Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 4.11.14 (Read 38 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

When in May? I'll be back on May 16 and 17 for their trustee meetings. My runs are at 5 or 5:30 am when I am on the road for work and asking Skip to trek from CNY for a run that early seems too much, but maybe next time. Exciting times for you and your kiddo wiildchild

Karin, Cornell graduation is May 25th. I'll be there from the 22nd till the 30th.   I think Ithaca College graduation is the weekend you're there -  be prepared for Ithaca to be really crowded!  The two schools have to stagger major events since it's such a small town.

But even if I miss meeting you in May, I'm still planning on the VT50 in September - hope you are too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Karin, Cornell graduation is May 25th. I'll be there from the 22nd till the 30th.   I think Ithaca College graduation is the weekend you're there -  be prepared for Ithaca to be really crowded!  The two schools have to stagger major events since it's such a small town.

But even if I miss meeting you in May, I'm still planning on the VT50 in September - hope you are too!

Excellent news for VT50---registration opens on May 25! Indeed I know the small college town crowding drill quite well especially at Homecoming and Commencement time. Living in the Five College area here in Western Mass has prepared me well! I'll be running the Edinburgh half-marathon on May 25 and in fact flying to Scotland right after I get back from Ithaca in May. Enjoy and we'll meet up in Vermont instead!

Wow - lots of busy folks this Friday. Would like to comment on all of your wonderful activities but I leave that hard task to Jay (thank you, by the way)

Up early to serve breakfast at one of the homeless shelters. It always breaks my heart to see so many young people there. I was talking to one young guy this morning. Apparently he's aged out of foster care and has no relatives or friends to go to. He has a minimum wage job but can't afford rent, utilities etc.  The shelter closes at the end of April and it's still plenty cold here at night. Hope these poor souls find a place to go...

Had a 45 minute training session with my favorite personal torture trainer this morning, including two sets of 50 sit-ups holding a 10 pound weight on an incline bench. Boy, she comes up with some good stuff!

DH and I just finished 18 holes of golf. First time out this year   A little chilly but the course wasn't busy and I shot a 49-51 with just one really bad hole. Had to get a round in - they're predicting SNOW for Sunday night/Monday, probably a couple of inches.

Have a great weekend everyone, and good luck to all of our racers and those Boston weather worriers!

.......W0W jylnne//............I do 4-sets of 10 with a 10-lb wgt and expect to get A Medal for it..........GREAT AB work//////

===========

that said,

more

Doodley

with

less Squat

.................................good running guys..................

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

I also love how A tapers. And was thinking the same thing about her caffeine consumption. So glad you're back to posting and sharing with us, Aamos!

So much going on here and I'm so far behind I won't even try to catch up. That week in Memphis (well, including travel) was busy and time just flew by. I ran 13 on Sunday morning, but then no run Monday or Tuesday. Got in a good 7 mile tempo run on Wednesday afternoon and then 9.4 yesterday morning before packing up and heading home. The weather was good if not a bit windier than I like, and it was good to run in shorts and t-shirt! But I was really looking forward to some really good barbeque, and was disappointed in that respect. Went to some restaurants nearby, mainly on Beale Street, and for the most part the food was good but not great. Mostly everything was sticky.... Oh well. It was fun, and the conference was really good.

But I did have to laugh about tomwhite's description of the Peabody Hotel and coffee service. My sentiments, exactly.

Hi folks, I wish I could recap as well as Jay, Wild and others do. I think this is the greatest group of people.

Erika, glad you are back safe and sound. Sorry that the food was just good. We just had grilled steak for supper and a salad. I bought a flat iron steak that the butcher recommended. It was very, very good, I don't know why we have never had that before. I got 3 1/2 oz. and MrStarr got 5 oz.  I had veggies at my desk for lunch since I had that manicure scheduled.  Wonderful sunshine and warmth today and a gentle breeze. It seemed like a perfect day for a bike ride since I have an 8 mile run to do tomorrow.   I will have to help unload all the dock sections from the trailer so will get some weight-lifting in too.  I think I saw a loon on the lake today. They don't nest here, but sometimes pass through. It did that signature dice, but I was not close enough to see the markings. Maybe we will take the canoe out tomorrow.

have a good weekend everyone!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I just read through the daily and would love to write something more than a I am so tired that this short post will do, post.  But, such is life.  My 14 yesterday was really nice.  Windy but sunny out and with the temperatures in the low 50's, not as good as summer but better than winter!

Busy two days coming up.  Tomorrow I hope to do 16 in the morning.  Then prepare my part of a birthday dinner we are holding for a friend who just turned 60.  That means getting to the store to buy some of the ingredients I need, get home and get going.  This is followed by a Sunday morning wake up that I guess will be around 6am to get my DW to the More HM in NYC in time for the start.  Oh, did I mention pack so that I can bring my suitcase in the car to NYC so that after the race I can catch a plane?  Did I mention laundry?  Yes, that too.  I am looking forward to visiting Austin which is where I am heading.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, in the US the initial private pilot certification includes night flight, the training has to include night flight, so flying at night can be done by any private pilot. The challenge is that it is much harder to see clouds, and therefore avoid them. It is also absolutely black hole flying in many conditions in places like where we live...unless we have a big moon on snow. Otherwise, no lights no nothing for miles and miles. And that functionally makes it instrument flight. So I have not done much night flying.

In Canada, the night rating is a separate training, and a private pilot with a Canadian license is not automatically allowed to fly at night.

On a nice calm night with a big moon and snow on the ground, it is about the coolest thing ever. So I have made some night flights. On other nights, not so much. So my total night hours are only 10.

Makes a lot of things that didn’t make sense make sense that shouldn’t have made sense.
                  However, the full moon cross-country skiing (or new moon northern lights equivalent) was the same surreality. It’s what I miss most about the great land. Get yourself a pair of x-c skis for next winter.
                  one innocent person in jail is too many especially when it's because an unscrupulous enforcement officer decides they are guilty and make sure it turns out that way.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)