Masters Running

Monday, 9.15.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Congrats, Tet!

Great photo, Starr!!

More about the RTB Relay: I was in the "Orange Line" van with Twocat, Mariposi, Stumpy, and two other funny, gracious and charming women (Paula and Dora) who are not on RA. Twocat ran at one speed - amazingly fast. In each of his legs, he just flew! Mariposai took on the challenges of at least one very hilly leg and refused to back down from those challenges. On the rest of her legs, her wings carried her along fluidly, gracefully. Stumpy was a picture of consistency on the roads, just gobbling up those miles. He developed a knee problem in his last leg, but regrouped and finished very strong. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the residents of the Green Line van running their legs, but their overall times showed they ran hard and strong. Milktruck's achilles tendon problem returned in his first leg, but he put mind over matter and ran all 3 legs. These are some amazing runners!

Back to reality and up at Jay o'clock and out for a 4.5 mi easy RW recovery workout. It was a brisk 43F, with a breeze from the north, so I threw a short sleeve shirt over the long sleeve one, and broke out the gloves. There was gorgeous light from a half moon sitting straight up overhead, surrounded by some puffy whites that sailed on the breeze. I also broke in some new shoes this morning - Mizuno Hitogami. I liked them, except there was something causing some irritation at the base of my right big toe. I still need to find the cause.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay, and all to follow!

Starr - lovely picture!

Ted and Pfriese - well done on your Tunnel of Light Marathons!

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of light weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - I’ve never run a relay and I never will but if I did, it would have to be one like you and the Rosie runners,especially with a name like that..  I was wondering why it was such a big deal when one of ten runners dropped as, “why not have one of the nine remaining team members run two legs?”  I didn’t realize that it seems you already do that.  Is there a link to the length of everyone’s legs?
        I also missed the link to Amy’s Abebe Bikila Marathon that I’m interested in for some reason.
        Starr - your grandfather’s turkey day history and legacy to the town sound like something I would make up for one of my posts if I actually ever made up anything for my posts instead of telling the “truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth” with a heavy emphasis on the “nothing”  part.

I wonder how many of us are lucky enough to have been born in and continue to get to live in the same town as our grandparents, if not great-grandparents as happened to me for a while.  Thanks for the parade info.  No wonder your reunions are so much fun. .
        ps jay - I’m trying to track down the kanji chinese characters for your new mizuno’s which either mean  “god-man,” “paper-man” or something else.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Given the team name, I'm guessing that the Green and Orange lines refer to the subway?

Would have posted earlier today but too busy looking at yesterday's hot picture of Starr.

Here is the story on my race Saturday and what the cops did. I was not unhappy with their decision. I think they made the right call:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/09/who-won-the-dash-for-dignity.html/

And I'm never tough on a race for charity.  I'll put up with just about anything, but I am going to put them together with a local company that manages races so they can build this race back up in attendees. They had 205 runners, but far more people doing the one mile fun run/walk.

3.4 recovery miles today, still tired in the legs.  I'm racing a tenK on Saturday, but I work two days in Tampa this week and I seldom race well when I travel.  Easy week for me.  Spareribs

evanflein

I thought I'd posted something last night, but I must have gotten side tracked. Love the picture of Starr from the reunion! Sounds like a very busy packed weekend. I like your comment about having a Holly weekend. I think we all know what you meant!

Cute color-run photos. Sorry Steve, but you're the life support system for a whole lot of cuteness with that crazy dog and darling grandson. I love how you get out there with them and do all those fun things. Noah is a lucky boy.

How was Enke's weekend with Mr. C? Hope the dogs got along ok... Saw a gorgeous photo on FB.

Looking forward to the Relay Report! I think OrangeMat ran the Ragnar DC relay this weekend, too. Would be nice to hear from her sometime!

Hiya, irrepressible Aamos!

Ribs, it's good to do those fund raiser races for what they are. We've got some around here that draw a huge crowd from the community and they're usually led by the serious racers. All the casual runners, walkers, strollers, etc, use them as an opportunity to get out with friends on a nice day (hopefully) to support a cause they like. That being said... it'd be good to have someone who knows what they're doing be at the helm of the organizing committee, if only for safety's sake.

So yesterday we broke temperature records! It got up to 76° yesterday afternoon, and Saturday's 74° tied the record. I ran up Ester Dome and down the other side again, and I didn't bring any water or Nuun. That turned out to be a mistake. But I still did pretty well and was only off my times from the week before by a minute or so. Best thing was, my overall time was less so that means I didn't stop as much, even though I wanted to. Had that dehydration-induced fatigue in my legs but not any real cramping in the last mile so that was good. That last mile is hard because it's pretty flat and comes after about 3 miles of steep downhill. Anyway, after drinking the rest of my Nuun when I got back to the truck (probably about 18 oz), I was still down about 5 lbs when I got home. Oy. The rest of the afternoon was spent rehydrating.

Today will be a mid-day recovery run. Forecast for Saturday is now 50% chance of showers Friday night and Saturday morning. Rats.

coastwalker is too nice.  No literally, they guy is too nice.  A total sweetie!  Makes the rest of us look bad, like ogres or maybe evil flying monkeys.

stumpy77 is another great guy.  Totally misleading forum name!  He is way taller than me!  Okay, most guys are way taller than me.  Still, he was way taller than the other guys than me on the team.  Nevertheless, I highly recommend spending 30 or so hours in a van with him!  Did you all know he and Mariposai were sleeping together during the race!  Oh my!  Well, in separate sleeping bags, outside near a school with hundreds of people all around, in the middle of a relay race at a van transition area . . . oh nuts, the details just make this all a whole lot less interesting.

From RA, as coastwalker mentioned, we were in the Green Line (Van 1 on most teams) along with stumpy77 and Mariposai.   (Spareribs the colors of the Boston T, although Rosie did use the NYC subway to, ah, "qualify," in her own special way, for Boston).  In the Orange Line (Van 2 on most teams) we had rtraversdeez4boyz and milktruck.  I suspect they are really fun to be with, seeing how everybody in the van was always laughing and smiling whenever we saw them at the vehicle transition areas.  That or rtravers brought along some inhalants from the office.  One or the other, I guess she will have to let us know which.  

Something coastwalker failed to mention is that this is a very serious team and we expect everyone to pull their own weight.  In fact, we even have a road kill board so we can keep tabs on each other.  Here is a shot of the whole team with our road kill boards.

Rosie Ruiz Fan Club Road Kill Boards 2014

I am pleased to report that coastwalker did indeed hold his own. You see our boards are not quite like most you see.  On our team you get a sticker for each person you pass or are passed by.  Heck, if you go back and forth with somebody as I did on one leg just one person can generate six or more stickers!  Yes, the goal on our team is to collect lots and lots of stickers and coastwalker did just that!

Last but not least if you want to know what the front of our team t-shirts looked like here is a pretty good representation!

Rose Ruiz Fan Club T-Shirt Live!

Yes, the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club was once again the best team to run drive a relay with!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

So I ran 22 yesterday, and my hip got progressively more sore as the run went on.  Last night, I looked in the mirror, and the hip has lots of red and blue bruising- even though I never banged it against anything.  This morning - I can barely walk.  I am now officially on the disabled list, with the Atlantic City marathon less than 5 weeks away.

Figures - I get my first PBJ Special in years just last week, and my body revolts against me.

Sorry to vent.

C-R

Nice pics of the relay group. Sounded like a great time had by all.

That doesn't sound good PBJ. Heal up.

That was a nice write up Ribs. I hope more people run that race. Sounds like a great cause.

I've decided to up my 10k a day to 7 a day for the future. I need to run a bit faster in training and I can do that and still be under my lunch hour.

Oh and the BAA foolishly accepted my registration (and my money) so I guess I really need to train over the winter this year.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - love it!

PBJ - very worrying, that kind of bruising with no specific event to match it to.  Please get it checked out.  Bummer about the timing of it, though.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

PBJ, say it ain't so, Joe! You might have some internal trauma there to have discoloration with no impact. Very strange, but I hope not long-lasting.

Nice lunch time runs there, C-R! I'm usually pushing it to do 6 what with the walking cool down I like to do, then the shower and "repair job" to come back to work. Congrats on Boston, but yep you've done it now! Hope the winter is conducive to training.

I went out for an easy run later this afternoon. Wanted to go at lunch but that's when it started raining a bit! Just a little bit, but I didn't feel like running in it. Aforementioned repair job takes long enough without rain damage added to the mix. So, by 2:45 it was nice and sunny and 68° so off I went for 5.3 easy miles and a .4 mile walk to finish up. Legs felt pretty good considering the climb yesterday.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Nice reports from Jay and Twocat.  It would really be fun to do a relay with a group from here.

Hey, tet--nice job on your marathon.  I know I've said it before, but it's amazing to me that you can do these things with such little training...I suppose being too stubborn to quit helps.

My dad is finally starting to feel a little better.  He's still in a lot of pain but he's having fun teasing the nurses so I know he's feeling better.

I'm trying to figure out what to use for hydration for the VT50.  I bought a water bottle belt that is very comfortable--the bottle lies horizontally right in the arch of my back--but the bottle keeps sliding out of it.  My son, Mikey, was able to get me a hydration vest through a sponsor of his Nordic ski team, that I spent the last week trying or get used to, but it is really hot and the collar rubs against my neck, so I've already decided that one is out.  I guess, I'm going to have to figure out out to keep that water bottle in it's sleeve.

Speaking of, Mikey...he called me on my way home from my run on Saturday...one of his dogs has cancer in one of its legs.  Mikey...my tough, Iraqi War Veteran son was crying, uncontrollably, over the thought of what was ahead for his dog.  Man, it's tough when your kids are hurting so badly.

No run for me tonight...it's a good thing, because I have had a splitting headache all day.  It seems like, once I get a headache, it takes two days to get rid if it.  I'm hoping it's gone by morning.

Okay--I think I'm done whining for the day--I'm going to bed.  See ya!

Oh, yeah--PBJ--that doesn't sound good.  You should get that checked out.

It's been fun catching up on the relay news.  Sounds like everyone had a blast.  I've never heard of anyone NOT enjoying one of those relays, but you do sometimes wonder about the lack of sleep, close quarters and discomfort, but it is all worth it for the memories that are made.

Congrats Tet, on another fine tunnel marathon.  Paul too - I assume he did well?

Let's see, what was I up to this weekend... Oh yeah, I remember! 

I hiked Mt. Ellinor with Mr. C.  It took almost 7 hours round trip, it is 3.1 miles to the summit.  Hardest 5K I have ever walked!  About 3200 ft elevation gain.  It was a beautiful day, couldn't have picked a better one, not a cloud and 50-60s on the mountain.  There were amazing views from up there (5944 ft) of all of Puget sound, Seattle, Mt. Rainier, L. Cushman where my cabin is at, and west you could see Mt. Olympus in the Olympic National Park.  My legs were toast the next day, and still are!  Our dog issue has resolved, Remi behaved this time.  (Remi actually summited with us).  The whole weekend was fabulous     .....wish I could post a picture of Mr. C and I at the summit, but don't feel comfortable doing that on a public forum - maybe soon though.

Hope to run tomorrow, shake out these stiff legs.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey, tet--nice job on your marathon.  I know I've said it before, but it's amazing to me that you can do these things with such little training...I suppose being too stubborn to quit helps.

whew, I thought you were going to say that it’s “amazing you can do these things without any teeth” and “I suppose being too stupid to quit. helps” . . . though it would not be the first time I’ve been accused of the latter.
                            Enke - No particular reason but does Mr. C like fishes? 
                            Maybe if you can get distracted enough,
                            I’ll beat you after all in next month's Running-with-Fishes 5K. .
                            ps - At Sunday's Tunnel Lite Marathon, Paul seemed to be running closer to a four hour pace when he passed me three-or-four miles before I expected him to catch up from his regular starters.  It was getting so warm in the cloudless and more open last miles though that it must have even gotten to his Oklahoma running.
                            ps amy - how was the Abebe Bikila Marathon?
                            His running barefoot picture in a September 1960 Sports Illustrated winning the marathon at the Rome Olympics in 1960 has had a still-lasting impact.

ps jay - Mizuno Hitogami's are, indeed, for human gods.

maybe try them out out on one of your ATlantic Ocean seaviews some time.

Make sure it's shallow though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Woo hoo, Enke! Do you feel like you are in high school again? Nice 5K walk.

{{Mikey & Mikey's dog}}, that is tough, Mike. I have no help on hydration packs, I just put bottles here and there. I almost ordered a Nathan 2bottle one but it was $50.  I would love to do a relay too, but would have to get much much faster.  I will ill start saving my vacation time.

Hope you get the shoe kinks worked out, Jay. Great job on the relay. I would not like to be passed by a race-walker, but you would pass me most days.

Erica finally got a summer day in September, yeah! Too bad you can't bottle that up for January.

C-R,  do you run every single day or just work days. I would need a really long lunch hour to get 7 miles in.

Tet, my other set of grandparents were born in Norway. I wish I would have known them and been able to hear their stories. I know that they were very poor and worked very hard. I have been in the house that they raise 9 children in here in town. The upstairs had no heat source, just what drifted up through the floor grates. Dad told me this room was for mom and the girls and the boys and papa slept n the other. I guess that was after the nine children were born.

PBJ, please get that hip checked out, 5 weeks isn't a long time but the sooner you get it checked the better, right? Maybe just an anti-inflammatory would help in no time. I am taking Relafen for my bursitis right now and don't have any pain when I run.

Did anyone notice that MikeE finally has a day off of running and he comes home, tells his wife he has a headache and goes to bed?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Did anyone notice that MikeE finally has a day off of running and he comes home, tells his wife he has a headache and goes to bed?

Funny, way too funny.

I am home, dead tired, but with a joyful heart reminiscing a magnificent week back East and a fun filled relay race.

I did run 6 miles today half way between the airport and my home.

Ohhhhhhhhh, and Tetsujin did the Tunnel Light and met up with Paul Freeze, how cool is that!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard