Masters Running

Snowed In Saturday 01/23 (Read 35 times)

Good morning everyone! I looked at the national weather this morning. Holy cow! Our RA friends on the East Coast are getting blasted! Here's hoping you've got a good supply of food/drink/good books/DVDs to get you through the weekend. Oh - and a treadmill too!

Not a big fan of squirrels either. The ones in our yard are very aggressive at the bird feeders and scare the finches, cardinals and robins away whenever they visit. Plus, they'll eat until the seed is nearly gone which drives me crazy.

No bagel bakeries nearby? If someone was leaving them for the critters, you'd think they would choose a place farther away from the road. I'm with Leslie - start carrying cream cheese or Nutella

6 miles this morning in balmy 16° temps with no wind. Properly dressed and wishing I could go further, but the tape job I did on my big toe didn't work and it was pretty sore the last mile or so. Then to indoor farmer's market for some fresh eggs, Brussels sprouts, carrots and a nice loaf of American rye bread.

Have a great Saturday everyone, and hang in there, East Coasters!

...hi jylnne//.......10-inches + here, not a Killer Squirrel in sight

===============

first of 3x20-min HH walks in house

..............good running guys..................be careful out there

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

22 degrees and very windy here, but minimal snow at least, and the roads are mostly dry pavement.

7.5 face-freezing miles for me, plus a few weights and core exercises.

Off to DD's basketball game in a bit.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Brussels sprouts!  Love twocat's recipe.  Rye bread!  W/caraway?

Thanks for the weather update; wow, that's not what they were predicting for NYC last night!   55 mph wind gusts in Atlantic City.....

sorta feel guilty posting a run.....we are cool here and have wind gusts of 25+.....so I sandwiched a 5K that benefits a high school band in between running to and from the race for ten and a half miles.

Full moon tonight.  Hope to see the planets aligned early tomorrow morning.  It's been cloudy so far.  We'll be up early for a half at Lakewood Ranch Sunday.

You know, watching the weather news, I would love to know what the people who are stuck on major roads were thinking when they decided to get in a car and drive in that mess.  Maybe they all have really important jobs?

grins,

A.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Hello friends!! Worried about our friends getting slammed with this storm - thankful to be missing it this time, but don't like seeing it hit the mid-Atlantic states either!!

Yesterday set my alarm quite early and squeezed in a great workout before heading in to work - bike, treadmill, upper and lower body strength plus a few planks all in about 40-45,minutes. I started adding in the chest press machine this week and realized it's still not a good idea - could feel sternum pain again so cartilage must still be healing from my fall -- crazy!!

Today ran an accidental 13.1 miles -- 3.5 to the start of the Fudgcicle, 3.13 tempo pace at the race, .27 untimed with a friend who started her watch correctly , ran with her for a little over a mile then kept going -- went down a side street that was longer than I remembered and came out on a road that I thought was closer to home than it was .....ooops total post race was 6.2 which brought me to a longer than planned run. Oh but it felt soooooo good!! 

Working tomorrow -- GOOOOO Pats!!

denise

Nice accidental 13.1 Deez!

I hope I can post 1.5 miles and still call it a run?  Went with Remi down to the middle school.  It was raining pretty hard.  When I got back, I was going to go out again by myself, but I was just so wet and cold.  Wimp.  Saving my legs for my first bike ride tomorrow on Gigi.  From my house to Mr. Blue Eyes, about 14 miles?  I am sure I could go there and back but I will ease into it.  For my butt's sake.  It's been raining so much here lately, just hard to get out in the morning to run in the dark pouring rain.  I do have a treadmill, so I really don't have an excuse other than this time of year being so dark, I am just super sleepy in the morning.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker

Hiya everyone!

I haven't seen the weather from down south, but I hope our friends in the mid-Atlantic and southern New England states aren't getting hammered too bad, or are able to stay in and weather the stawm nicely in the hammer did drop.

Nice run, and nice pick-ups at the farmer's market, Jlynne. I'm sorry the toe is still giving you grief.

10" of snow = a good day for an indoor workout, TW. Your killer squirrels are probably somewhere in that snow...

Face-freezer runs are tough, Holly. Good job of getting out there and getting it done. Have fun at DD's game.

Nice 5K sandwich in the wind, Aamos. Good question about those drivers who have been seeing a million inches of snow heading their way for days and still ventured out with neither sled nor dogs.

Gotta love those unplanned but "sooooooo good" runs, Deeze.

I don't suppose it would help to wear a headlamp on your treadmill to solve the problem of it being so dark this time of the year, would it, Enke? Have fun with Gigi & MBE.

I was going to save my longer workout for tomorrow until I looked at the weather this morning and saw that we'll be enjoying 25 +/- mph winds tomorrow as the stawm heads out to sea but kicks some wind in our face on it's way. So, even though I barely had time for it this morning I went 10.2 racewalking miles. It was 20F with just a moderate NE breeze. Time was tight because I had to get back to wake up DW so we could go enjoy breakfast at our favorite dive before I had to head to our monthly conservation commission site walks. I averaged 11:15/mi, with the last one at 10:50, and I got back right on time to be DW's alarm clock.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Our portion of the storm started up not long ago, but we still seem to be in the 1-3" area.  Somewhat disappointed.  We head up Jay's way in a few hours for my company's  holiday party.  We'll be taking DW's Forester, with its AWD and heated seats to brave the howling blizzard.  Never realized how worthwhile something as frivolus as heated seats could feel.

Probably should have done as jay did to get my long run in today, but stuck to the schdeule at least part way.  It was supposed to be 3 easy, but I ended up with 3.2 at 8:40 pace.  Even negative splits!  Almost a minute/mile faster than yesterday and it felt easier.  Not sure where it came from, but just enjoying it.  At 26°, it was 10° warmer than the rest of the week, so less clothes.

Nice accidental half, Deez.  It would appear that you're ready to smoke our real one in a few weeks.

Sorry to hear about the toe, Jlynne--especially when you were ready to go for more.

Enjoy the ride, Enke.  Hope Gi-Gi won't get too wet.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker I sometimes think you live for meetings.  <- me going to as many meetings as coastwalker.

AamosY that is one hot chart you have there!  I have a great jerk chicken recipe that makes good use of those habanero peppers on the top of that list. But, if the batch is really hot my DW is not so happy. Me? I LOVE hot! Which Brussels sprouts recipe is it you like? I have a few.

mrrun I had no idea putting hot sauce in the refrigerator cooled it off! 

Between Jlynne and buehrle I now have to go watch The Martian. 

moebo pretty funny about the bagels. Some, want to do a wild animal a favor, samaritan I imagine. Not sure it is so good for said critter that gets it though. For some, I hear it messes with their digestive tracks.

fatozzig cream cheese! Great line! 

deez4boyz if you escape this storm you are lucky. We were supposed to get a dusting to 3". The new revised, revised, revised forecast is for SW CT to get 18" to 24". 

Today the Wall Street Journal's Food & Drink section has a recipe for Over-the-Top Stuffed Meatloaf. You can lose the calories, some of the work and get a meatloaf that I bet tastes just about as good by following a recipe by Bobby Deen http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-deen/turkey-bacon-cheeseburger-turkey-loaf-recipe.html. Bobby Deen's version uses ground turkey and turkey bacon in place of ground beef, ground pork and pig bacon. All, I can say is try Bobby Deen's recipe before thinking that cannot be nearly as good. Deen's recipe is on regular rotation in my house.

My DW and her friends cancelled their weekly run meetup for today. Instead my DW did a few on the TM. I may see about the elliptical today. Plan B has been to spend the day working, cooking and doing laundry. My life is just soooo exciting. Zzzzzz

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - that looks delicious, I will have to try that recipe!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Sending butterfly hugs to all our East Coast friends who are being hit by the snow.

Holly, good for you for enduring the harsh weather! Did DD win her game?

Enkie, the snow is so good here. Bring the kids over  some snow play.

Way to get with that half marathon accidentally, deez4boys.

7 miles today plus some our of the ordinary cross country skiing. The snow was heavy, sticky and on top of it all, we had to break the trail since they have not groomed the trail for two weeks. Still we had a lot of fun.

Cheers and be safe, dear friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job toms on your inspiration in keeping your race-a-month streak alive and good luck in getting back to runnin' them as soon as possible. The way I’m going, I’ll never be running when I get to henrun’s chronology but his inspiration is sure going to keep me trying. Thanks henry!

Since I don't drive, and since I love cross country skiing, I'd give anything to trade places with any of the snowbound who wish they weren't. I once x-c skied six miles in to work and six miles back in a PNW snow storm some time ago and used to do it almost daily for three winter miles each way when I lived a little south of erika.  Good thing I'm not there anymore as I can hardly run let alone ski.  Love to read the posies' exploits and miss lamerunner's.

In the meantime, what's with the long numbers on library cards nowadays.

All the ones here in GS-land start with a two and a four followed by seven zeros (0000000) before a final five distinguishing digits and all the Seattle ones have a one and four zeros before getting serious.  I got GS his first library card on Tuesday but forgot it when we went back to the library on Thursday for him to play MineGames on the computer.  When I said the librarian could retrieve it for us, he said, "I remember it" and, with my recalling the seven zeros were in the middle of a coincidentally numbered four and a three (4+3=7), we got logged in on the first try:  24000000032106. I don't think either of us will ever forget it now.  . . . .I only wish I could remember my Seattle one.

pps - oddly enough, the coldest I’ve ever been was a steady wind penetrating 16-degree temperatures to the bone while standing almost alone on an Arlington, VA boulevard in front of the hotel on a Sunday morning to watch the Olympic Torch on the way to Lake Placid. It turned out to be well worth it though as I decided to run along with the lonely runner for a while and surprised myself by asking if “I could carry it” and being even more surprised when she handed it to me, . . . until a horrified torch official opened the back door of the torch van and brought an end to it being carried by some guy in slippery dress shoes and attire, even necktie as befitting an Olympic Torch in those days. Actually, i was gratefully relieved as I'd become instantly horrified too that I'd slip, fall and drop it dousing out the flame.  Whew!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

pps - oddly enough, the coldest I’ve ever been was a steady wind penetrating 16-degree temperatures to the bone while standing almost alone on an Arlington, VA boulevard in front of the hotel on a Sunday morning to watch the Olympic Torch on the way to Lake Placid. It turned out to be well worth it though as I decided to run along with the lonely runner for a while and surprised myself by asking if “I could carry it” and being even more surprised when she handed it to me, . . . until a horrified torch official opened the back door of the torch van and brought an end to it being carried by some guy in slippery dress shoes and attire, even necktie as befitting an Olympic Torch in those days. Actually, i was gratefully relieved as I'd become instantly horrified too that I'd slip, fall and drop it dousing out the flame.  Whew!

I love this!

SteveP

DW and I went to an indoor farmer's market as well.

I'm feeling for those of you not used to heavy snow.

Tet, you have an outstanding GS.

I had new glasses come in and planned on picking them up Saturday. DD#1 had an eye appointment Friday, however, the person who was to watch GD# canceled. I decided work could live with out me for two hours and met them at the office. While on the floor playing with Nora, (18mo), she reached towards me and said "Happy". Holy melt your heart.

It may take a bit to get used to these specs. The first time I went to this Dr. in 2002, he said I had been corrected for astigmatism that I didn't have. a few appointments/years later he said, "I've been doing this for 27 years and I've never seen anything like this". Sometimes I have astigmatism. Sometimes I don't. I told him not to worry, ever Dr. except my dentist has said something similar. Though, after 54 years, the novelty has worn off. The rest of Friday and Saturday, it's been tough to judge my footing.

DW, Tag and I went a new trail in the snowshoes. We did two loops. Tag and I did a 3rd loop and got a mile and a half. I'll post pictures later.

A young man from our church had neck surgery and we attended a benefit for him. DW and I adore his entire family. The traverse City Track Club also had a banquette and invited me. I cram in a few mile a week and do not feel worthy to join such a group. When I said there was a scheduling conflict, one of the members asked if the dog could go.

SteveP