Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 4.2.14 (Read 44 times)

However, I'm worried about CNY's moderation advice.  I might have to start running even more training miles to offset any excessive tapering, . . . but I love tapering so much, . . or is it running I love so much.  oh well. at 70 yo, who cares.

`and remember I have a 103.5 year-old granny and my great-granny passed at 106----neither were runners in the traditional sense, but always on the move. run, taper...both---it's all good!

(((((((dg))))))))  bubble wrap and duct tape me thinks. ouch.

New skirt in town

{{{dg}}}  So sorry about the rib.  They don't usually do an X-ray because there really isn't much to be done for a cracked rib!  Just let it heal, do activity as tolerated.  Avoid coughing, laughing or sneezing for the next month.

5.5 easy miles this morning.  I'll be up around 50 miles this week and then start tapering in earnest next week!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

mrrun

Happy Belated Bday Ilene!

nice quilt pics - MFA in Boston is having a quilt exhibit starting some time in April.  We caught a few glimpses behind closed doors and it looks awesome.

((dg)) take care of yourself

nice runs and tapering for everyone!

didn't run today - went to matinee play - Whale, speaking of overeating

have a lovely evening!

marj

CNYrunner nice to see your reply.  Reporters look for stories.  Research is no exception.  The problem is that fact checking on research amounts, in part, to knowing what a particular publication means.  Reporters either have no idea or do not care.

I ran 8 miles today with one of the students that went on the trip to Ireland I led last month.  Nice guy.  He is getting an MBA in part to switch careers.  My problem is he is a young and speedy guy!  Hard for me to keep up especially up the hills!

On another topic has anybody here run the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon?  Good course, bad course, hilly, flat, support, whatever.  I had planned to run Pittsburgh but it sold out.  This is Plan B.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi all!!

8.3 miles yesterday for me at a 9:09 avg pace - felt pretty good except for this foolish sinus congestion that won't quite let go --- made my last full mile the fastest.  It was pretty cool somewhere about halfway thru my run I saw a group of the h.s. team out running at a good clip in the opposite direction -- turns out they were doing a similar loop backwards from the loop I was doing and we passed each other again!!  I shouted out great work guys to them at them same time they were all giving me a smile and a wave ..... I love seeing young runners acknowledging us older folks!!

Tonight's track workout called for 5 x 1mile at lactate threshold pace.....based on our initial time trial, which Coach said we all might be more fit than that since we have been running strong for 11 weeks since the TT.  My estimated pace should have been about 8:30-8:40, but I hit 8:27, 8:10, 8:13, 8:10 and 8:06 -- and that was with talking thru some of them....we did a 2 minute recovery between each mile.

I am a little concerned that my run last weekend was cut from 21 to 18.2 because of this sinus cold -- Coach told me to see how I feel by Sunday and if the cold is gone and I can hit a decent 20 then do it, but if a strong 16-18 is more reasonable then to listen to my body like I did last Sunday.  I knew last week the benefit of slugging thru another 3 miles was not worth how lousy I felt and I guess that was the right call.

Any thoughts on 20 this week then a 2 week taper?

Sorry this is an all about me post --- I will go back and catch up now

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Add me to the list who can't wait to see what Karin does at Boston, this year.

Twocat--I did Flying Pig in 2004.  I picked this race because I thought the medal looked cool and my notes tell me that it was a nice course.  I do remember that it started raining and I started passing people in the last 4 miles that really fired me up and I had a good finish.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with it...as long as it doesn't rain.

So, after getting my Garmin to work again, yesterday, I strapped it on and went out to do my temp run.  One mile into my warmup, it went blank.  Luckily, I strapped my other watch on, too and I pretty much know where my mile markers are.  Still, it was a pain not knowing if I was on pace until I got to the end of each mile.  My miles weren't consistent but I wanted to run each tempo mile in 6:45...my total time for the 8 miles was 54:00...pure luck.  So, I got 12 miles done in 1:27:14.  I guess I need a new Garmin.  I have a 610.  I think I might get a 220.  It stinks that something so expensive doesn't last for even 2 years.

Okay--that's all the time I've got.  See ya!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hi Denise--I just saw your post.  I think you'd be fine to do 20 with a 2 week taper.  But I also think you don't need it after doing 18 last week.  I also think it's cool that the kids acknowledged you...cross country and track kids are so dang cool.

mrrun

On another topic has anybody here run the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon?  Good course, bad course, hilly, flat, support, whatever.  I had planned to run Pittsburgh but it sold out.  This is Plan B.

I ran it in 2006.  I think there were some minor hills in the beginning, but I remember around mile 19 thinking it was a piece of cake compared to boston.  henrun ran the half that year and ran the full in the late 90's.  I remember good support, reasonable size, and no sun.  we chose it because henrun's DD lives just north of cincinnati

holly - have you run it?

marj

wildchild

Carolyn

I guess I need a new Garmin.  I have a 610.  I think I might get a 220.  It stinks that something so expensive doesn't last for even 2 years.

Hey, Mike, you can send your Garmin in for repair, and they'll either repair or replace it for a pretty reasonable price - much cheaper than a new one.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Holly did the Flying Pig a few years ago....

Denise, you'll be fine with the 18, but if you feel up to trying 20 that would be fine too. If not, don't. A two-week taper is fine for most people, especially those who have been running awhile. Hope you're feeling much better soon.

Beautiful quilts, Starr. I have a really cool one from my grandmother. She used to do a lot of quilting. I wanted to be sure to have this one so she gave it to me after I graduated from college. Love it, but sort of afraid to use it. I don't want it getting dirty or covered with cat hair...

I agree with the all things in moderation. Good comments on the source, Karin. It drives me nuts how the media will grab hold of any study or article and announce it as this week's gospel. Just like the news that "low salt diets could be dangerous" that was on the news today. I can see a lot of people saying, ah hell, it doesn't matter, if I like salt, go for it! So... getting "enough" doesn't mean getting 3,000+ mg a day! Of course everyone needs some, it's an essential electrolyte, after all. But most diets go way past "sufficient" and roll into "excessive" with nary a blink.

6.1 miles today, mostly easy effort but pace around 8:31 average. A good run overall, but the wind on the return was annoying. I'll be glad when it warms above 40-45 most days. I wear a head band (ear band) o my runs because it's just cool enough, especially with the wind, that I get ear aches without cover. But I don't like wearing the full headband. Ah well, those days are numbered, right?

The highway dept is finally plowing our bike paths, which is so good to see! So now, the path on our main road is plowed, but still icy in spots, sometimes very thick ice. And the snow mounds on either side are over 4' high in places. Just ridiculous. If they'd maintain it during winter, it wouldn't be such a chore this time of year!  Still no action on the bike path on our road though. Still a mess.

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - I have run the Flying Pig before, and in fact am running it again this year with a couple other women!  You are welcome to crash at our house if you want to join the fun.  The course is a bit hilly, but not terrible, and a fun race. Great expo, great crowd support, the medal is cool and so are the tech shirts.  Plus you usually get a cool duffel.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Add me to the list who can't wait to see what Karin does at Boston, this year.

Yes, and also Deez!

{{{Dg}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."