Masters Running

Wicked Weather Wednesday 3/4 (Read 35 times)

Good morning good people! Winter just doesn't want to loosen its grip this year. It was 10° and quite windy with a -15 wind chill factor. Oh well, at least the sun is out. Off for yet another dreadmill run at the Y. I ran 6 yesterday and my tired legs said "not today," so I ran 2, then hopped on an elliptical for 45 minutes followed with some free weights and core stuff. There are 4 Y's in this area, and now that we're moved I'm conducting an experiment to see which one is the closest to my house.

So sorry to hear about dg's health problems. I hope things improve for her - she's such a great lady.

Sounds like you're in a bad biorhythmic cycle too, Mike. Hang in there!

No pancakes here yesterday - still haven't totally put my kitchen/pantry back together. DH has been living on cereal and yogurt for the past few days. Oh. And coffee. I kept track of where the coffee pot was because there would be serious problems without that.

DS#1 and DIL are in Hawaii this week for a work conference/vacation. They got their regular sitter to come to the house and stay with Will, Ben and Nicholas while they're gone. Last night Will and Ben had swimming lessons so the sitter brought Nicholas over here for a few hours. After their lessons were over, the three boys had great pleasure ripping open the boxes that I had packed their Legos, books, puzzles and cars in. The room was a total disaster, but it looks exactly like every other room in our house right now

Still no washing machine....have a great day everyone.

King of PhotoShop

Our crappy weather continues with light rain today and temps in the mid-50's, but it will get colder and the rain will turn to snow later in the day.  People here are already talking about schools closing.  We can't believe it!

3.3 solo slow miles this morning at the park and a light workout at the Y.

Today I'm doing a PowerPoint for a one and a half day training program. I hate PP, but the client wants it, so there you have it.  I hate PP.

Spareribs

TammyinGP

A new-to-me workout last night. 12 x 30-20-10's.  30 seconds at 50% effort, 20 seconds at 75% effort and 10 seconds at 90% effort. Kind of a fun way to mix it up.

that was also David's workout in track yesterday, only they did 30 reps. He ended up with a total of 7.8 miles in their workout yesterday and was exhausted. welcome to HS track!

tonight is an easy 5 miles and even though it's only about 30 right now, it should be at least double that by this afternoon.

Welcome back from Hawaii Leslie! And I saw it was your bday while you were away but since I knew you likely weren't plugged in on vacation, I didn't leave birthday msgs on your FB, so happy belated birthday to you!

Tammy

Thanks, Tammy.  It was a tough way to turn 49, but I held my own and sacrificed for the cause.   The Hub told me today that I'm really 50 'cause I'm going through my 50th year.  He said that while I was holding a knife in my hand . . . .

SteveP - If pets had thumbs - scary.  Wilson and Chico would have a field day with the cat food container.

I got in my 6 at the McKay last night, working on conversational pace and form.  It's a never-ending process, isn't it?  This morning it was 45 min of stat bike with 10 x 1 min hard in the middle, followed by about 40 min of core/ST.  April 12 and Peterson Ridge Rumble are no longer creeping up, it feels like they're barreling down on me.  Cripes, I hope I'm ready!

Have a wonderful day ~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Jlynne, it sounds like your move is going like most moves go, sorry to say. That's why we all love moving so much! Good move to keep track of the coffee pot!! I'm glad the boys are doing their fair share of unpacking. Good for you that you're still getting your workouts in.

It's good to have an idea of how you feel about PP, Ribs... More snow for you too, eh?

Wow - impressive workouts for you and David, Tammy!

Your Hub should know not to say those things to a woman with a knife. Happy BB, regardless of your age. I have no doubt that you'll be ready for the PRR.

Alas, more overnight snow, so no workout this morning. I'm not going on the roads when there is fresh snow - with the minor melting we've been having, there is some ice underneath that fresh snow that I won't know about till I'm lying on my back, staring at the sky. I'm OK with the snow that we have, but I'm really, really ready for at least a few days-worth of dry pavement. Obe la di, obe la da...

Keep smiling, have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

jlynne, it's great your in your new house, even with the glitches.  Twocat, it sounds like some progress on the plumbing problems.  starr, it's good to hear from dg even though it's sad to hear about her health issues.  Nice long run for Twocat and impressive workout for Tammy.

Yesterday, we had some snow and some rain and some sleet.  So, even though the temperature wasn't too bad this morning, I was afraid of what the roads would be like.  I got in 5 miles on the TM.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Henrun

Speaking of weather-43 degrees here and cloudy- and the mountains of snow are beginning to slowly melt. Maybe spring will really happen this  year. Went out for 6 (my longest run since last summer) in SHORTS ! Cold returning for a few days but NO snow.

Big family partay this Saturday as we celebrate someone's special birthday. All our local family and my DD and SIL and GS's coming in from Ohio..

Spareribs why do you hate PP?   I use it all the time and find it quite helpful.  Almost all of my lectures use PP as a backdrop.

fatozzig  What was your DH thinking?  Something like, "How much trouble can I get into with my DW?  Let me see . . ."

stumpy77 I had another person suggest that I get a balaclava.  I just cannot see running outside if I need one.

StarrRuns I am so sorry to hear that dg. is going through such hard times.  My best to her.

Mike E it is your knee and I will not ask, but why not give it a rest so it can recover?  Knees can be very unforgiving if sufficiently damaged.

SteveP same problem as the balaclava.  Just not something I want to run with.

Jlynne looks like you are having a great time!  Mess or no mess!

Good weather news coastwalker and tselbs, it will clear up on Friday.  Of course, tomorrow it will snow.  Then on Friday we get hit by another deep freeze . . . Will this never end! 

I put in 9 miles on the TM today.  It is warmer than yesterday and raining.  Joy oh joy!  My goal is to somehow figure out how to run 14 on Friday.  We have an arctic blast coming.  The day's high will be in the low 20's.  On the other hand, 14 on a TM may kill me.  Then again, 14 in frigid temperatures may kill me.  How to die is always such a tough question. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

one of our local meteorologists just left her job here last week to take a meteorologist job with a news station in Albany, NY. Stating she has family in NJ and wanted to be closer to home . . . but I'm like 'you're  a meteorologist . . . you know what the weather is like right now on the east coast . . . and yet, you are leaving So. Or. where it's practically 70 degrees right now, for that??!!" . . . isn't that what Skype is for? for keeping in face-to-face contact with your family???

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

TC-maybe run 7 each way and you'll end up only half dead. 

I lost the argumentwith myself this morning and took the ext.  hour of sleep  now I'm stuck in Philly waiting for aplane

And apparently not having much luck typing.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

The Hub told me today that I'm really 50 'cause I'm going through my 50th year.  He said that while I was holding a knife in my hand . . . .

My oral surgery, which had been scheduled for 3/20, has been moved to this Friday due to some conflict of the doctor's.  Since I have to take 3 weeks off running, I am happier to get it over with while the weather is still carpy.  Plus, I would just rather get it over with.  I am loaded up with Percocet, antibiotics, and 200 hours of DVR's shows, so I expect the weekend will be fairly sedentary.  I have only been put under anesthetic a couple times in my life, and unfortunately, I keep thinking about Joan Rivers going in for a "routine" procedure and look how that went.  Not a good thought.

I am impossibly buried at work with a deluge of new crisis cases, all of whom expect me to work miracles and move heaven and earth to have them all Medicaid-eligible by the end of this month.  I can just feel the grey hairs popping out on my head.  (sigh)

Only 4.1 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, best of luck with the oral surgery on Friday!  That sounds scarier than running 50 miles. And you'll be recuperating on your 50th birthday this weekend?  You sure know how to celebrate!

Jeanne, sorry to hear about the moving woes - but how do you like the new place?

Leslie, welcome home!  Hawaii sounds wonderful.  What are you doing for your 50th next year?

Henry - running in shorts!!! Woo hoo!

Twocat, you're not dead yet -  just get out there and run!  Or not -  no one is paying any of us to do this, after all...

I had a "what was I thinking?" kind of run today -  I thought I'd do a short trail run in the state park on the way home from doing some errands.  It was 15° and very windy.  I zipped my hood up to my nose, put on my microspikes while still in my car, and ventured out to the trail.  I made it maybe 1/10 mile before I turned around and went back to the car! Yikes!   I wasn't sure if I'd freeze or blow away first!  When I got home I warmed up by the wood stove, and then took the dogs for a short run.  I went back out for another lap up to the top of the ridge and back, and called it a day at 3 miles. Live to run another day.  On the plus side, it's supposed to be 20 degrees warmer tomorrow!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yes, Twocat--14 miles on the treadmill will kill you....12, tonight on mine, almost killed me.  By the way...it's my heel...and, thanks, for not asking.

You'll be fine, Holly...I think...yeah, I'm sure you will...well...I guess I can't be 100% certain...but...yeah...you should be okay...I hope...good luck.

Like I said, I did 12 miles on the treadmill, tonight...12 very painful miles...don't ask.  1:28:27 of torture.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice grandkids: housewrming, jlynne.

recover in the winter for some springtimes runs dg.

Though around 30 degrees int he morning at 5;30 am when I took the ten minute train ride (and associated 265 stairs) to Osaka Castle for ten minutes of one of the many Osaka versions of the nationwide daily "radio taisou (exercise)* groups that goes through the same routine of stretching, jumping and bending from Hokkaido to Okinawa that:s been on the radio and television for more than 60 years, if not more, now.

Wandered transfixed throught the hundreds of adjacent blooming plum trees afterwards with locals hand feeding birds they`ve given individual names and even a cat up one of the trees.  I guess I now know why.

ps twocat - no particular reason but do you have a cat?

. . . neighbors in Japan

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

7 miles as I watched the moon come over Omak Mountain.

I am so impressed on  how the cold, winter impacted friends are still running the miles they need to do to stay fit. My up-most admiration.

Spring will come soon!

Cheers

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard