Masters Running

Let's help Stumpy run his first marathon! (Read 54 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Kevin is running his first marathon this Sunday at Bay of Fundy -- let's help him along by signing up to run virtual miles with him, and offering  advice or well-wishes!  (Or condolences!)  Wink

For my first marathon just over a year ago, I made a pace band (otherwise known as a curse band) of all the folks running virtual miles with me.  I actually looked at it every mile, and it was nice having the virtual company along the way!  Here's my pace band:

Here's a link to a map of the marathon route to help you pick your mile to run with Kevin:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/calais-me/bay-of-fundy-marathon-2013-route-174259934

I'd like to pick mile 16, which is out at the tip of the island where you turn around and head for the finish!

And as for advice and well-wishes, I offer the following:

1.  If you wear a Garmin, be sure to clear the history (or save just the last month) so the memory doesn't get full while you're racing!

2.  Nono suggested that I chant "beer" to help motivate me if I was feeling tired...   and that made me smile.

Good luck and have fun!

Mile

Virtual running partner

tetsujin

Cecil

tomwhite

Dave59

SteveP

Tramps

Marj

Henrun

CNYrunner

deez4boyz

Tag & Mariposai

Erika

dg

divechief

wildchild

Mike E

Ileneforward

OrangeMat

Tammy

Holly & Arla

enkephalin

coastwalker

Breger1

lamerunner

fatozzig

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

#artbydmcbride

I want mile 18.  It is a happy mile, you know you really have come a long way, (pre wall)  and you are soon going to be an amazing thing...a Marathoner!!

Runners run

Tramps

Mile 6....crossing borders!

(BTW, where the hell was I for Carolyn's 1st?)

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

mile 11?

Runners run

GOOD RACING STUMPY//////

...I'll take mile 3.............it was all I could run anyway//////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I'll take mile 24.  You will be tired and you will be ready for it to be over.  But you'll also know at 24 that theres only 2.2 to go and that "You're Going To Do It"!  A great feeling.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

mrrun

Marj 7 and Henry -8

this is as close as we can get to the miles we chose for wildchild's first and we know how successful she has been - (are ultras in your future)Big grin

marj

I'll take mile 10 - same mile as for Carolyn's because that is one of my favorite distances to run!!

Have a great race Kevin!!

One of my MVS running friends will be there as well -- if you see a young woman in a red MVS singlet her name is Elizabeth!!

denise

Mile 9 for me please!

Go Kevin----get after this---first 20 miles with your head and the last 6.2 with your heart.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

my pace for mile one will remind you to refrain from keeping up to all those other people so any premature enthusiasm doesn't cause you to  crash and burn later on, . . . and you can go running past all of them when they do. ps - don't forget to put your shoes back on for mile 2.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Mile 15 for me.  This was a low point in my first marathon.  You have run a LONG ways, and you still have a long way to go.  Ease off just a little if you need to.  You will soon be in single digit miles left, they will then start flying by like picket fences.  I would be honored if I can help carry you through 15.

Dave

Carolyn ran her first marathon JUST A YEAR AGO!  This blows my mind.  You have accomplished so much in just a year.

Stumpy, mile 22, this was my lowest, (barfy, leg cramps) but I knew that I could walk the rest of the way if I had to.  By mile 22, the marathon is in the bag, man!

Advice, don't forget to drink water or whatever and get some carbs early and often.  If you don't, you may not be able to get anything down later....without it coming back up.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I'll take Mile 26 plus the .2 and will be chanting, "Almost there!  You're can do it!  You're gonna be a marathoner!!!"  And then if you start to falter, I'll just give you a real hard shove and force you over the finish line. Wink

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Mile 5 as it looks like it's crossing a bridge. Double knot your laces.

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Mile 11 because "11" looks like two sticks and it goes straight so Dad won't get lost. I will tell you two things that will help. One of them is "DO NOT CHASE DEER". you will get hollered on and later you will want to lay down before the race is over. Then the other is to say "I Do Believe in Ice Cream" as many times as it takes to finish your run run run. Then make sure you get it

Sniffing Butts, Tag