Masters Running

Dick Collins Firetrails 50 RR (Read 27 times)

Hi, Everyone - I haven't had time to be around much, and I can't post much now 'cause I'm under the gun here at work.  But here's my report from Dick Collins Firetrails 50, if you're interested.

I'll get back in here and get caught up soon.  'Til then, keep on keeping on, friends ~~~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm curious why they don't extend the cutoff at that last AS?  90 minutes seems like plenty of time for 6 mostly downhill miles.  I've seen other posts on FB about the cutoff being too early, and it seems like quite a few folks got pulled at that point.   Have you given feedback to the RD?  I'm also curious if you took the early start?

Bummer about the barfing and cramping.  Sounds like you gave it all you had!  Best of luck at the next one!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Yes, I did take the early start, and we had a gorgeous sunrise!  The hilltops, with their craggy oaks, looked like black cardboard cutouts against a really vibrant orange.  Beautiful.

Re the cutoff - With the early start, it's a 14-hr run, so I think it's reasonable.  It's starting to get dark, and I'm sure they want not only the runners but their volunteers from the last 2 stations (there's one after Bort Meadows for some reason) to be in before nightfall completely sets.  Pamela, who was DFL, came in after 8:00 p.m., and I'd guess she was very close to needing a headlamp by the time she finished.  The only option for drop bags is at the start/finish and the turn around, so if the cutoff were extended, runners would have to carry a headlamp with them from the turn around/halfway point.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SteveP

I want to see you in a finisher's jacket as well. <3

SteveP

coastwalker

Hi Lelsie,

DNF or not, you ran one heck of a gutsy race! You'll definitely get that jacket next time.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Sorry the race didn't go as well as it should have based on your training.  I hate when that happens.  I was wondering how you decide how much to eat on these longs runs. Someone on a run this morning told me he estimates how many calories he is going t o burn and then he takes in 25% of that.  So now I am curious about what others do.

Thanks for your wonderful comments, folks.

Dave -  Generally, the body can only process about 300 calories an hour during an endurance event, so the general rule of thumb is to try and get in 240-300 calories an hour.  I have been using Hammer Sustained Energy in my water, so between that and solid food,  I aim for 260-300 calories an hour.  I have a hard time because my stomach gets upset very easily, and it doesn't take long for me to not want to eat.

A lot of the faster ultra runners will use mostly gels to get their calories, but I can't stand those things.  I ate a lot of Aussie Bites (from Costco) in this race because they're easy for me to get down and they're 130 calories each.  Between the Hammer, Aussie Bites, orange slices and potatoes, I did really well in the fueling dept.

If you're an efficient fat burner, you can get away with consuming about 100-150 calories an hour.  I started with that training (Metabolic Efficiency Training) before Mt. Hood, but decided to back off of it for Firetrails.  I plan to start back, though, so when it comes time to train for a race, I don't feel like I'm killing myself.  It's hard to get your body to switch to burning mainly fat for fuel as opposed to carbs.  I had some awful LRs before Mt. Hood, and I think starting the MET training only three months out from a race was a bad idea.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mariposai

You2 blog post is always  so inspirational. You are one amazing athlete.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay, Leslie--for three days, now, I have been trying to post on here about your race report.  I've been using my iPad and, for some reason, it froze up every single time.  Nowhere else has this every happened.  It's weird.  So--now, I'm on my computer--it this freezes up, I'll write you a dang letter.

Anyway...great report!  I'm really sorry you were not allowed to finish and I'm sorry about your stomach issues and I'm sorry about your cramps.  I have experienced the feeling of cramps coming but they never developed into what you went through...thankfully.  But--so many really cool things in your story.  First--your whole attitude regarding the rules that did not allow you to continue--I really admire you for your understanding and appreciation of why they have the rules in place...I would not be so understanding.  Then the way you really buckled down and gave it everything you had to make that cutoff.  Then there's the people who stopped to help you.  Wow.  How cool is that.  I might have stopped for somebody but I doubt I would have known what to do for them.  And, then--the coolest of all--is Shorty.  You know--and you have said this many times--going through what you guys went through was the best thing that ever happened to you.  That is a guy who knows how lucky he is and is doing everything he can to show you he knows how lucky he is.  (that's a little "tetaneze" for ya)  Anyway...I just had to pass on my thoughts.  I know you will be back--I know it!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yeah, thanks mike.
                        Actually Leslie, what a fantastic run you had on what sounds like the California equivalent of our White River 50 up here in the PNW.  You would have easily finished without the cramps.  I didn’t know massaging could make the serious ones go away.  Glad you remember how Dennis did it.

However, very puzzling what could have caused them since you regularly took the salt caps.  The early ones should have digested by the time of the upheaval though.  Maybe try taking them ever 30 or 45 minutes on all of your runs from now on to get your system to associate and deal with them as a regular part of your running regime.
                        In my first White River, they took off my bid number at mile 44 too.  However, unlike you, not believing I could ever do any better, they let me call and plead with the RD to okay a DNF finish on my own so, at least, I could have the satisfaction of completing a long-aspired 50-mile race, albeit unofficial.
                        Against my better judgment, I went back the next year to test an easier semi-power walking pace up each of the two six-to-seven mile mountain ascents. It worked, just as your redemption will too.

Good luck.

ps - how could pamela be dfl at 8-pm if the cutoff was 7:30 pm.

Shouldn't she have been dnf too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

You're a tough lady, fatozzig.  You may not have gone the whole distance but what you did was amazing.  I can't imagine doing even a part of what you did.

TomS

Leslie, I too am so sorry about your cramping and stomach issues. I am in awe of you for all you put into this race. Your training was superb and you had the guts to even start this 50 mile race.  I am so glad that Shorty was there for you, he's a keeper.  I can picture him hiding there to make sure you were OK. You'll get that jacket, my dear, you will.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Thank you, Tet and Tselbs.

Tet - When I passed Pamela before my cramping episode, she was moving, but not at a very fast pace.  However, at that point there was still plenty of time to make the last cutoff, and the last 6 miles of the race are fairly benign.  I am guessing that once she made the cutoff, and she was probably the last one through, she did a lot of walking to come in after 8:00 p.m.

This is the first race where I wish I had had the nerve to plead my case to finish.  The couple of other times, I felt like I was at death's door and couldn't have cared less.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - puking and cramping and relentless climbs - what a tough race!  I kind of got a little teary when Shorty was holding you and letting you cry - I would have cried too.  I totally understand your disappointment when you overcame so many obstacles and came so damn close, only to be pulled because of time.  You are tough, gutsy runner, though, and I know there will be other races for you.  Jeesh, this is 50 miles!  That is a long, long way to run on flat ground, let alone up and down mountains!  And you went 44 miles!  Certainly longer and tougher than anything I have ever done.  You are still my hero!  (okay, heroine, but hero sounds better.....)  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."