Masters Running

Seattle Marathon RR (Read 234 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

My first Seattle Marathon, and the first time I wore a MM singlet! I think I'll remember this race for the fun I had. Foggy morning from the moment we left the house at 6am to go pick up my running buddy who was running the distance for the first time , quite short on training and with too long a list of recent small injuries to expect an easy race.. anyway the plan was to run together ,taking it slow enough to make it to the end. I had heard from Jon that he wasn't going to run, but might be around before the start...couldn't find him but saw a lot of familiar faces in MM colours many of whom had run the day before as well in the Ghost Marathon, and some even on race day 3 or even 4!!! Well, off goes the gun and we start running at a comfortable pace chatting and enjoying the course at first through the Xmas decorated Seattle downtown,and after a couple more miles, through the lack of scenery since the thick fog is still low on the water as we cross twice the floating bridge. I discover that indeed it so much easier to run with a friend than going solo, the miles fly by without me realizing it, sure, I might have gone out a bit faster had I been just me and my Ipod, but it feels great to have someone to talk to and I'm running almost effortless. The leaders of the race are already on the return leg over the bridge and I see many fast Maniacs speeding by....there goes Robert in pink... hard to miss!!! We take it easy at the many and well supplied water stations, (except the first one , at mile 2 or 3 where they had plenty of water but no cups...) and we make it through the Half mat in 2:06:24...we are pleased with the pace but I know that my friend is starting to hurt and needs to slow down so after a couple of miles we take walking breaks....at mile 16 he's really hurting and he knows it is going to be a slow long way home for him .. I take off on my own. At that point I remember thinking, ..".only 10 miles left..", my legs feel really good almost as if I just started my race. I don't look at my Garmin and just run, I pass a lot of people who had caught up to us the in previous few miles and head for the hills....I triy to save some energy by walking up the short and steepest one ... but, I admit it, the rest didn't bother me at al, and I manage to keep my legs moving at a reasonable pace to cross the finish line in 4:12:05 chip time. What a morning! I would have never imagined to be able to run those last miles so easily. While I waited around the finish line for my friend for quite a while, I got to see and chat with more MM, so many incredible persons...thank you Jon for introducing me to this world of happy madness..... Thank you all for reading!!! Francesca
    xor

Woohoo Franc! Did your friend make it in upright and happy?

Marathon Maniac #957

I think I'll remember this race for the fun I had.
        Gosh, I wish I could remember them ALL that way - very kewl! And for a race that was just a super-fun-run, you had an excellent finishing time - great race, great report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Hey! A negative split, too! That second half is very hilly, so that's no small feat. Interested to hear how your friend did. I'm really looking forward to meeting you in June!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I think I'll remember this race for the fun I had.
            - francesca, I knew you'd love this one, especially with the two long out-and-backs packed with a hundred or so other maniac singlets for fellowship along the way. It's hard to believe that at this time last year you were just a regular 5/10K fun runner with an occasional half mary and now you are as maniacal about marathons and beyond as any of us. see you and your entourage at the 1/1 Resolution run. - barefoot jon ps - no particular reason <>bellissimadea/belladea)>>>but maybe try to include the Pink Door for next year (RnR too).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, your first marathon in your maniac singlet must be pretty special! Well done, especially the negative split. Hope your friend made it in OK. Thanks for the RR!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Head Procrastinator

WTG on your first MM Marathon! An enjoyable read, you make it seem so effortless. Hope your friend finished ok. Drag him on in here. Barb
                ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                Tramps

I'd always heard those hills at the end of Seattle were killers but you make them sound almost easy! Great job running so relaxed and having fun. Interesting how without paying much attention to pace or time you nailed almost dead-even splits between the halves. Glad you had so much fun; that comes through clearly in your RR. Congrats!

Be safe. Be kind.

Good job, Franc. You sure did well in your first marathon wearing your MM singlet. It's neat you helped pace a friend and had such a good time. Congraulations. TomS
                      "happy madness" I think that sums them up really well. Pretty good time....I still wonder what you could do if racing a marathon by yourself, and not in 85F weather either. You got lucky this year with great weather. I wish I could have run it...someday I have to run it!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

#artbydmcbride

Hmmmmm, so you ran the hilly part and walked up the steepest hill, still did negative splits and finished in an awesome time...Wow!! Great Job!

Runners run

great race!! sounds like you had a lot of fun and ran an awesome race!! congrats!!

denise

Franc, very nice. I love your race day attitude and can feel your enthusiasm. WTG
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM