Masters Running

3.1.13 Friday Daily (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Hey - the date is another pallindrome!

Thanks for all the feedback on the race cancellation question yesterday - good thoughts!

Milktruck - Yes, Loco is a for-profit race organizer, and I assume that they still made money from the canceled race, although certainly not as much as if the race took place or if they didn't offer the discounts on another race.

JLynne, as soon as i read "secret discount code" in your post, I knew there was trouble coming! For our half in Nov. we give the beneficiary some comp entry forms that they can use any way they want - give to staff, use as an inducement to prospective sponsors, etc. The last 2 years, the beneficiaries waited till the race sold out and then auctioned the extra entries on Ebay (as I reported last year). They earned over $200 each for some nice extra income.

Great photo (and shirt) Ribs. I agree that you look mahvelous, especially after a 50K. Thanks also for the reminder about lemon peel & zest. Lemon zest looks great on top of our caviar pie...

Starr, what a great birthday for your mother! It sounds like everyone had a terrific time, whether they arrived early or late. I also used to drive an ice cream truck, but that is a story for another time.

TomW, so sorry to read about the back spasms. They do get in the way of workouts, and just about everything else, don't they. I hope these are short-lived.

Jlynne, I'm glad that your DH survived his rotator cuff surgery, and hope that you get good news about your MRI today.

Tet, if you are interested, we still have our old 64K Radio Shack TRS80 computer (uses audio cassettes for data storage), if you're interested...

I had every intention of going out and beating up my hip again this morning, but I was exhausted from a long and intense day yesterday, and so I started the month with a sleep-in.

Happy March!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//.........here is a very effective and simple hip brace.......

http://supports4less.com/cramer/groin_strain.htm

I've used it, and it helps

=========

I have a BackSpasmDrill...........at one point

I was wearing FOUR layered back braces (got the idea from the Roman Army)

usually

takes the strain off for a day,

and the spasm goes away.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...helmet and spear are optional.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Although handy if you run up against some geese............

3.25 miles this morning in the non-existant (but predicted) snow storm.  Actually a very nice morning at 35°.  I think I managed a fast last mile, but won't know for sure until I download tonight.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Same stuff all week, a couple of recovery miles on the dirt.  Tomorrow I'm going into Dallas to volunteer at the Trinity River Levee Bridge Run for my Dallas-based running club.  Then I'm going to smoke a whole brisket in the afternoon for a big family dinner on Sunday.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

...helmet and spear are optional.....

Big grin

Today I had planned to get up at 4am so I could do a 9-mile pace run, then the plan was to do 19 miles tomorrow morning.  However, DD has been scheduled for a 10am championship basketball game for tomorrow morning, which I would likely miss if I did my 19 miles, so I changed up my plan and will do the pace run tomorrow and the LR Sunday.  Just as well, because I was so tired this morning, I really didn't want to get up at 4am.  As it was, even 5am was hard.

5 easy-paced miles on the TM.  And 1 burpee.

Happy March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TomW - Big grin

Hang in there with the hip, Jay.

My quads are sore and tired, but my 4 EZ went well this a.m.  Probably could've been more aggressive with my 30 min of strength training, but my heart just wasn't in it.  I used for foam roller for a few minutes this morning, and have decided I really need to find a sports massage  therapist to go to every three weeks or so.  I've been getting regular transcription jobs at home, so it shouldn't be too taxing on the finances.

Tomorrow is my last LR, and then I get to start my taper in the Rodeo Valley 50k on March 16.  I plan to savor the lower mileage since afterward, things are going to start getting a bit harder to get ready for Memorial Day Weekend and Mt. Hood.

Okay - Lunch time is over ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

4 miles at lunch time on an absolutely beautiful March day! 70 and sunny.  Would be nice if this was going to last through the weekend, but this is apparently just a one day teaser. Upper 50's and rainy forecasted. Glad my long run this weekend is only about 10, although I'll probably do a bit more since last weekend I had to cut my 15 miler short.

But since today is so awesome, I think DH and I will head downtown tonight for First Friday Art Walk.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Psst...hey, Holly--the Kentucky Derby Marathon is NEXT month...is it time to watch the forecasts?

Marathon Maniac #957

Psst...hey, Holly--the Kentucky Derby Marathon is NEXT month...is it time to watch the forecasts?

Oh dear....does that mean I need to start training now?

Tammy - low 20's in the forecast for my runs this weekend.  Can we trade?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

8.58 miles doing 4x those hill circuits like last week, except without the springing. I think that odd high knee "hot potato" feet is what aggravated my sacrum to the point of wonkiness. So instead I just ran fast up my hills, and it was good enough. Thanks all for the kind words regarding my training. The encouragement really means a lot.

Marathon Maniac #957

I think that odd high knee "hot potato" feet is what aggravated my sacrum to the point of wonkiness.

What does it feel like when your sacrum is aggravated?  Is that sort of like your tailbone?  I am impressed at how many here can identify so accurately what their sore part is.  Mostly with me it's "my leg hurts" or "my foot hurts."  Joking

What is going on?  The daily has really emptied out this week.

Holly S. we finished off the last of those turkey burgers and they were good!  I put guacamole on them and skipped the buttered bun.  For my two cents they tasted better my way.  I also experimented with my oven roasted french fries recipe.  I saw some chef saying the key to french fries is to soak the cut potatoes in water and vinegar for a few hours prior to frying.  So I thought why not prior to baking?  Worked quite well thank you!  Next I am going to experiment with various vinegars to see if that makes a difference.  Maybe also try dropping some herbs like rosemary into the water.

tomwhite maybe less bulky if you taped the spear to your back.  Just be careful about leaning your head back.  Joking

stumpy77 depends on how you have your Garmin set, assuming that is what you are using.  If you turn on autolap and set it for a mile at a time you can read your miles paces from the watch.

Spareribs umm smoked Texas style brisket . . . yummm mail to Twocat at . . .

fatozzig good to hear the work keeps, um, foam rolling in!  Big grin  I just could not help it!

TammyinGP 70 and sunny!  Oh the pain, the pain.  I have not seen the sun in a week.  Sad

OrangeMat I know hill work helps but boy is it tough!

I did my 11 mile run today at a sub 8:40 pace without really trying.  I am really, really happy about that.  It is my first run close to the times I would (at least occasionally) see pre-ankle problems.  Who knows maybe this training stuff works?  Tomorrow I am off from running and then Sunday it is a 25K race along the hilliest route imaginable.  Well, imaginable for all but Wildchild.  For her it is a pretty flat course.  But for the rest of us it is a route where the hills have hills.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Hilly route? someone said hilly route?.

Ribs, smoke brisket, yummie! Thanks for volunteering at the race! As a race director I really appreciate people who volunteers.

Stumpy, how is your  marathon training coming along?

TomWhite, you crack me up.

Leslie, good luck with your last long run this weekend. You too Holly.

Well, today I ran my first long run (run over 3 hours) since my Paraguay marathon in December. I did not know how the run would go since I ran 9 miles yesterday with 6 @ tempo and the legs were tired. To my surprise the legs did Ok, but hydration and nutrition did not. I needed more water for the 60F weather we had today and more shot block. Got it done and now I have the whole weekend to play Smile

Here is what my little hilly run looked like today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hilly route? someone said hilly route?. 

Welcome back to longer runs, posie.  By coincidence, this month's Norwest Runner features Bloomsday's Doomsday we did last year (and past years too) along with my beloved Galer/Madison Duo in the Seattle Marathon you've conquered too, 1.1 miles up to the top of Rosa Hill at mile 23 of the Yakima River Canyon Marathon and, of course, the first one you ever did to the top of the St. John's Bridge at  mile 17 in Portland.  Hope you still might be able to get Rosa under your belt too on April 6.  Let me know if DH might be willing to walk with someone who's looking for some marathon walking practice (nope, not race walking, Jay, . . .but I wish).

';;'

The best hills seem to give glimpse of what's ahead before it is.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)