Masters Running

Over 50 mile time (Read 47 times)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

How does your over 50  mile time compare to your best mile time.

This year I would like to run more and get my mile time down.

When i was 20 my mile was about 5 :30 at 150 pounds.

What would be a realistic goal now at 52 and at 180-190 pounds

I plan on getting to 30-40 miles by the summer and losing 25 pounds by then.

Right now  Iam at about a 10:30  minute mile

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - many of us here didn't even start running until later in life, but maybe some of the lifelong runners will be able to chime in.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Tom--when I was in high school, I believe I ran the mile during gym class in 4:41.  I know I was able to get just under 5 minutes for many years.  My 1st 1 mile race after I turned 50 was 5:15 in 2009.  The same race in 2011 was 5:25 and in 2012 it was 5:29.  BUT--I don't train for the mile.  I train for the marathon and all the other races are just whatever I can do.  I've thought, many times, that it would be fun to really work at getting my mile time back down to 5, but--it reallyhurts.  And the older I get, the less I like to hurt.

So...I think, if you concentrate on the mile distance...and train specifically for the mile...you can get it back down to a respectable time.  But, yeah--losing some weight will definitely help.

Good luck!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

How does your over 50  mile time compare to your best mile time.

Unfortunately, the only one I’ve ever done over 50 miles was 100K at 14:57m/m..

The last mile I remember was in 1982 at just under 6 m/m.

I've kept track of marathon times over the years but wish I had the same for the mile too. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Mike those are some fast times.

I am sure losing 25-30 pounds will help

...I ran a 4:52 in 1969.............and got my fiirst knee injury  Smile

did a 7:30 in my middle 50's

and that was about topped out for me

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I read the title as "over 50 mile" time, rather than "over 50" mile time and said, "well I don't have anything to offer on THAT subject.

I know that I was under 6 minute miles when I was on the freshman crew team 35 years ago.  I think the fastest time that I've had since starting up again after 50 was probably low to mid 7's during a 5K.  Like Mike said, I certainly don't train for a mile (and run no where nearly as fast as he does, anyway).  But you should be able to lower your mile dramaticly if you were at a 20 minute 5K AND have 25lbs to loose.

Good luck

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I think i will try to get my mile time this summer.

In the fall i want to train for 25k trail race next Jan.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Personally, I think the first step in tackling your goal is to stop calling yourself "old, ugly and slow". That sort of negativity never inspired anyone to greatness. Jus' sayin' Wink

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Personally, I think the first step in tackling your goal is to stop calling yourself "old, ugly and slow". That sort of negativity never inspired anyone to greatness. Jus' sayin' Wink

Thanks OM, me too, especially as It reminds me of someone else I have to see in the mirror everyday. yuk

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks OM, me too, especially when It reminds me of someone else I have to see in the mirror everyday. yuk

Walk-Jogger

I didn't start running until I was 28, and ran my best mile time at an all-comer's meet at the age of 32 - 5:08, without training for the mile, just random running to get in shape for the annual big 12k race, Bloomsday. My weight was probably around 136 back then. I'm 133 lbs today, 25 years later, and raced a mile a few weeks ago in 5:28, at the age of 57. I haven't done any mile-specific training, but I do tend to run a lot of intervals all winter as I train almost exclusively on an indoor track due to weather. I should be able to run  a slightly faster mile by this summer, if I can stay uninjured and the late spring allergies aren't too bad on my breathing.

MTA: I meant to mention that in those 25 years in between my two 1-mile race times my weight had climbed (slowly) by over 40 lbs to 171+, which was a lot on my 5'7" frame.

Retired &  Loving It

King of PhotoShop

I'll chime in on the "old, ugly and slow" as being your first big fix.  As Henry Ford said, 'You believe you can, or you believe you can't. Either way, you're right."  Fix that first and then I'll tell you about your 6 minute mile time this fall. Spareribs

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

i don't think i am old.

I know I can get faster

But I don't mind being ugly I have been married

almost 25 years and my  wife doesn't care.