Masters Running

Tuesday - National Pancake Day - 3/3/2015 (Read 36 times)

Dave59

If you live near an IHop and like pancakes you can go get a free stack of buttermilks today.  Unfortunately there is no IHop near here and even if there was I am not in a pancake mood today.

Have a nice ordinary day!

After a couple days off of running I was up at 4:00 and downtown to meet the hill gang by 5:00.  Nothing like a 20° day to bring out the folks.  6 of us today.  We covered 5.32 miles (except for the 3 that left early.)

It was a good way to get back into the swing of things after my short running vacation.

Hard to believe it is after 11 and I am the second one in the daily!

Dave59 No pancakes for me either.  I guess I will have to hide out until tomorrow!  Also, remind me never to hire you as an exterminator.

Mariposai I would feel sorry for you for having to do all of that administrative work for the Orchards in Bloom race but I know you actually love doing it!

tutsujin209 my students think I am a monster!  It is a persona I work carefully to cultivate.  By the way, do you have an extra ticket to Hawaii?

SteveP pretty neat picture of the ice shelf.  I did not know that could happen either!

Mike E yeah, yeah everyone's a comedian!  The water mitigation firm has been here all morning sealing off and then tearing up the basement.  

I knew there was a good reason for my general rule to hit the TM when it is below 20 outside.  Today I broke it.  Around mile 4 my left cheek felt like it was going to come off in frozen chunks.  Fortunately, if you run with mittens up against your face you look like an idiot but your cheek defrosts.  Then about mile 8 the fingers on my right hand announced they were frozen solid and would not longer move or feel anything for me until I did something about it.  All in all though, still a bit better than the TM for my 10 mile run.  Not a lot better, but a bit.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Fortunately, if you run with mittens up against your face you look like an idiot but your cheek defrosts. 

The back and forth about the mice was funny!  Thanks for the

SteveP - Somethings I think Tag is half human.

JLynne and 2K - .  But I do agree with Posie and Kevin re the sweet returns for JLynne.

Well, I slept for almost 11 hours.  Not straight through, but I fell asleep around 7:30 and finally crawled out of bed around 6:45.  Was awake off and on from about 3:30 on, but more sleeping than not sleeping, so decided to stay put.  I'll run my 6 at the McKay after work.

Have a good Tuesday ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

hardly worth posting, but I did 1.6 miles on the hotel TM this morning.  surprisingly, it was a newer model of the kind in my gym and did the rolling hills routine much better.  This was short due to the 20 minute argument with myself as to whether a run or an extra hour of sleep would be the best course of action.   I feel better that I did it, but didn't have time to make up for the argument.

somehow I visualize TC looking like "the Scream" as he runs down the road.  All I can say is balaclava.

Welcome back, Leslie.  glad you've finished off your jetlag.  I've always found that coming east is harder than going west.  Of course that could be when I was going west it was to someplace exotic and east was coming home.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I knew there was a good reason for my general rule to hit the TM when it is below 20 outside.  Today I broke it.  Around mile 4 my left cheek felt like it was going to come off in frozen chunks.  Fortunately, if you run with mittens up against your face you look like an idiot but your cheek defrosts.

Ha! When I read this I wasn't imagining the left cheek on your FACE to be frozen.  Sorry about your water (and mice) issues.

MikeE -   How are you doing?

Posai - I wish I could run the Orchards in Bloom race. It would be lovely.  Maybe when I retire, which will be 3 years and 2 months from now. MrStarr will be 65 in April, 2018 so once he can get on Medicare it will make health insurance for just me affordable.  I have been listening to Dave Ramsey's podcasts and we should be able to do our debt free scream by then (again, sigh!).

Tet - I hope you get a layover in Hawaii, that would be nice. What a lot of running you have been doing, wow!  And Leslie, 4 runs while on vacation there doesn't sound too  Glad you had a good time, although sleeping on the futon should have been rotated every other night, right?

Roch - enjoy the warmer weather and be glad it's not August in Death Valley.  I have never been there. Is that where Badwater is?  Great 5K pace with shorts too!

Jlynne - moves are never hassle free are they?  At least you had a place to go. I still have boxes that are not unpacked.

I was supposed to say hello to everyone from dg (Debbie). We both have Hallux Rigidus in our toes, which was what my surgery was for.  She has other health problems too now. She had a concussion in January from a fall while skiing.  Now it is hard for her to read and be on the computer, etc.  She had that broken leg last year too and persevered through all that.  Anyway, she says "HI".

SteveP - I think it's time for an Avenger Doggie post, I miss those.

No running today, and no pancakes either. MrStarr and I plan to go to the spin class at the Y after work.  We are in a blizzard watch but it doesn't look too bad yet so it may miss us.

Gotta go back to work here.  See ya!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Ha! When I read this I wasn't imagining the left cheek on your FACE to be frozen.  

A barrage of new cases has me overloaded, so I left for work early this morning, which cut into my running time.

3.4 miles for me on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Poor dg, she has suffered through all kinds of physical setbacks.  Give her my best Starr.

Well, on Sundays the Saint and I run at least 8 out at the lake but the ice and rain caused us to call it a day at 5 miles, so today we did our 8 in the park.  Sluggish though.  It's overcast and drizzling a bit but supposed to clear and go high 60's today, but then the cold comes back tomorrow, typical for here.  I guess spring is next week.

Spareribs

Poor dg, she has suffered through all kinds of physical setbacks.  Give her my best Starr.

Will do, Ribs.  I reread her message and she now has "post concussive syndrome" and said "I'm trying to learn whatever life lessons I can from this, & there are several.   But, it's important that I limit reading, screen time, even talking & listening, etc.  to the level where I don't aggravate the symptoms.  (not to mention exercise!)   Who knew that a concussion could be a big deal??  I never did! "

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

{{{DG!}  Yes, she has indeed had her unfair share of setbacks the last couple of years.  The Hub had a concussion a few years ago from an auto accident, and it took quite awhile for him to completely recover.  It wasn't a fun obviously, but at the same time it was interesting.  The brain is an amazing thing.

This morning, my really great boss had to call me on something I messed up before I left on vacation.  He was very nice about it, but I felt terrible for the screw up and felt bad for him for having to call me on it.  Is it appropriate to hug your boss in those instances?

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody--

Well...I just deleted my entire post because I had done exactly what I was staying away from...telling you all of my problems.

Yes--I'm running.  Please don't ask about my heel.

Yes--I'm working.  Please don't ask about my job.

I won't be ready for my marathon , next month, but I'm determined to run it, anyway.  I figure I walked just about 26 miles in that dang 50 miler, last year, so I should be able to limp through it one way or another.

Okay--that's it.  Gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

Mariposai I would feel sorry for you for having to do all of that administrative work for the Orchards in Bloom race but I know you actually love doing it!

Yes, I love doing it and I have the best team of volunteers one could ever ask for, but it is still dedicating two plus hours of my evenings for the cause. I feel like a very, very pregnant lady right now. The day of the birth will be grand, but the last stage of the pregnancy is hard.

Meanwhile today, I did run  8 miles tonight with 7 at tempo. Very happy with the effort, Canadian winds attack and all.

DG, I am so sorry to hear about this new health episode in her live. I love that girl.

Star, yes, you will come to Orchards in bloom some day, where else will you have the two city majors, indian queen and cowboy queen giving you your award?

Cheers to all my frozen face friends. I am so sorry that winter has been so cruel to you all. You are welcome to my humble posie hut for a warm soup.

Cheers,

Mariposai

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Pancakes are a weekend delight. To have a National Pancake Day is absurd. Our household makes a big fuss over something that makes more sense. Today is "If Pets Had Thumbs Day". At times, we're thankful that our pets do not have a middle finger.

TwoCat, have you thought about wearing a cowl when it's that cold?

I miss DG. Tell her the mutt and I send our regards.

This morning, my really great boss had to call me on something I messed up before I left on vacation.  He was very nice about it, but I felt terrible for the screw up and felt bad for him for having to call me on it. 

I can relate.

SteveP