Masters Running

Donahue Bar & Grill Turkey Trot RR (Read 243 times)

coastwalker

I decided last night to head down to Watertown, MA this morning for this turkey trot. I've done the Feaster Five for the past 3 years, but with 2,000+ people, it is just too large to be fun. Donahue's had around 200 finishers last year, so it looked to be a nice, small, local fund-raiser of a race. I left home a bit after 6, and got to Donahue's by about 7:30. I registered, got my shirt and bib, and hung out for a while. At about 8, I went out to loosen up. I went down some local streets, and got lost on the way back. Was I going to miss the start for having been lost?? Scary, stupid, and incredibly funny, all at the same time! But I asked for directions back to Donahue's, and got back in plenty of time for the 8:30 start. At 8:30, they announced that the start would be delayed by 15 minutes, due to a large turnout, and the need to get everybody checked in/registered. The only problem was that it was cool, so we all had to keep moving to stay warm and loose. The race finally started at closer to 8:50. Someone yelled "GO!" and we were off. It took me 16 seconds to reach the start line, and then it was pretty congested for the first 1/2 mile or so. There were a lot more than 200 people out there! It was frustrating to have to deal with all the racer traffic at the start - I chose this smaller race to avoid that! So it goes... After a few turns, we hit a long straight, and things opened up. I passed a few runners, and kept targeting more runners in front of me. I caught some fairly quickly, caught others after gaining on them by inches at a time, and had some pull away from me and not allow me the pleasure of passing them at all (the nerve!). There were no mile markers, so no splits. I was just going on feel, and it felt good for the most part. Every once in a while I'd find my mind wandering, and had to refocus on aggressive arm swings, quick turnover, and keeping good spring in my step. There was a longish uphill somewhere in the 2-mile range, followed by a long and gentle downhill to the final turn and the finish. One woman who I had spent a lot of time catching and passing sprinted by me again just before the finish - I knew someone would do that, and it was her day! My official time was 33:18 (10:48 pace), and my watch time (started when I crossed the start line) was 33:02 (10:38 pace). I was 346 out of 455 finishers. I wished I had had other walkers to compete against, but it wasn't to be today. Strangely, there was a "Competitive Walker "check box on the entry form, but not even a walker breakout in the official results. So why the check box? I'm not complaining, just curious... The race was followed by a breakfast buffet with scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon and coffee (or bloody mary's - the bar was open). They brought out the prizes, which ranged from pies and cakes from a local bakery to cases of beer (from the bar, of course). The award ceremony was delayed, so I didn't wait. All in all, it was a nice race with a good neighborhood-like feel. It might be fun to go back again next year. Meanwhile, I've got some cooking to do! Happy Thanksgiving! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Renee the dog

Coast, I'd wonder about that too since there was a box! Confused Love the post race spread and prizes! Thanks for writing your report on such a busy day!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

TammyinGP

That's quite the food and drink spread Jay. Sounds like it was a good race and a big turnout! Well done on your time too Jay! I bet your turkey day meal felt a little more satisfying knowing you'd already gotten in a good run!

Tammy

Nice race, Jay. I'd like to go to a race where they had food like that at the end. Congrats on your speedy time. TomS
            sounds like a fun race!! my dh grew up in Watertown - wonder if a lot of locals were there. oh - and the Feaster Five topped 8,000 runners this yea r-- unbelievable!! it was at 5800 when i volunteered at number pickup monday so that's a lot of last minute registrations!!

denise

DickyG

Jay... For some odd reason, it took me a few days to get around to responding. Your fast times continue to impress..I'm only sorry that your efforts weren't recognized by a separate racewalker division, especially after there was a box to check. You earned a lot of credit by beating about 100 runners..the only bad part of the day is that apparently there wasn't enough food...eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, coffee, bloody mary's...man, you'd at least think they would have thrown in a couple pizzas! Great effort, as usual. DickyG
                Gosh, you can move. I am totally impressed after my Sunday experience. Great report. There used to be some wonderful neighborhood Armenian restaurants in Watertown years ago. I used to work at Fernald, on the Belmont Watertown line and remember my forays into WT. Hope the spread inspired your cooking! grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles
                Henrun

Jay, once again you turned in an admirable time. Too bad they didn't acknowledge the race walkers. We spend a good amount of time in Watertown and know it well. We can relate to elbowing one's way at the start. We ran Manchester Ct. on the way down to Brooklyn for our family feast. We had 12000+ to contend with and wove for 2-3 miles (out of 4.75) and there was no food at the end.

#artbydmcbride

Good job Coastwalker, it makes me want to be in a race with you sometime, even though you will be so far ahead. Smile

Runners run