Masters Running

Saturday, 3.26.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

"Ohboyohboy" is right, TW - have fun on the trails!

Impressive 19 into the wind, Marj! What did you do with the coffee?

Welcome back, Dave. Good luck with the new project. Good babyBat cartoon.

WC, part of my job is to make sure the new trail/boardwalk doesn't do harm to the salt marsh. It would also be a great place to teach people about the marsh. Good news, I suppose, about your knee. At least there won't be any surgery needed. But being a patient patient is tough.

I really liked the back-and-forth between TC and Tet yesterday over the wisdom and appropriateness of using a "." at times, even if writing without any "." puts a different perspective on things and requires more attentiveness to follow the thought thread because there isn't anytime for the reader (or their brain) to take a breath until they are all the way through and wondering what just happened"."

Good workout on a "lazy" day, Holly.

Nice run home and evening with the kids, Evanflein! And, thanks - I had a nice dinner with the boss too.

Another 15, Mike? Wow!

Nice 5er on tired legs, Mariposai.

Steve, that is a very scary photo! 

7.8 RW miles this morning under overcast skies in 34F temps. Tonight we're going to a small dinner party at a neighbor's home where the topic of the evening will be presidential politics. There will be people of a variety of political persuasions, so it should be interesting. We did this a little over a month ago at another neighbor's house, and had a very lively, but quite civil discussion. I expect it will be the same this evening.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tonight we're going to a small dinner party at a neighbor's home where the topic of the evening will be presidential politics. There will be people of a variety of political persuasions, so it should be interesting. We did this a little over a month ago at another neighbor's house, and had a very lively, but quite civil discussion. I expect it will be the same this evening.

I thought politics and religion were the two big topics to avoid with friends and family. You're a brave man, Jay! We have some very "opinionated" friends that the subject of politics is always best left alone

Good news about your MRI Carolyn. I guess.  Now don't make us get out the duct tape!

Red or white with our Easter dinner, Twocat?

Awww - the Badgers had that game last night!!

10 miles this morning in 29°, no wind with clear blue sky and bright sunshine. Still lots of snow making the trail very tricky, but all in all a pretty good run. Now off to help DS#1 paint for the rest of the day.

Have a great Easter weekend everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

When I was in the Air Force, I was stationed with a guy who knew about periods, commas, sentences, and paragraphs...he just had no idea how, or when, to use them.  He would just randomly insert any punctuation mark whenever he felt like it.  He would start a new paragraph in the middle of sentence.  It was really sad to read anything he wrote.  It did, however, explain how he ended up as a Security Policeman...sentenced stationed at Minot ND for four years...with me...

...mornin' guys//...........well,

wrapping up Holy Week at our Church,

we had a different Choir

each day and it's an UnOfficial Competition to see who can do the best arrangement

check out ''Wordless Prayer''

which is one of the most Despairing Songs we ever sang

I think we ''Won''.

http://www.firstprescookeville.org/#!audio/c20ow

Great Accapella at 3:23

pretty good for 10-people

===============

..but I digress......

40-min PoolRun, no belt, closed fists, run in shallows

hitting trails again tomorrow

..................good running guys, and Happy Easter to ya.............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Psst...I was rooting for Wisconsin, last night, too...but don't tell Jlynne.

mrrun

I had a long post but the iPhone deleted it golden words lost in cyberspace

however I did add some ..... to use as needed

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

MikeE - being a certifiable Grammar Nazi, that would be almost physically painful for me.

Marj - I'll keep an eye out....

Jay - I think it is awesome that you can talk politics among friends with different viewpoints without rancor - that says a lot about what a great group of people they are, IMO.

Jlynne - so sorry about your snow.  As I stare outside at the brilliantly sunny day we are having, I wish I could send a bit of it your way.

Today was 27 degrees when I was getting ready for my run, but the forecast was a high of 61 degrees.  Hmmm, how to dress for a run that would be having such a huge temperature change?  As it was, I ran 5 miles in my 30-ish clothes, then went by my house and dropped off my jacket and one of my shirt layers.  It was around 48 degrees when I finished, but breezy enough that I was still pretty comfortable.  I don't think we will actually make it out of the 50's today, but the sun makes it feel warmer than it is.

20 miles for me today.  Slower than dirt, with too many walk breaks. But SUCH a lovely morning to be out there, and I had a good audio book to listen to the whole way.

Having a backyard that is fenced means our poor dogs don't get to go on walks much, but just get let out into the backyard.  Today after my run I decided to take them for a walk because it was such a glorious day.  Daisy darn near did a backflip when she saw the leashes in my hand, then she took off down the street so fast she nearly knocked me off my feet.  How can a dog that weighs 17 lbs be so darn strong?  I need to take the poor critters out more.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Went on three-mile hike today.*
                  Back to reality-ville tonight.
                  It’s been fun.
                  Like it?
                  Yes.
                  ok.

!
                  *with DD and GS’s cub scout den on a lakeside loop trail that starts out below the trimline that used to be part of the glacier when I was six years old. Then the trail dips deep into the Sitka spruce rain forests on the way back with old rusty pipes and wooden flumes still encircled with rusty steel bands and gold-mining ruins my great-grandfather worked when gramma was six years old in 1902. I felt like a ghost walking with all six generations.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

tw--your choir sounds great!

I had a ton of errands to run, this morning to help get things ready for, tomorrow's big Easter celebration at our house.  When I left, I felt fine...but, as I kept going through my day, I started feeling worse and worse...my nose just drips uncontrollably.  Knowing I had a 15 miler scheduled for today, I figured I'd better get on home and get it done before I started any worse.  So...that's what I did.  15 miles are done, I've eaten...and I feel like crap.  My dad will have to wait to see me next week.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

Stupid me, like Marj today, I just lost my post by closing the page.

10 miles on the bridle trails.  Got er done.  I was wearing shorts, which felt pretty awesome and it got up to 58F by the end of the run, and sunny too!!  Alabaster white legs to go with the shorts.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker I am really impressed that your group with diverse views can have a civil discussion about politics. Very rare indeed.

Went off for 8 miles of jet lagged running today. Then worked a bit. Then DW and I went grocery shopping. Her family and some friends are coming over for lunch/dinner tomorrow. Holly S. we plan to start around 3pm if you want to come by.  More seriously, however, if any of the RA masters here on the the daily are in CT you are always welcome to come by my place for dinner or even spend the night.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Feel better, Mike. You can't be sick on Easter, ok?

Holly, I bet Daisy loved getting out and seeing something new! Yes, you should take them out more often. Hey, what is the marathon you're training for? It's the local one you did as your first? I guess I could go check Ilene's list, but hey, you know...

Nice run, Enke! How's the knee?

My son went to the democratic caucus today, his first real foray into anything politic other than pushing for the legalization of marijuana a year or so ago. He was pretty interested in the process, and couldn't believe the lines! They were expecting about 600 people and ended up with well over 1,000. He was there quite awhile, texting us off and on what was going on. Pretty cool. I have to admit, we've never done it even though we vote in all the elections. Bernie took the day for Alaska with over 80% of the vote, so DS1 was pretty happy with that.

While he was doing that, I went shopping. I am trying to be really good and make as complete a list as I can and not stray from it. But hey, when you find a deal you weren't expecting, you just have to stock up, right? So it is I came home with 6 boxes of Rosemary Triscuits and a flat (12 cans) of cat food. I got other stuff, too, of course, but wasn't expecting those. I'm bad at the "stocking up" syndrome though, probably held over from when I had two teenage boys cleaning out my kitchen and pantry on a regular basis. So this year I've been trying to be good and use what's in the pantry and freezer before buying more. But I'm a sucker for a sale... (sigh).

6 miles today at mostly easy effort with the first and last half miles being very (very) muddy. I figured I've run races in mud like this so what the heck. I wore the shoes I wore on our muddy Hawaiian hike last November, so no new shoes had to go through that. Temps in the upper 30's but like Holly's run, it felt much warmer when the sun was shining.

Uff da! Where did the day go? I had to clean the house, well some it, this morning.  We don't have company coming for Easter dinner, but I need to get some neglected rooms.  When I checked the NWS for the weather I discovered rain was a possibility so headed out at noon for my long run. I know 7 miles isn't long for most of you but it was my longest in probably 2 years.  The rain started at about 5 miles to the end but I was wetter in the inside of my clothes that outside.  Holly, at 34° I only wear 2 layers and usually get too warm unless there is much wind - today it was just 11 mph.

Have a great Easter everyone.  I will get caught up on everyone tomorrow.  Good night.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich