Masters Running

40s On the Run - Living Life to Its Fullest (Wk. of 05/04/08) (Read 387 times)

flatland mountaineer

4.01 miles this morn, 42 deg, mud. I was weakest on the big hill Saturday so took my hill (more like a molehill) route this morning, 1.5 mile out and back warmup then up over the hill, Johnathan's 3-2-1 rea pole speedwork, recover, another set 321 and back over the hill and recover on the downhill and cruise to the yard. It seemed hard. I am making this my hardest week before BB then lighten up. Rained out about 4pm yest, moved support equipment home, sat down in my chair at 5pm and woke an hour later. This sporadic planting season is getting hard on an old man. We might get back in later today then more showers forecast tonight. Not getting alot of rain just enough to make last summers wheat stubble that I am no-till planting into tough. Makes for big straw piles when you plug up and resulting cardio, unplugging and spreading the piles back out by hand. Bob good to see ya stop in more often. Lynda said BTY had logged runs this week, prob busy with the fam. Cindy I have noticed that on my long runs also, have to make myself slow up......suppose we're getting faster??? All the cool people from my town doing BB are meeting up in the stadium, just trying to figure out if we belong in that group. Wink Wink Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Cindy I have noticed that on my long runs also, have to make myself slow up......suppose we're getting faster???........ Well, we know YOU are!! Wink All the cool people from my town doing BB are meeting up in the stadium, just trying to figure out if we belong in that group. Wink Wink Smile
      Ah...YEAH! You should be in charge of the "cool people!" Big grin I'm going to try to hook up w/several folks - have a few from the Denver RA thread & 30 or so from the Irish Snug Runners....I may be running in that shirt as it will make it easier for us to find each other....DH & I are in the HA wave (didn't sign up w/an "official" time so we're just in the "general runners" population) fought my way through 5.14 miles this am....mostly walking w/some (very little) light jogging thrown in there....wow, I thought I'd be better by now Shocked oh wait, I am better....stairs don't scare me today Tongue
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Cindy - Keep moving, babe. It'll get easier, but you definitely need to keep moving. Had 10 min left in my 1.5 run this a.m. when a truck pulled up next to me. I'm thinking, "Are you gonna turn or what?" I finally looked over and it was the hub. Confused He left town yesterday after work some "alone time" and wasn't suppose to be back until Monday. He never made if further than 20 miles yesterday, spent the night in Ferndale (after spending the eveningin the bar), and decided to come back home this a.m. Didn't want to spend the $$. So now my nice 4 days alone that I was so lookiing forward to are blown all to he!!. Evil grin (((sigh))) My run went really well, though. I didn't look to see how far I went, but I'm guessing about 9 miles. I tell ya what, though, each time I have to run that long on the road I gain a new appreciation for you guys who do long runs on the road all the time. I hate it. It just works my legs and back and is soooo booooooring. Although I did have a couple of really good podcasts to listen to. Well, tomorrow's our last long run (3.5 hours) before our 50k on the 25th. We start tapering about mid-week next week, which is extremely helpful to me since I have to leave for conference on Wednesday. Hooked myself up to the HR monitor last night. Within a couple of minutes of laying down it showed HRs in the mid 40s. I laid really still for about 10 minutes and it kept a steady 45 the whole time. Coach Bill wants me to go ahead and wear it all night to ensure an accurate reading. If it stays that low, he says it a sign of good cardiovascular fitness and genetics. Thanks, Dad and Mom! Have a good weekend, everyone!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! Congrats on the race results and new grandson! Life is busy with the boys and their sports, work, volunteer work and I'm getting ready for another marathon on June 1. This one is all trail so my body will be much happier at the end. Last year's time was 5:05-I'm hoping to beat it! Looks like everyone else is busy too. On a fun note-last week I got my first modeling job ever! I was a sock model for Burton the snowboard company. Hopefully, it will be my leg showing off next seasons snowboard socks. I answered an email that was sent at work looking for college students to model. I thought I was in way better shape at 40 then a lot of the college girls there and applied plus the fact that I ski!! Have a good weekend-and Happy Mother's Day to the moms in the group! Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Good morning folks....awww, I've got some quiet time this a.m. Slept horrible, that is why I am up so early. Got up at 5 a.m. due to hub snoring AND he's been sick with the crud for 3 days so his breathing/snoring is extremely aggravating but....I know he can't help it cause he's sick so.... Both girls stayed out last night so it's just me and the dog up! Kelly-A mom, a coach, a ski instructor and a model. Woot, woot! Good luck with your marathon! Leslie-Enjoy your new HR monitor. Did you get a new garmin or is the monitor a seperate gadget? Kudos to you for all your great runs and PT appts that you've been doing. You are going to do great at your 50k. Can you imagine what you were doing 2 years ago. Just getting started with this whole running thing. You've come a long ways. You should be proud! Carol-Hope you and the hub shake that crud you have. Like I mentioned above, Kenny's had it for 3 days now and I hope I don't get it. When and where are you going for vacation? Get well soon....not running for a week is O.K. ya gotta get well first. Cindy-How's them legs comin' along? Easy does it. One day at a time. Sounds like your still getting in the runs just nice and easy. You've got a busy schedule coming up! Good luck with all your training! Jim-Way to go putting in some nice runs and hills thru the mud and in the cold. You da man...I mean da farmer! BB is coming up. You'll do great. Have fun! Joe-How's Joe doing? Hope you recovered well from your half! Is the weather warming up in your neck of the woods yet? I would think so. Arla-Great job on your past weeks of running. Very consistent and steady runs. What grades do you teach Biology to? Is it like 10th and 11th? School gets out in 3 weeks here. My kids are stoked! You ran 5 miles in 85 degrees? Now that's tough. Bob-Please pop in more often. We love hearing from you. How is Amy doing? O.K. It's suppose to hit 90 today so I need to go get out there and put a few miles in. Will check in later..... Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
              At 6:30 this morning as I was leaving the house to go run the temp was at 71 degrees BUT the humidity was at 94%. It was extremely hard to get my lungs working right. The temp was nice but that humidity was horrible. Anyway....got a semi-cruddy run in at the park. It is now 10:00 a.m. and the temp is now at 84 degrees and the humidity has dropped to 61%. I bought a new bathing suit yesterday and I think today might be a good day to put it on and go wash my filthy car. Ya, I'll probably get all the neighbors talkin'! My Kelsey is taking me to lunch today because she has to work all day tomorrow on Mothers Day! My Danielle has her PROM tonight so she's got a busy day ahead with nails, hair and all that stuff! Will take lots of pics and share a couple with you guys! Speaking of pics....Would love to see some of Cindy's new g-baby. Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Hey Jewels!! I hope you don't catch hub's crud either!! & I Hope you had a nice run this am Smile Whole body is feeling MUCH better....still not feeling 'strong', but better!....so not planning a real long run for a few more days...actually, I doubt I'll have any run time next day or two....jam packed schedule, including off to see the new Grandson! Smile Smile graduation activities, meeting w/TNT coaches & stuff..... Have an awesome weekend everybody!! Cindy
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

We had 1.5" rain, hail, and tornados in the area last nite. Lynda and I went to town for our runs, hers a 5.5mi LR(woohoo longest to date) and mine a 10k ish pace 2.15 mi. Some overturned trees in town, a center pivot irrigation system tipped not too far from our house. I think only minor damage on some of our wheat. Kelly you are one busy mom, way to stay active. Joe hoping you are having some nice easy recovery miles!! Jewels way too tough it out in the humidity. Leslie 45 rhr thats really good. Its apparent you have alot of "heart"! Cindy zap an email to Lynda's yahoo mail when we get closer to BB so we could kinda see what everyone's schedules are if u guys want to meet up for a beer or a coke postrace etc. r2farm@yahoo.com wall cloud and associated low level scud

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Wow! That's quite a pic, Jim. First you guys are inundated with snow, snow, snow, and now tornado weather? I'll take our occasional earthquakes any day. Cindy - We expect pics of that grandbaby. Jewels - 94% humidity?? Yuck! We did 3.5 hours of trails today. For some reason, it seemed like we did a lot more climbing. However, I'm hoping all that climbing comes into play with a relative easy rolling hill trail in two weeks. Afterward, went over to Coach Bill's place and checked out the mountain bike and trainer. Sold! He also helped me with HR monitoring training, which I will delve more into later. Have a good weekend!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - sounds like you're starting to get your legs back - it takes a while, doesn't it! Leslie - 45 RHR! Wow! Sounds like the HR of someone who's ready to tackle that 50K! r2 - scary pic, glad you dodged the tornado. Jewels - 71F and sticky sounds just awful, but getting into a swimsuit to wash the car sounds pretty fun! Big grin Kelly - you show those younguns what in shape looks like! We wanna see the ad copy! I teach biology at the community college - and next week is finals week! Woot! Unfortunately, I volunteered to team teach an 8 week summer class Dead What was I thinking? Off to LA to pick up my mom, she's staying for a week so I probably won't be popping in too much. Have a great mother's day all you who are moms (even if it's just being mom to a kitty!) Arla

Ex runner