Masters Running

FFFrigid FFFriday, 2.13.15 (Read 35 times)

evanflein

You folks on the East Coast have really been hit hard this year. When Erika is feeling bad for you, you know it's been a tough winter!

Ha! Yes, indeed! Although I have to admit, you guys are getting what we just sent South (you're welcome!). We keep getting promised days in the 20's but so far we're seeing mostly single digit stuff. Although, by Sunday we really should see 20 and maybe even low 30's early next week! Just as long as it doesn't get warmer than 30, we're good. Don't need any early thaw crap until it's for reals.

I sometimes get up in the middle of the night and get a big towel to lie on. Bleh.

Dave, you definitely should see if the Starbucks manager would give you a break on the gift cards. How many volunteers are we talking about here? Some of those races can have quite the crew.

Colder today, but really pretty out with the bright sunshine and our snow is still relatively fresh so it all looks clean. I want to run a bit after work but will try to keep it short and easy. Just been too sluggish at work today (too much sitting!) to skip a run. We are going to a hockey game tonight too.

I am not suffering from SAD.  I am suffering from F-R-O-Z-E-N!  Here let me spell it out for you F R O Z E N!!!  (No commentary from the Alaska gallery.)

As to Pandora selling their listener preferences here are the options: (1) let companies sell information about you or (2) pay more.  Personally, I am happy to pay less.  I can delete email at low cost.  But this is clearly a personal preference.  Companies would be wise (and I think profitable) to offer option (2) for a fee.  Although, if you really object to companies selling information about you that they have just remember you have to drop Google, Bing and pretty much every search engine you can think of. I figure selling what interactions I have on the web is just part of life.  So long as they do not sell my home or cell phone number I do not really care.  However, sell my phone number and it is all over! 

I am hoping to run 14 tomorrow after it warms up a bit.  Good thing my schedule has a medium long run on Saturday because on Sunday the deep freeze settles back in.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mustang sally

Bad faerie

And yes, tonight will be my third clean pillow case this week.  Ick!  I'm just glad it's not the whole body thing like it used to be.

I appear to be coming out the other side of a few years of night sweats...

I discovered by accident what should probably have been obvious:  sleeping in cotton shirts and sweating made me all clammy and cold and miserable.  Sleeping in a wicking tech shirt, on the other hand, instantly fixed it all.  Never once woke myself up when wearing tech.

Have had a difficult work day tempered by a wonderful workout day.  For the first time in ages, I managed a double (ran 5k, rode an hour) and felt happy and strong about it.  This was good enough to help the difficult work bits stay in perspective.

Best wishes to all facing both cold and snow: we're only looking at cold here in Michigan.  Be careful, please.

I love popping in to see what's going on with everyone. I am so glad that I don't live in Boston with all the snow they keep getting. At least here out on the prairie we have places to dump it.

I am not suffering from SAD or FROZEN but Influenza A, yuck! MrStarr has it now too. Hopefully we are well enough to go to Sioux Falls tomorrow to celebrate our 39th anniversary. I bought tickets to a big band concert a few months ago. I had planned to wear my red dress but it is gonna be freezing out there so better be sensible. Plus, last time the theater was so cold I had to put my coat on in there.

Good running everyone!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Growing up as a skier a little southeast of erika-land, I never had SAD and, loving the snow and winters, never could figure it out when it came out as new maladay for non-skiers to complain about, . . . . until I moved to Seattle where it:s dark just like up there but it`s so much darker with no snow on the ground that I might have it too sometimes.  Fortunately for us Seattlites,there:s no RAD for rainy days..

It`s already Valentie`s Day over here and it won`t be happening to me but somehow the Japanese adopted Valentine`s Day in reverse with the women giving presents to their men, mainly in the form of chocolates available in thousands of tempting variations in the department, grocery, convenience, etc. stores and everywhere else,.  However, if their men are like me, though, they`ll get to eat them all.

With the whole weekend off, I`m heading back to my nemesis stairs leading up Kompira Mountain to several shirnes.  I tried to make the climb three times in three different traditional footwears last year but, being the day after one of the Joyful`s marathon, I only made it up once (in waraji straw sandals).  Now being all rested up from last weekend*s Hakone Pass fizzle, I don`t need any more proof of the effects of aging on running so will make every effort for the triple.  note - maybe the fact that I thought there were only 624 stairs but some internet accounts have more than a thousand had something to do with it.  we:ll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

I used to feel pretty small when I was in the locker room...

Yep...me, too.

evanflein

Our hockey team played #1 Minnesota State (Mankato) tonight and managed a tie of 1-1. Pretty cool, and an "edge of your seat" game at times. They play again tomorrow, but we're not going. That's our second hockey game of the season... we used to go almost every game. Just seems too "loud" now and after a long week, going out on Friday night doesn't hold the appeal it used to.

Ran 3.2 chilly  miles after work. The high was supposed to be about 11 or 12 degrees today. Hmph, never got there. Temp for my run was about 5° and it felt even colder.

Marathon Maniac #957

Although, if you really object to companies selling information about you that they have just remember you have to drop Google, Bing and pretty much every search engine you can think of.

I recently did a Google search for our firm's website from my work computer.  For the next several days I saw advertisements for our firm every time I looked at runningahead.com.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."