Masters Running

Running days are over (for now) (Read 62 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hi running friends!!   I finally went to the podiatrist for my foot pain and heard things that I expected, such as bone spur on big toe, arthritis, etc. which is all fixable, somewhat, but what I didn't expect to hear is that there is damage to the tendon that holds the two little sesamoid bones under my right big toe.    These two bones are suppose to be right next to each other in the tendon and somewhere along the line I injured myself and one is higher than the other....I can feel it in the pad of my big toe.   She really does not want to do surgery at this point, that is kind of a last resort.   I have orhtotics on order and we hope that aleviates the pain so that I can at least walk longer distances in lieu of running.    She didn't totally rule out running, but there is no way I can do it now.     So, we take it a "step" at a time.

I wanted to stop by and wish everyone a very Mery Christmas and Happy New Year!      I have a feeling, I'll be back....at least I hope so!!

Thanks for checking in mary but sorry about the diagnosis.
    However, no particular reason, but don't worry about posting without running. 
    In those days, I’d never heard of anything like the sesamoid bones just seeming to float around in the metatarsals until I started running barefoot and became aware of what felt like a broken piece of bone or cartilage, torn-off tendon or something that was gradually coalescing until I could now feel it.  .
    However, lifting 150 pounds  (i wish) per step comes to over 3,500 tons for a marathon, to say nothing of withstanding even more force of impact on landings so take care of ‘em no matter how long it takes.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

I sure hope the orthotics help so you can get out there and walk with the dogs pain free.

Hi Mary!

Thanks for posting.  Never say never.......the body has a way of slowing adapting, without tons of input either from "professionals".  So I am Hopeful for you.  We would all love to hear about your dogs still, so keep posting.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Thanks for the update Mary! I, too, see your wonderful pics of the dogs, etc on FB and you know me, a dog lover as well, so enjoy those a lot. With time and patience, I have confidence you'll be back to running if that's what you want to do.  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Tammy

hopeful, I have missed your posts and wondered why.  I'm so sorry to hear about your foot problems.  I hope your treatment program will get you back to being able to exercise (run, walk, whatever) sooner rather than later.  Please keep posting and have a great Christmas.

TomS

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thank you all for the kind words of support and encouragment!    At least now I  know what the problem is and the doctor said I've been doing all the right things .... not running, wearing proper shoes, etc., but it won't go away on its own.  So in the meantime, I'm becoming the crazy dog lady and getting into the show ring for the first time.   My hope is to do agility this spring, so I have to find a way around the pain for that too.

It's all good....I have a positive attitude and you can bet that when we ever have another litter of puppies, the little cows will show up over here from time to time to make you all grin.

I'll pop in on the forum more often now, I've missed you all!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary - thanks for letting us know what is going on.  I see you on FB occasionally, but I rarely have time to do more than pop over there for quick peaks. We sure miss you here.  I hope it heals for you soon.  Foot pain is just no fun....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."