Masters Running

Eugene 2008 - A Race Report, many Pictures, and "What the heck happened to Byll?" (Read 545 times)

TammyinGP

Byll, you are overanalyzing this . . . we all know the reason your HR got too high and you didn't perform as well as you wanted was all the PNW wimmin you were surrounded by. Roll eyes

Tammy

It was all you Tammy. Wink Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tammy - what's the most goddesses billy boy's ever been around at one time before this anyway? Uhmm, . . . maybe if what he did's bonking, I must do it all the time but too many distractions to know it. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dtoce is probably not talking to me anymore because I didn't follow his suggestions - and I had specifically asked him about this very thing! Bill
          you know I still love ya' Bill! Besides, you've learned a lot and a solid training cycle has been accomplished. You learned that you still have to execute the race and that takes some practice too. I have confidence that you'll do better in the future. Trust yourself. You are very smart when you are on your own and not following a 'pacer'... Evil grin

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Bill.. great report and post analysis. I'm glad you had a great time there even with your finish time dissapointment. BQ's are the trickiest things because all the planets have to align. They will. Keep trying. I personally enjoy the training more than the race so an opportunity to enter another training cycle is a welcome endeavor. Remember you have a terrific base to build from. Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Bill, Reading your analysis, I still don't really understand what went wrong for you exactly. Your training was excellent, you were rested, ready, hydrated, fueled, but, like Soundrunner told me after Boston, so many factors completely out of your control can go wrong on race day, some of them you don't even know what they are. Some days, you just don't have it, that mysterious elusive IT, that makes the difference between a great run and a not-great run. My biggest disappointment at Boston was not that I tired myself out sightseeing with DH the day before, or that I didn't run enough MP miles in training, but that, when I gave up my time goal, I gave up completely, and I didn't even try to come close. That's what I felt bad about later - giving up. I continue to believe that you have a major BQ in you, if only you get out there on a day when it all comes together right. You have become a much faster runner than me, and if I could do it, so can you. Don't give up yet, speedy guy, you have it in you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

CassadAAmius

Byll, I've read your report several times and still can't figure out what went wrong. Your early pace was a little quick, but not reckless. Sure, those wimmin have their charms, but others have met them and survived. I am still puzzled. I've followed your running for a long time and am one of your biggest fans, so I mean it in the nicest possible way when I ask -- do you need a break from the marathon? You've been going from one 18-week schedule to another for the past couple years, which is something I at least find very mentally taxing. Think about your DNF in the half-marathon earlier this spring, and your off-day at Eugene as possible warning signs of mental fatigue. You might fare better in your next marathon if you step back for a season, use your existing fitness to train for some 5ks or a trail race, and stop worrying about dotting every i and crossing every t in some Pfitz schedule. This might recharge your mental batteries and give you the freshness you need to take your marathon to the next level.
                  Bill, I was sure I had replied but obviously I hallucinated, so apologies. Great pictures and race report. You did great and although I know you wanted a faster marathon. it's right around the corner. Your training and effort have been great, marathons are funny..the day you think you will have a great one, it turns out to be bad, when you think you will have a bad one it's great. So keep at it. It's coming Tall

Recent Best times: None recently