.  Something to think about.  I'd vote for a hang in there 7 weeks.

Bill 

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

..OM//...what kind of background does TheCoach have??