Masters Running

Mon Post Boston Daily 4/14 (Read 573 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

BTB... the pretty map shows model for 8 am April 21st. If you look at the area where Boston is you see colors which correspond to the zone 4-8 deg C on the legend bar. So 8 am temps would be in the low 40's. These maps only look at 8 am or 8 pm EST (12Z or 0Z). Point is there is a fairly cool air mass predicted as long as it holds. Alot of warm stuff to the south and west which we hope does not bubble up. The tiny arrows are wind vectors and the smaller, the less wind so this predicts very light wind. Where is Thunderbolter when we need him?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I feel I am ready to cross the finish line of 26.2, but not with any semblence of speed. I'm tired, tired, tired. I've lost another two pounds as well, unintentionally. I think I'd rather have them back in the form of muscle. I am hoping my taper will get rid of this cold that is hanging on, and do all the other magical things you wise folks say it will. No double digits runs this week until Sunday, what a luxury! (I had 4 double digit runs last week. No wonder I'm tired!) Erika, most impressive run you had there. And the speed too....incredible. The weather at Boston will be absolutely perfect and you will wonder why you wasted so much nervous energy worrying about it!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke, What you are feeling (tired) is normal. That's what the Taper is for. Have faith! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good running or resting or tapering everyone! jules, I agree with you about Buster Martin. He doesn't LOOK 101. I wonder how he did in the London Marathon? JJJ, I loved your blog about your weekend. Those pictures are wonderful (it's like taking a mini vacation when I see those places). It is so wild and empty out there....so who took your picture Smile? Thnk you also for the lovely poem about The Ramp (on your other blog). I once wanted to write a haiku about spam, but apparently thousands of spam haiku already exist. btb, that is one tough dirty mouth girl! About the dude with the beer at 8:30am Saturday, it was bottled beer (Dos Equis) so I could see it! He was also bragging how he got thrown out of a bar on Friday night. Amazing what young people talk about. If we were 20 something again we'd be running our young bodies up some mountain like JJJ, not drinking it to death, eh? I am going out for a run after work but just wanted to say HELLO to everyone!

King of PhotoShop

Hang in there Roy; you'll be okay. Same with you Enke. Your training has been good, and you deserve to be a bit tired. Get lots of sleep now. Glad to see Perch and Bill taking a day off. They were making me tired just reading about them. I see it's a day off for many of you and you all earned it from what I read here. What a tough group. La Vita, strong two openers with voids are tough hands to bid, and if you escaped in a makeable game you did well. Disasters can happen with hands like that; don't second-guess yourself. As I continue my recovery plan, I did a very slow 4-miler following yesterday's brisk six. It seems funny to me to put up such low numbers but as I watch people recover from injuries the one thing I notice time after time is that the aerobic fitness level grows faster than the physical fitness level. It's easy to get hurt again if you do too much. I felt good running very slowly today. It took me 41 minutes to do the four miles. Then stretch, balancing exercises and ice. Feel very good now. Spareribs
            evanflein

Roy's thread title had me looking for the daily again... but I guess this is it! Perch, notice the nice patch of cool color over Alaska? Yeah, this has been a sucky April and it looks like it's going to stay that way. 4" of wet snow on my car this morning... felt like I was plowing the road with my bumper! This is ridiculous, we have a heavy snow advisory thru 6 pm today, with a total of up to 7" predicted. Gonna have to go rough up that stoopid groundhog. Amazing that yesterday's run was nice if not a bit breezy, but mostly on dry bikepaths. They're in wretched shape today, and everything will be a total mess when this stuff melts. I think the highway department put away all the plows so has to go wake them up again! Thanks, Enke, it was fun. And you'll feel so much better in a few days, you'll be itchin' to get out there to run when you shouldn't! Holly, poor Dexter! My cubby neighbor has schnauzers, and they always look funny right after a clipping. I have a husky mix. She barely gets brushed. Rest day for me, or some light cross training later, who knows. I'm so behind on housework, filing, ironing, etc, I really should plan on doing absolutely nothing but that tonight (and tomorrow... and the next day...). Whatever I do this week will probably be on the treadmill. I am so NOT running outside in that crap.
                I just had lunch and then read btb's mouthpiece story . . Tongue

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

GreenMan

....I once wanted to write a haiku about spam, but apparently thousands of spam haiku already exist. ...
                  Dromi, I wouldn't let that stop me. Consider the nuances of time that have transpired since the others were written. Haiku is best if fresh to the moment And Spam Haiku doubly so. Give Godzilla a pen, paper, and a can of Spam to let the words flow freely. IMHO jjj Big grin I use a tripod or a rock.
                  Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                    I love the field hockey/mouthpiece story! I think I have real empathy for Dexter Cry ---although one of my colleagues said I look like a chic corporate executive. Off to the gym--I wonder if they'll try and make me use the boys' locker room Shocked Confused grins, A
                    Masters 2000 miles
                    PJH

5.7 easy miles @ 10:00 mpm pace. Have a great day everyone! PJ
                        I love the field hockey/mouthpiece story! I think I have real empathy for Dexter Cry ---although one of my colleagues said I look like a chic corporate executive. Off to the gym--I wonder if they'll try and make me use the boys' locker room Shocked Confused grins, A
                        aames, The Chemist at Best Cuts way over-processed my color last week. Now I want to cut off all of my hair. Are you having coiffure remorse? If so, talk me off this ledge... p.s. Does anyone else think of Stepford when reading about the polygamy colony in Texas?
                        LaVita
                          Back from the gym, whre I realized it was lacrosse, not field hockey--am I a little distracted here??! LaVita (RCG)--you know, it grows back, and faster in spring and summer Big grin! Today is a pain b/c everyone needs to tell me: "You cut your hair!" It's kind of like when you are introduced to someone and a friend slips in that you run distances and the person says "I couldn't run around the block!" What do you say back, you know? It was very nice to go for a run yesterday and not have to mess with hair when I got home, and same for going to work this morning. As one of the remaining 84 women, if there are that many of us, who does not have pierced ears, it is still more fun to pick out which earrings to wear now that they show (I have several pairs of my mom's old clip-ons, and some others I've snagged at second hand shops). I think you would look super-you have such pretty eyes and lovely features, a very short hair cut would set them off beautifully. Try it, and besides, it does feel good to get rid of the old hair--mine felt dry after months of dry winter heat. BTW, I did consult with the DH before I did the deed, just to be sure he was on board and he was--hope the RS goes along. (Many men seem to have a sort Neanderthal gene that requires longer hair on "their" wymyn, I have observed.) KEep us posted! grins, A
                          Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

HOT! Its hot here! Mad from tapering Boston runners get ready for a long foot race.

Runners run

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

BTW, I did consult with the DH before I did the deed, just to be sure he was on board and he was--hope the RS goes along. (Many men seem to have a sort Neanderthal gene that requires longer hair on "their" wymyn, I have observed.)
                              Ah yes, that sums up my DH. Every time I hint of cutting off my hair he goes into a cold sweat! I have a hair appointment this Wednesday - now I'm getting the urge again with all this hair cut talk!! I think we need photo's . . . . . ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, none of the smiley icons have hair. Is this a conspiracy? Or maybe they just got it cut off recently? JJJ, loved the pictures. I can't wait till the snow melts enough on our mountain trails to get out there. Holly, speaking of pictures, do you have any of your new house you could post or link to? Munch, get well soon, and happy anniversary. Loved the pics of your cute grandkids! Btb, what was that girl thinking, putting a muddy mouthpiece back in her mouth! Shocked Yuck! Erika, I hear ya about NOT running in that stuff anymore. We're having a heat wave in CO (70 in town, 60 in the mountains). All the snow is gone in the flatlands, but at home the several feet we've had over the last week will turn to slush and mud, then at night it all turns into lovely frozen ruts and sheet ice. I guess I'll be running in town for a while. I went out for a 5.6 mile trail run at lunchtime. The first half felt great, but then the heat started to get to me, and I took a couple of walk breaks on the way back. It was in the low 70s, but at least there was a bit of a breeze. It was beautiful out there, though. The divide was shining white with the recent fresh snow, and the sky was deep Colorado blue.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.