Masters Running

Thursday, 10.8.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

"HA! Had to post back at you, Jay; whenever DH uses the word "interesting" in reference to food, it usually means "let's NOT have this again soon."  Or are just a titch nervous over the new DL?" Aamos, in this case the recipe was interesting/different, but the outcome was good. I told our niece that she is now in charge of the dinner menu (we'll all help with the prep) one night a week.

We went to the Grand Canyon, just once, and only walked along the rim. It was an amazing sight! Meaning no slight to Leslie, I think I'd sooner go back to the GC than to Zimbabwe, especially after reading how visitors have to manage their finances there.

Sounds like a great trip with the Japan Joyfuls, Tet. I could also do without Vegas - just not my kind a' town. It's great to read about other folks' adventures at/in the Grand Canyon.

Good for you for a good 10-miler, Ribs! Enjoy the nice weather.

I'm glad the hip flexor is getting better, Twocat, even if the Halloween village is suffering.

Great combination of tastes/textures on that pizza, LaT.

Econo - I know the Stickies are there, but haven't really paid attention to them in a while - apparently I'm not the only one. But I don't think it does any harm, other than taking up a small bit of real estate, to leave them. If there were more than half a dozen or so, I'd agree that some of the older ones should go.

Steve, it sure would be fun to work with you! But I sense that interviewer may have another way to describe working with you.

I participated in a great sand dune restoration workshop yesterday afternoon and evening. This morning, I put on my half marathon hat, and am meeting with the police chiefs of the 3 towns our race travels through. Along the way, I'm picking up the trophies for the top finishers in our Seacoast Road Race Series, and am excited to see how they look.

No workout yesterday, except for carrying about 15 master cartons of toothbrushes upstairs at the office. My glute/hamstring is feeling better this morning, but I took another rest day on therapist's orders.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay

''Years ago, we did a 10-day trip and drove to the Grand Canyon and Brice Canyon.  Both stunning places in their own right and places I'd love to go back to some day.  At Brice, we walked down to the bottom then crawled our way back out.  This is when we were both pretty out of shape, and when we were climbing out we looked up at the sky and it was so blue!  I'm convinced we thought it was so blue because we thought we were gonna die.  ''

,,,,,,when we stayed at Brice Canyon (GORGEOUS////)

I made the mistake

of running uphill by some ''Cairns'' (sp?? it's a buncha piled up rock markers))

was literally Pushing my Quads down by the time I made the top

=========

.......Graduated from PT today

also

managed to hurt my outer hamstring (turns out it's 3-different muscles) whilst trying to cross my leg to get my damn sock on

so

REST DAY

..............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

'mornin'

...well no black eye but sore wrist and puffed up knee.  Took a spill (over a speed bump; believe me, there was no speed involved) this am.  Finished the run (6.5 miles) but one knee, which sorta stayed a little bumpy after the last spill about 7 months ago, is now looking like a fat lip.  Only it's a knee; can you envision a fat one?    The opposite wrist obviously took the rest of the fall, but for a bit of scuffing* on an elbow and other knee.  So I brought my ice packs to work.  They're clear oblong plastic with little round balls inside (also can be used for heat therapy w/ a microwave).  Well, one was, until it cracked while on my knee and spilled the little balls all over the carpet.

Other than that, it's a greta day!  I mean, at least I'm not a die-hard Pirates fan.   (My condolences if you are.)  And my goal for the marathon Saturday was already dialed way back due to heat.  All good.  I even found aspercreme in my drawer in the office, imagine that.

*reminds me of the word scuffling.  Anyone else annoyed at the latest tendency among sportscasters to describe a player or team as "scuffling" when they are struggling or in a slump?  This is NOT the correct usage!  Makes me talk out loud to the radio and I hate that.

Bet the trophies are handsome, Jay.

Enjoy your Thursdays.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Baseball will have to address the situation in which three teams, all in the same division blow away everyone else with 100, 98 and 97 wins, and the 98 and 97 teams have to play each other for the wild card.  I'm happy for my son the Cubs fan, but the Pirates, with 98 wins, deserve better.  Today it's Henry vs. me!

Made a mistake on my ten-miler yesterday wearing a racing flat when I thought I was bringing a light trainer.  When I started to run I noticed it but thought it would be okay.  Then later in the day my left foot was a bit sore on the outside, no big deal, but just to be safe I took Lucy to the park and walked her over a mile, a rest day for me.

Twocat insulted me yesterday on FB by suggesting my joke was as bad as the ones SteveP tells.  You be the judge:

Scottish mother visits her son in New York City apartment and asks, "How do you find the Americans?"
          "Mom, they'e such noisy people. One neighbor won't stop banging his head against the wall, while the other screams all night long"
          "Oh, how do you manage to put up with them?"
          "What can I do? I just lie in bed quietly, playing my bagpipes."

Spareribs

The Joke - I think I have a bruise on my forehead where I hit it against the desk when I read that.

SteveP Personality Assessment - They could've saved a ton of time just by asking us.

Jay - No offense taken!  I'd love to go back to the Grand Canyon and Brice.  That was a really fun trip.  Funny how the best trips seem to be the ones where you're broke and living off of PBJ's and cold cereal.

Aamos - Those speed bumps have a sneaky way of jumping out in front of you when you least expect it.  Take care of that knee.

Me this morning?  I just didn't get up.  We spent last evening putting our house back together after getting the carpets and furniture cleaned.  The furniture hadn't dried by the time we went to bed, so the blankets we usually have laying along the back of the couch and chair were sitting on top of a box on the counter in the kitchen.  Wilson decided that's where he needed to sleep . . . until he decided a better spot was under the covers next to me.  The cat's a bed hog.  And he kicks like a mule when he's sleeping.

Tomorrow our journey begins as we will leave around 8:00 a.m. to drive down to San Francisco, we fly out at 7:35 p.m., and arrive in Harare, Zimbabwe at 12:15 p.m. on Sunday October 11.  I'm so frigging excited!! 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Is there a major difference between "groan" and "face palm"?

Sorry about that spill, Amy.  Where you scuffling as you went over the speed bump?

USRD yesterday for me.  I was up and dressed for a run and then did  a RTYP without the run   Went back to bed and then slept on and off until about 3pm.  back in bed at 9pm and feeling much better today.  Dropped DW off at the airport on the way to work.  She's looking forward to seeing folks she hasn't seen in a while, just not the occasion.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

To think I am a big fan of SteveP's posts.  

econo and coastwalker  I give what stickies are you all talking about?

AamosY my pet peeve is they way people describe one third as much as three times less.  The image I get when a Charmin commercial uses that phrase . . . well it can ruin a whole day!  

No running yesterday.  Just loafin' around.  As in making loaves of Irish Brown Bread!  Man cannot live by carrots alone!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat insulted me yesterday on FB by suggesting my joke was as bad as the ones SteveP tells.  You be the judge:

I think SteveP is hilarious......

Another rest day for me today, wow, I could get used to this, if only my waistline didn't immediately begin showing my sloth....

I think I mentioned that my little Dexter dog apparently tore his ACL in his back leg.  The vet gave him doggie meds and he felt much better for a while, but surgery is the only solution that will fix it.  I really hate to see him struggle so - now that the meds are gone he tries to get up in the morning and just falls over - poor little guy.  We decided to go ahead and have the surgery, and he is scheduled for next Wednesday.  I have never spent this kind of money on a pet ($1200) but the little guy likely has another 5-6 years left in him, and he is such a great dog - you couldn't ask for better.  If I can spend that kind of money on a root canal, I can certainly find a way to help my little dog.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good for you guys, Holly.  Pets are family, too (even though they can be expensive little buggers).  I've known a few folks whose dogs had to have ACL surgery.  The hardest part was keeping the dog quiet for the requisite recovery period.  Good luck with that!  But it absolutely does make their lives better.

Loafin' 

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Twocat - the stickies are the permanent threads at the top of the forum page.

Well....BE was all set to go home at 2:30pm yesterday after hernia surgery, but then he noticed he was oozing blood and a big pile of it had accumulated under his incision.  They decided to take him back into surgery to clean out the clot and see if he was still actively bleeding (he wasn't).  I was trying to convince him to just go home - the hematoma would have eventually gone away without reopening the incision and cleaning it out.  But the second surgery went fast and I eventually got him home around 8:30 pm.  He was so funny there - making constant wise cracks and entertaining the staff - I absolutely adore that guy.  And it was amusing the staff just assumed we were married and were going 'home' together and the surgeon called me immediately after the first surgery to update me, as if I'm family.

Anyhow, tired and have not run.  I am taking tomorrow off, and will run in the morning, then go to the cabin with BE - he can rest while I cook borscht and saw wood and make a fire etc.  Lucky guy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Anyhow, tired and have not run.  I am taking tomorrow off, and will run in the morning, then go to the cabin with BE - he can rest while I cook borscht and saw wood and make a fire etc.  Lucky guy.

Indeed. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I think SteveP is hilarious......

...I still suspect AvengerDoggie is ghost-writing his best stuff.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

...I still suspect AvengerDoggie is ghost-writing his best stuff.......

I knew it!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Seriously, though, Steve in person is one of the most gentle, self-effacing, off-the-cuff hilarious people that I have ever met.  A gem!

moebo

Don't have enough experience here to comment on SteveP's jokes, but m looking forward to hearing from Avenger Doggie (I think?).

Ribs, that joke actually made me giggle.

Aamos, so sorry to hear about your tumble! I hope your fat knee slims down fast.

Holly, sorry, too,  to hear about your doggie's knee troubles--good that there is a fix, albeit expensive.

Stumpy, glad you are better today.

Leslie, have fun in Zimbabwe! I would be super excited, too, in addition to being more than a little bit wary. That country has been through a lot over the past few decades. I am looking forward to reading your post-trip report, hopefully with pictures!

Enke, BE is indeed lucky to have you. Sounds like you are having a good time with this, too...

3 peppy miles for me today, under a navy blue star-studded sky. Awesome.