Masters Running

Charlevoix (MI) Marathon - Sat, June 27, 2015 (Read 61 times)

OK, this is the official thread where we can track who's going to be there, when & where, etc. I'm glad to start this and keep the main post up to date.

What: Charlevoix Marathon (also half-marathon, 10K, and 5K)

Where: Charlevoix, Michigan

When: Saturday, June 27, 2015 (marathon 6:30AM, HM 7:00AM, 10/5K 7:30AM)

Course: Mostly flat and fast, paved bike trail (Little Traverse Wheelway) out-and-back along the bay

BQ certified: Yes

Registration caps: Marathon 1000, HM 1200, 10/5K 750

Note from the registration director about the caps:

The marathon and HM has a cap but we always have those who don¹t show at the last minute (about 10%). I don¹t know how fast it will fill up. It did not fill up last year. We feel it will though this year. I understand that they need to wait especially coming in from out of state. If by chance it is full and registration is cut off, please contact me and I¹ll make more spots. I don¹t want anyone to be disappointed or frustrated.

Where to stay: Numerous hotel, resort, B&B options in area: Charlevoix, Petoskey (20 min away), Traverse City (50 miles)

Other activities: Biking (rentals available), golf, sightseeing, swimming, Mackinaw Island, "Tunnel of Trees" road past breger's place.

Let me know in comments below if you sign up, and also what days you'll be there and where you're staying. This is a major summer home and vacation destination with a fairly short season, so accommodations will likely fill up fast -- especially on weekends. So even if you're not sure about signing up, I'd advise making cancellable reservations as far ahead as possible.

MARATHON SIGNUPS

AamosY

evanflein

Holly S.

perchcreek

HALF MARATHON SIGNUPS

SteveP

rochrunner

OTHER SIGNUPS

tselbs

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Would anyone want to go in on a house rental? I found a nice one.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Would anyone want to go in on a house rental? I found a nice one.....

Yes!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya, I have a room but I can cancel it, so do let me know if you need more folks and the expense for the house.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I take it then that Erika and Holly are in the definite-maybe category? And as much as the idea of sharing a house with a bunch of young(er) athletic women appeals to me , my DW would be quite overwhelmed being around a group of hyped-up morning people that she doesn't know (she barely tolerates me at times!).

So we'll stick to our motel. We're staying at the AmericInn, which is about 2 miles out from downtown, on Fri-Sat, then moving to the Stafford Perry Hotel in Petoskey for Sun-Mon.

wildchild

Carolyn

I would love to come for the RA meetup, but I have zero interest in doing this race, so I'm afraid I'm out.  I tried to find something appealing about the race, but it's eluding me.  If anyone wants to try to convince me otherwise, I'm listening!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

DW would prefer camping at young State Park. As cozy as it is, our camper has three single beds if any one is interested.

SteveP

I would love to come for the RA meetup, but I have zero interest in doing this race, so I'm afraid I'm out.  I tried to find something appealing about the race, but it's eluding me.  If anyone wants to try to convince me otherwise, I'm listening!

It's a beautiful area Carolyn. A different "beautiful" from where you live. No elevation changes but lots of clear blue water and sandy beaches. And - you'd get to meet more RA friends. You need to get outside of your comfort zone once in a while. Quit running those easy mountain trails and come and run on blacktop and cement with the rest of us

It's a beautiful area Carolyn. A different "beautiful" from where you live. No elevation changes but lots of clear blue water and sandy beaches. And - you'd get to meet more RA friends. You need to get outside of your comfort zone once in a while. Quit running those easy mountain trails and come and run on blacktop and cement with the rest of us

So are you definitely thinking of signing up, Jeanne? Where in Wisconsin do you live? I guess you'll have three options for getting there: southern, northern, and ferry! 

If I were to show up for Charlevoix, either as a spectator or running one of the short distances, I'd probably bring my old pop up camper.  Steve, I see where Young State Park is near Boyne City.  How long would it take to drive from there to Charlevoix?

TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'm signed up for the Marathon!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Sayhey! MM#130

I'm signed up for the Marathon!

Whopee to the 84,000th power!  How tremendously marvelous to be able to visit with you again!

And tselbs, sounds like you're for sure, at least as a spectator?  Yippee!  with family, too??

-->  You get the idea, I'm sure!

Sayhey! MM#130

Quit running those easy mountain trails and come and run on blacktop and cement with the rest of us

You could wear Skechers, the soft shoe, or those Hokas.

..........or we would collect pine needles to stuff in your trail shoes........

Marathon Maniac #957

I am registered!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Ok, I'm "this" close to doing the same! I haven't heard back from the owners of the house, but damn it's cute and right by the start/finish! Would be perfect! The only "issue" is that this place looks to have a much higher cost during the summer, and might move up to a 7 night minimum. Might still be less than the collective hotel cost we'd all pay, though!