Masters Running

Friday, March 15 Runs and Other Stuff (Read 49 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Bummer--one of these years I'll remember the registration date for B2B.

After two shorts runs earlier in the week, I wimped out when the windchill this morning was somewhere around 10°.  the extra hour of sleep wasn't too shabby either. Wink  out tomorrow when the sun is out AND a little warmer.

I have a half question for you all before I do my long run on Sunday.

I have a half next week Sunday that that I expect to do reasonably well at, but not really looking at a PR type, more of a supported long run.  I had in mind 14 miles for this Sunday, but noticed it took a bit longer than expected to recover from the 12.6 last Sunday.  Question is--should I do the planned long run and let the half fall where it may, or do a mini-taper (8-10 miles) and see what I get out of the half.  I don't see either option comprimising my full training, but anything over 13.1 is virgin territory for me, so any input would be welcomed.

thanks.  And Happy Ides to all.  Just pay close attention to anyone you see wearing a toga.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Mornin' all!

Yes, Jay, first time in shorts felt wonderful.

Unfortunately, now I'm paying for it.

Foot blew up on me again last night, still sore this morning.

Maybe too much too soon....back to square one.

Mariposai hugs to you dear sistahhh! Take care.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

I was at the gym this morning doing a little bit of a workout.  I am still pretty sore from working with a personal trainer on Wednesday.  I think the gym should include a handicapped parking permit when you sign up for personal trainer sessions.  I had quite a time walking from the parking lot to the grocery store today.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Sorry about the setback Heme. Wonder how tomwhite's doing....

Happy anniversary Carolyn!

PCR today, but due to my stupidity I missed a mile of it. Was supposed to run a mile easy for my warmup, then reset the watch back to zero for the 8 tempo miles. Didn't hold the button long enough, I realize now, so my warmup counted as one of my "laps", so I only ended up with 7 at tempo. Which is a shame, since I was feeling so strong today, and was surprised the miles had gone by so quickly.... Stoopid!! Tempo miles were 8:25, 8:25, 8:27, 8:27, 8:23, 8:17, 8:16. Total mileage was 9.77 miles. Eh, I'll take it.

Nice run OM!  It is very cool to see you turning into a speedster.

Well, finally found time for a run this morning, after nada all week, 4 miles.  Hope that HUGE base I have (not!) is good enough to get me through the St. Pat's day dash with Tet and Dive.  TGIF is all I can say.

I've been doing what has become the too familiar emotional rollercoaster thing all week, hitting the bottom yesterday, but staying on the tracks enough to enjoy my DD's talent show last night.  I really needed that run this morning.

Enjoy the gift

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Anniversary Wildchild!

OM - sweet tempo!

CNY -keeping my fingers crossed for you....

Maine - enjoy vacation!

Kevin - Me, I think I'd do 12 this Sunday, sort of split the difference, you know?

2 miles for me on the TM this morning after and upper body weights and core workout, plus 15 burpees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike, postitive vibes being sent for Eric in finding a new job.  deez, I'm anxious for baby news and pictures.  Tammy, it's neat about you running with the kids.  maine, sorry to hear you've been sick but glad to know you're better.  Good news on the house and have a good vacation.  wild, congrats on your 31st anniversary.  heme, sorry to hear about the setback.

Nice long runs for ribs, wild, and Tramps.  Good job on the speedwork for OM, deez, and C-R.

This morning it was in the low 30s and there was some wind.  I got in 5 miles at a 10:53 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

OrangeMat

MM #6177

And, for a brief weekend, we are a family of four again. DS came home this afternoon, and DD returns to school on Sunday. Oy the laundry.... can't wait... Wink

Happy weekend, everyone!

Rondog65

Happy Anniversary to you and your DH, 31 years is a proud accomplishment.  Unfortunately my running in shorts and scaring the neighbors came to an end as the temperature dropped overnight to 26 degrees when I got up this am (was in the 50’s for the past couple of days).  By the time works was done and it was time for my run it had warmed up to a steamy 36 degrees.  No more griping had a nice uneventful 4.7 mile run.

Ron

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyone ever want to unfriend their spouse on FB?   Since he got a FB account, 3 weeks ago, I feel like I can' express myself anymore.  Not like I post there much anyway, but....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Anyone ever want to unfriend their spouse?

Yes...my DW does...

Hey--happy anniversary, wild!

Really sorry to hear about your injury, Hemme....that stinks.

You really are getting fast, OM.  Keep it up!

Hello everybody else!

No run for me, today....just did my 15 burpees.

It snowed most of the day, today, and it's supposed to continue with a "wintery mix" throughout the night.  My race, tomorrow, is on trails...I expect it to be a sloppy mess.  The race isn't until noon, so that might help a little.  I haven't raced since September!  It will be interesting.

Okay--I guess I'll leave you all alone, now.  See ya!

Mariposai

B]

I have a half next week Sunday that that I expect to do reasonably well at, but not really looking at a PR type, more of a supported long run.  I had in mind 14 miles for this Sunday, but noticed it took a bit longer than expected to recover from the 12.6 last Sunday.  Question is--should I do the planned long run and let the half fall where it may, or do a mini-taper (8-10 miles) and see what I get out of the half.  I don't see either option comprimising my full training, but anything over 13.1 is virgin territory for me, so any input would be welcomed.

thanks.  And Happy Ides to all.  Just pay close attention to anyone you see wearing a toga.

The half will  help you find out what pace you are looking at for your first marathon. I always find that a half marathon race really prepares me for the whole.

No running here either. I dealt with the worse allergy attack in recent history last night. I was miserable all day today, so I took the day off from all physical activity. The allergies will dictate if I run at all this weekend. My plan is a 20 miler...we will see.

My plan is also to get up early to make twocat's Irish soda bread for the Income Tax volunteers my DH leads. They work so hard, they deserve some yummies.

Ohhh, the crocuses are in bloom!!!! Spring is coming!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice early start holly.  ARe you practicing going to Japan some time. You'd love the Joyfuls, . . and they you.  since it doesn't feel like running if it is in anything else but shorts (used to call 'em gym trunks in those days), I'd rather wear shoes than not wear shorts,  How come shorts sounds like something else but so does everything else.  They call them running pan without the "ts" in Japan but, for both men and women, they are usually really short, short-slitted shorts. Just when I'm looking forward to beating divechief and enke with their skimpy training, all sorts of stuff is starting to swirl around again as the weekend arrives.   Gotta stave it off. Anyway got the green paint ready.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Have fun in the slop, Mike!

Nancy, I hope you're feeling better soon. What is blooming that's causing you trouble? You could live here and wouldn't have to worry about allergies for several more weeks. Roll eyes

It sounds like a lot of you are having chilly temps not much different than us. But maybe you're not hitting -10 or so at night... We got up to a little over 20° today with bright sunshine, but windchills down to around zero to 5 in places.

I had the day off today, so of course I went into the office for about 3 hours (!) and got quite a bit done. I mainly like the lack of interruptions so I can concentrate. I need to read, think, study and edit stuff, and it's hard when you have endless interruptions in a normal workday. So... that's how I spend holidays (it's our Spring Break). Then a leisurely shopping trip that took way longer than I'd planned, home to do some cleanup and vacuuming, then time for a run. Still a bit too windy for my liking, and it's so icy out around here (and hilly) so I retreated to the treadmill. Ran 7.2 miles with some intervals to mix things up: 4 x 800m (.5 mile) @ 8:00 pace, then 3 "striders" of .1 mile @ 7:30, and 8:34 to finish. I hope the wind dies down soon, I'm tired of it already.

Hey, my DH was thinking I'd be so envious of Wildchild's plow truck, he found one for me! I'm really such a lucky girl... Big grin

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey, my DH was thinking I'd be so envious of Wildchild's plow truck, he found one for me! I'm really such a lucky girl... Big grin

ALASKA - where men are men,. .. and women drive 5-ton trucks

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)