Masters Running

Thursday Daily - 01/24/13 (Read 42 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Jlynne, I only tried the Turkish Sit-Up, never got to the Get-Up, barely managed four on each side before it told me to Shut-Up.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Are you guys like me?  Because I'm a wimp, I did not run outside--even though it was a nice and warm 7o--and ran 12.2 miles on the treadmill.  I hate running on the treadmill.  4 miles into it, I thought--"Okay--at 6 miles, I'm going to take a little break."   But, then, I thought, "But, if I take a break, I'll have to tell my RA friends that I took a break.  Then they'll really think I'm a wimp."  So, for every mile after that, I told myself that I could not stop because I did not want any of you to think I'm a wimp.  By the way--how do you spell wimp...is it wimp...or whimp?  Anyway...I was just wondering if any of you guys do things just because you don't want this group to think you're a wimp.  I wonder if that kind of makes me a wimp, because I'm afraid of what you all might think of me.  Hmmm...am I wimp?  Or whimp?

Okay--I gotta go!  See ya!

TammyinGP

I would not have called you a wimp if you took a break at 6 miles, Mike.

but if you only did a plank for 4 seconds. yeah, then you are wimp. or even a whimp. or more like a Wimp!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I wonder if that kind of makes me a wimp, because I'm afraid of what you all might think of me.  Hmmm...am I wimp?  Or whimp?

If it's what I think of you, you are a running star supreme, especially running on a TM when you could have said you are like some people who don't run at all, inside or outside, if there is any snow or ice puddles, black ice, etc. at all outside. <<<(me/me)>>>  However, maybe better not ask erika and rhoon, . . . or anyone else what they think.

ps - It seems proper to wimp about being a wimp but maybe have to whimper about being a whimp
          http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/whimp.html
          The original and still by far the most common spelling of this common bit of slang meaning “weakling, coward,” is “wimp.” If you use the much less common “whimp” instead people may regard you as a little wimpy.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good evening,

I’m finally caught up on posts from Saturday through now.  Mike E, my heart goes out to you and your family.  The eulogy you wrote for Bonnie was touching and meaningful, thanks for sharing.  Mainerunnah, congrats to you on a great race.  I can tell that you are one of the serious runners here.

Leslie, it sounds like a stressful week of work with the sisters.  Say, about having to retype that document this week, my HP printer/scanner/copier has a way to scan a document as text then you can edit it and everything.  I got it to work once when we first got it but haven’t had a need for that feature.

Steve – I too am sorry about your friend but am glad that you could be there for him and his family.

Ribs – I am impressed with your running, wow!

Posie - you looked great out skiing

Jay, I often put a headband on over my hat.  It helps keep my ears a lot warmer.   Dave, I looked at those toe shields you posted.  Somehow my feet don’t really get cold.  I run the lake in just over an hour and then I’m home.  I do have cold weather, double-layer socks from Wrights but don’t know if they really make a difference or not.  I love the convertible running gloves from 180s, I think divechief has mentioned those before.  It is a challenge to get all the winter gear on which is partly why my January miles are so pathetic. (I am not a wimp, I am not a wimp, I am not a wimp).  I got home tonight and decided to bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies, yum!  I think I had three of them, but who’s counting.

I had an email from a friend today to let me know that a local trucking company had a load of Butter Braids© to get rid of and were giving them away.  I guess a company had refused the entire load.  I picked up 3 boxes of each of 3 flavors.  With six in a box they’ll last me all year except they are stored outside in the shed right now!  Actually,  I’m going to see if the church wants them to bake for the fellowship we have after church each week.

Well, enough about food!  I hope to get in a run this weekend. I have been nursing a cold all week so that, plus this cold spell has kept me from running since Saturday.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

ps - It seems proper to wimp about being a wimp but maybe have to whimper about being a whimp

Big grin

StarrRunner, so great to see you back here. BTW, what are  Butter Braids?

5 miles on the TM listening to my favorite Caribbean music!

Now it is time to enjoy some yummie steamed Swiss-chard, Broiled chicken and baby green salad.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Man, that Mike guy ... what a wimp...   yeah,  that's what we're all thinking!  Wink   Personally I'd much rather run in 7 degree weather than on a treadmill!  I guess you've gotta tell yourself something to keep at it for 12 miles - so if you have to tell yourself your RA friends are watching you, that's okay!   And I see Maine did 12 miles on the treadmill yesterday!  He's a wimp too, I guess....

OM,  I did 50 turkish getups with DD when we were in Spain - she lead me through a tough workout where you do 50 reps of 10 different exercises, but you can break them into sets if you want.  We didn't use the form shown in the video you posted, though, we just used a full water bottle for the weight, and stood up and lay back down 50 times holding the bottle over our heads, alternating hands each time, with whatever form worked.  It was hard!

Posie, sounds like a yummy dinner!

Jay, good luck with the frozen plumbing.  Hope your pipes thaw without bursting.

Stumpy, congrats on a MMTD run!

Erika - yikes!  I'd hate to see what your heating bill looks like...

Really warm in Denver this week!  I ran 8 miles after work and it was still 55 degrees!  The full moon was bright enough that I didn't need a headlamp.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

an amazing likeness

Last night I did a Medium Long Run on the treadmill - 12 Miles MLR - 1:34:30 (7:52).  I am feeling stronger by the day, now to just stay healthy and hopefully I'll get into sub 3:30 shape for my marathon.

Bob -- I'm an infequent (or even less often than that) poster here in the Master's daily, but wanted to jump in a say "wow" to your recent post on your 1:37 1/2 in FL and your daily runs. The last few times I've seen you in local races (B2B may have been the most recent?), it was obvious how much you were hurting. That's some impressive improvements you're running lately.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Big grin

StarrRunner, so great to see you back here. BTW, what are  Butter Braids?

5 miles on the TM listening to my favorite Caribbean music!

Now it is time to enjoy some yummie steamed Swiss-chard, Broiled chicken and baby green salad.

Well, they are frozen pastries that you thaw, raise and bake yourself, usually sold for fundraising by youth groups and other organizations.  They are quite good, but I don't get them very often.  I'd much rather have eggs for breakfast.  Here's what their web site says:

http://www.butterbraid.com/braided_pastries.aspx

Butter Braid® pastries are made from sweet, yeasted pastry dough, are layered with 100% real butter and contain zero grams trans fat. This gives Butter Braid® pastries a flaky outside, and a tender, light and airy inside as each layer raises up before baking. As you take a bite of the One-And-Only Butter Braid® pastry, you will be biting into over 16 layers of warm goodness.

Each Butter Braid® pastry contains a mouthwatering filling such as tart apple, warm cinnamon or smooth cream cheese. These fillings are laid atop the dough and wrapped up as the caring makers of Butter Braid® pastries hand-braid the dough sealing in the filling. The Butter Braid pastries are then frozen to seal in the homemade flavor and freshness.

To top it all off, each Butter Braid® pastry comes with an icing packet to complement the filling inside. Drizzle it over the baked pastry and you have a breakfast, snack or dessert that will leave you (and your guests) begging for more!

Butter Braid® pastries come frozen, allowing you the choice of when to thaw, rise, bake and eat! You can watch as your pastry doubles in size and smell the irresistible aroma of the pastry as it bakes. We recommend that you share your pastry with others, but we won’t tell if you happen to keep it all to yourself!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Feeling very fat and slow these days and thinking I should start the weight loss thread back up.....

+1

Mike - when I run on the TM, I take lots of breaks.  Just too tempting to have the bathroom there, and the kitchen for quick drinks of water, and the kids always come in and ask me to find things they've misplaced around the house, and DH wants me to look at something on the computer, etc.....Roll eyes

-51 - yikes!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bob -- I'm an infequent (or even less often than that) poster here in the Master's daily, but wanted to jump in a say "wow" to your recent post on your 1:37 1/2 in FL and your daily runs. The last few times I've seen you in local races (B2B may have been the most recent?), it was obvious how much you were hurting. That's some impressive improvements you're running lately.

Thanks Andy it has been a tough road to say the least for the last year plus, but at least I am able to run.  After I tore my soleus in my left calf at Sugarloaf last May I was really discouraged, I ended up training with the Insanity workout just to keep fit for a couple of months when I couldn't really run.  When I ran the Old Port Half last summer that was my first real long run since Sugarlaf and it was amazing to see how much endurance I had lost and it was really a struggle mentally more than anything else to get it back.  I spent many a long run with my running crew way out ahead of me during the longer runs especially at the end of the runs before I started seeing real progress late in the fall.  Now to see if I can get into decent marathon shape, I am using Boston as a training run and will tackle Sugarloaf as my goal marathon...I owe that sucker!

Are you going to be at the Mid WInter Classic 10 MIler in Cape next weekend?

As for all this talk of the cold temps and wimps I have no problem admitting I am a wimp when it comes to the cold weather!  Ericka and Rhoon you guys are awesome and I don't envy you having to run in those temps so often.  As for me I love Maine with a passion but I don't have too many Maine winters left in me, just getting tired of the snow, cold and long dark days.  Even though I am a wimp when it comes to the cold, I will gear up and hit the roads in pretty much any weather.

The only reason I hit the treadmill so much in the winter is because there is simply no safe place for me to run in the late afternoon/evenings around where I live.  I always look forward to mid March when we head out to Arizona because I know that I will be running on the roads again out there and when I get back to Maine.

By the way Tet - I loved your wimp response, too funny!  Big grin