Masters Running

It's Sunday! 3.22.15 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well, Tselbs. I hope that corner has been turned.

Nice 6er, Tramps, mud and all.

Pain sucks, Roch. I hope you can resolve that hip issue. Nice job on the modern-day PW that would have once been a goal time. Good perspective...

I'm glad you had a good time in the snow shower, Stumpy. Nice 2-lapper.

I'm glad you had fun (and didn't bite) at the vaca presentation, Holly.

Wow, Enke: Sorry about the knee; congrats on the new laptop; good luck with that potential job; and glad you had a good time with #28 (+/-). A speedy math nerd, eh?

Great pacing on your 16er, Mike. I hope you and Debbie had a good time at dinner.

Excellent 22er, Mariposai, and stunning photo from 16!

I'm glad you're having good weather, Evanflein. Now, if you could only get rid of that slush...

Yesterday it snowed (lightly) all morning, till about 12:30. Then the sun came out, and it a was beautiful afternoon. So DW and I drove up the coast, and made a TJs mini-run. For dinner last night, we had roast chicken with carmelized onions, haricort vert cooked stovetop in truffle olive oil, and Rose Finn apple fingerling potatoes from the farmer's market. Tasty.

10.7 RW miles with a late 4:45 start this morning. It was 31F (18 WC) with about a 20mph breeze when I headed out, and it had dropped to 22F (5 WC) by the time I got back. I floated when I had a tail wind. And I was all but stopped in my tracks when some headwind gusts found me. Fun stuff! I've had a wonderful hot shower, and now I'm really savoring this morning's first cup 'a joe. The temps are supposed to continue dropping all day, and the wind is going to stay with us, so it's a good day for inside projects.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks for starting things off, Jay. Nice run this morning too, and only you are "late" at 4:45. Got something against sunlight? And welcome back to Enke!

This leg issue is really weird. Last Saturday it hardly hurt at all in the race and then ached on Sunday; this weekend it hurt like hell during the race yesterday and today feels OK (I still wouldn't want to run on it for a while!). When I got the results from yesterday I was a bit bummed because I'm sure that I could have placed 3rd if I'd been healthy. As it was, I was 8th of 10 in the 65-69 AG but after all was doing it in jogging mode.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good morning Jay, Roch and those who will join us a little later. Your menu from last night sounded delicious Jay. From someone who is truly culinary "challenged," what is haricort vert? Enjoy that hot cup of coffee!  So sorry that leg continues to give you problems Roch. Rest is always a good thing. Do you have a foam roller or "the stick"?

Hey Enke! Enjoy that new laptop - and the continual string of eligible bachelors that are in the cue.

Hope Ribs made it back safely.

Is there a deadline for those plane tickets Holly?

(((Tselbs))) You're always such a positive influence on the rest of us. Here's a little of that back at'cha that you'll be feeling better soon.

Ran 8 yesterday and didn't feel like bundling up this morning, so I went to the Y with DH. 45 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights. I would have stuck around a little longer but DH came up to me with his coat on and asked me if I was ready to go. Um - looks like you already had your mind made up, dear

The UWGB women's team played undefeated Princeton yesterday (with President Obama in the audience). They hung tough until the end of the second half but couldn't pull it out. Did anyone see the Georgia coach's interview after their loss yesterday? He and his son were pretty emotional. My brackets are "busted," but it's still so much fun to watch these games. Hopefully the Badgers will beat the Ducks

Have a great Sunday everyone.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

10.7 RW miles with a late 4:45 start this morning.

Jay - even your “late” start was early enough for it still be today over here in Japan.
          Enke - thank for your update. I’ve been out of it ever since my two week trip to Japan in January is now two-and-a-half months and counting. 
          I’ve acquired a new interest in mountain-side temples and shrines with more than 1,000 stair steps of one-kind-or-the-other to the top. Been to four so far and am so addicted that, when I couldn’t get out-of-town a couple of weekends ago, I went up a 48 stair promonade at Osaka Station and down the adjacent escalator 150 times (7,200 stairs)
          However, if anyone tries to tell you spareribs was at the Washington “Athletic” Club in Seattle, don’t believe it.  In the first place, the WAC is for old fogies even older than the ancient one who walk on the treadmill for a little bit and take a swim or jacuzzi.  The last time anyone broke out a sweat there was when the stock market fell 300 points.
          Besides, no one who’s been a regular runner for 70 or 80 years would be able to deny the siren calls of Green Lake, the waterfront parks, Alki Beach or even your beloved Bridle Trails. Let’s hope he got to Ivar’s Acres of Clam (“when the tide’s out, the table’s set") Seafoods or some of the pretenders.

Have great Sundays everyone too,

I sure did,

oyasumi nasai.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Well yes, I am home from the Tetless Seattle and although not fully rested, as I could tell from my listless 8 mile run this morning with the Saint, I do feel mentally refreshed and ready to run again tomorrow.

The WAC is more than just an athletic club, as Tet surely knows.  It is a Seattle institution and historical landmark.  You could spend hours looking only at the pictures there.  I didn't bring my running gear as I was super busy, doing my stand up routine during the day and my other client work all night Monday through Friday.  I did go down to any of the myriad workout rooms in the mornings and did some stretching and core work however, so that was something.

The view from the Top of the WAC of Puget Sound and Divechief's ferries going back and forth was quite beautiful and on breaks my participants would go to the windows and look out at the city and the water.

I worked every day this week and as I couldn't fly out Friday night, I stayed at the Sea Tac Marriott and got home yesterday morning.  Quite a trip.  Spareribs

Tramps

Wow, Mari!  Gorgeous photo.  You're going to rock Boston!

Nice job in the wind, Jay.

Whenever someone mentions Sea Tac I think of the Robin Hitchcock song, which makes me laugh.  I'm easily amused.

Out for 13 this morning, which is long for me these days.  Harder than it used to be.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

We've stayed at the WAC before, it is pretty nice. Welcome home from Tetless Seattle, Ribs!

Tramps, 13 would be really long for me, too. I might work up the steam to do 12 today....

Jlynne, we're hoping the Ducks beat the Badgers because we'd rather have the AZ Wildcats play Ducks vs. Badgers. And anyone not knowing what we're talking about must think we're nuts. Funny about your DH's subtle hint that he wanted to go.

Hope you get some relief, Roch. Frustrating to have pain like that.

Haricort vert... french style green beans. Yum, Jay your dinner sounded very yummy!

Cooler here today so I'll have ice to deal with but minimal slush. I "only" need 12 for a 50 mile week, but as I wrote above, a 12-mile run isn't the casual thing it used to be. Not only is finding good footing an issue, my legs will think I'm trying to kill them.

How are French style any different that regular style green beans?  Or are they the super skinny ones?

Ran 5 mile loop near home with Remi.  Too many walk breaks, but that is what feels right for now with my poor conditioning.  My knee was fine.  Yippee.  No Mike, I haven't seen a doctor about it, as it seems to get better the minute I start thinking about picking up the phone to make an appointment.

So Ribs has been in town and I didn't know it....one of these days....

Going for a walk this afternoon with Door#28??+1.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Marathon Maniac #957

I’ve acquired a new interest in mountain-side temples and shrines with more than 1,000 stair steps of one-kind-or-the-other to the top. Been to four so far and am so addicted that, when I couldn’t get out-of-town a couple of weekends ago, I went up a 48 stair promonade at Osaka Station and down the adjacent escalator 150 times (7,200 stairs)

Awesome!

Enke - glad to see you again, and hopefully the news that inspired you to get the new laptop continues to be good.

I know I am still not supposed to be running until after this Thursday's appt. with the oral surgeon, but I wanted to go out to the Germantown 10-mile Trail Race to maybe race-walk it and cheer on ladies from our running team on this fine but chilly spring day.  Of course, once I started I could not bear not to run a little, but the soft and springy mud of the trails was easy on the joints and not jarring at all, so I think I was okay to do so.  Boy do I feel out of shape, though!  I realize that Germantown is known for tough trails (lots of steep ascents and descents that I mostly walked), but afterward, I felt like I had run 17-18 miles, not just 10.  Felt great, though, to be out there with so many wonderful local runners in the woods, sharing cheerful hellos and smiles.

10 miles for me today in 2:08:28, which was good for 3/3 AG, 36/45 females, 113/133 total finishers, which really is not bad for taking it gently.

Ok, back to non-running until after Thursday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

....easy does it roch//......don't fall for the ''But It Doesn't Hurt When I Run'' trick,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's hurt, let it heal

trust me on this one

===========

30-min poolrun yesterday,

30-min bike ride today..........50's and mild

Hip was really Bad yesterday, first time I could actually feel the ball joint on my hip

...........but I got in 4-work-outs so I feel it's ok to post again

...............good running guys...............watch it if it hurts

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

FGCU (remember Dunk City?) women have it going on this year! Too Bad they're playing Florida State Monday night.

Roch, take it easy on that leg.  My thigh turned black and blue from the strain, yecch.

Lots of folks here doing last long runs before Boston.   I always thought it was 3 weeks out, the last one.

Sox game tomorrow.  Sleepy....DH and I up very early to drive north for a half.  It was hot.  I was slow.  Medals are pretty.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Oh, Holly, Holly, Holly...that's why you shouldn't even go to those things when you're not supposed to run....but nice job...

Erika--I'm doing something called the Downtown River Run in Reno Nevada on April 12th.  It's not the Nevada marathon I would have wanted to do but it's close to San Francisco, which is where my wife wanted to go for a little vacation.  And, yes, I have done Boston.  If one of my kids would ever qualify for it, I could be talked into doing it again...assuming that I could still qualify...which I never count on.

Anyway, I did 6 more miles today after church to give me a total of 60 miles for the week.  It's been awhile since I've done that.  Then, I went to work for a couple hours...so much fun.

How was the walk, Enke?

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

Holly! We need dg to find her duct tape! I sure hope the results aren't posted somewhere your oral surgeon/dentist will see them! I know how hard it is to not run, but they tell you that for a reason. *sigh*

Mike, we do that sometimes, try to find a marathon close to a work trip destination. Sometimes it works out. Anytime we can get help with travel costs, it's worth it! And yes, I'm sure you could qualify for Boston quite handily.

So it was cooler today, and cloudy, so that means the watery slush was now frozen slush. Lots of icy spots out there today. I did end up at one point where I wasn't sure which way to go... all the options looked pretty bad. A few out-and-backs and some exciting patches but no falls. Had to stop and adjust my spike things which seem to rotate around to the inside when on hard ice. Not sure what's up with that. I wonder if they've stretched out? Anyway, I took it as they're as sick of winter as I am. 12.3 miles which brings me to 51.1 miles for the week. First 50 mile week of the year!

Mariposai

Not sure if to be happy or cry about Holly's run today.

As for me, 4 recovery miles with the Easy Pacer, who had to slow down his run for me.

Then it was the first BBQ of the season for us. Twocat's rub and slow cooked ribs...it was so yummie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard