Masters Running

Weekly Newbies, All welcome. Join us here. Its a lot of fun. (Read 425 times)

dg.

Laurie.. years.. i'll have to think about that. finish? ... um, she's 31. Roll eyes i'm glad it went well for you before. 2 things i primarily wanted from it.. that they'd maintain a love of learning, instead of just learning 'for the test.' also that they could be self-determining... you see so many that get out of high school or college & don't have any idea what to do with themselves, they're so used to someone else deciding. mixed reviews. i'd say more, but am running very late. Not sure i'd do it over. Not sure I wouldn't. I think it's great you're willing to take this on for her. Sitting is the worst, isn't it! I cut a hole out of a pillow (to sit on) last week at work. LInda, you mean between that bone & your ankle? could it be the extensor digitorum longus? not finding much online about it... it may go by different names. but it is a dorsiflexor & a toe extensor, & runs up your leg. (outside, front). hope you can get in to see someone soon. http://www.podiatrynetwork.com/r_tendonitis.cfm 9 miles yesterday. wasn't too bad. 34F!!!! sunny. 16-18 mph winds but unless it was head on it was ok. everything was shiny. gotta go. hi to everybody else.
    Rindaroo

Laurie - actually DS only has one subject he doesn't see the point in... Social Studies. Even the subjects he enjoys, he tends to just not want to do the work. He just would never have the discipline to do the work, unless I was there standing over him... Debbie - I'm running late, will respond later.
        Linda, Because the work they give school kids is 'busy' work. Boring stuff like worksheets, tests, book reports. Nothing of interest. If he had his choice of how to learn then he would learn. We all learn differently, but studies have proved that memorizing facts (dates, people) and then regurgitating them for a test is the worst way. Deb, you just brought up 2 more good reasons to home school. No runs for me. But I bought a complete set of xc ski gear (used for $50) and plan on trying it today. Hopefully the leg will like it better than running. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Called the doctor for a referral to a podiatrist today... so now just have to wait for the podiatrist's office to call. Laurie - ahh its just not that simple with my son. He is learning in school - a lot! His teachers comments are things like enthusiastic learner.... its just the homework/projects he doesn't want to do. He has an amazing science teacher, who was a marine biologist before having kids..... they get to shoot off rockets for physics & all kinds of other fun stuff..... And Science is his favorite subject. Really, I think if he can accept responsibility for his behavior/org skills in the current school setting he will be better off in his adult life... he is making progress. For example, he is working his rear off in Algebra right now for the right to stay in the class. Actually, the HS in my town is rated in the top 3% nationally too. Anyway, this is our situation - not trying to tell anyone else wht to do, just know with my sitch this is the right thing to do.
            Linda, what HS is it and where do you live? I am moving out there. My school system is pathetic. I am pretty set on homeschooling. Sent the paper work in yesterday. Been researching curriculum for a week now. Just to show an example of how pathetic her school is...she told me English is boring. She is not learning anything new and cruising by without having to work. I called the school and asked for an advance class for her or a foreign language but they said she cant go into a foreign language in 8th grade and there are no advance english classes so she will just have to be happy with an easy A for the rest of the year. Then I asked for extra and challenging work for her and it never happened. To me that is pathetic. Glad youre making progress on your foot. Good news. I can ski. I felt great. It was beautiful out there and my leg felt fine! Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

I live in Southern Oregon, the high school is Ashland High School. Its a small town about 25.000 with dwindling enrollment - lots of retirees & college students (Yes we have a 4 year college here too). In the warm months, we are a tourism town - due to the Shakespeare Festival which goes on 8 or 9 months out of the year. My son is in 8th grade, & has had Spanish both in 7th & 8th grade. Spanish is actually not part of the state curriculum, but is in the Ashland school district (in middle school). Supposedly they teach the equivalent of the first year of Spanish in High School over the two years (7th & 8th). I got a call from my doctor tonight, she thinks I need an MRI of my foot - thinks it might possibly be a stress fracture. So, I'll call her back tomorrow, and tell her to go forward with the MRI referral. Ugh more money out of my pocket... but its probably what needs to happen. I'm pretty sure the ligament has been stretching & that's why my ankle is so unstable.. but the question is why?So, an MRI should tell us what's happening in there....