Masters Running

Saturday June 28 Runs, Walks, Hops, Giggles..... (Read 400 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Just got back from one off my better runs I have ever had...in very very hot HUMID sweaty yucky contions. But I prepared well by hydrating very well yesterday and when I woke up this morning. I actually only lost a few pounds on my run today, which is better for me. Ribs has me doing wave runs on Sat's and this would be the first one I did correctly. 16.2 miles - 2:23 overall - ave pace 8:49. There is one mile easy between each of the repeats below...and thank goodness for Garmin to help keep track of constant changing paces. 3 miles at M pace - goal 8:00 - 8:08 - 8:01 - 8:07 3 miles at 1/2 M pace - goal 7:30 - 7:30 - 7:08 (oops, but started storming bad out) - 7:30 Overall this was the fastest I have ever ran 16 miles, and didn't feel spent at all when finished...which is the plan Ribs is trying to get into my thick scull, lol Need to clean up and eat...will be back to catch up with everyone here. Have a nice Saturday all. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Holly...hope you can figure out what's going on.... no SF sounds good..... rest days are good for recovery First run since we arrived at the beach Thursday evening.... a nice easy 12 miler along the coast to wrap up a 60 mile week. Good runs and racing this weekend, Jim

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning, 10.2 mile LR today. My time was 1:42:24 (10:03/mi pace). It was one of my best LR times ever. Doing those recovery runs during the week really helped. At the end of my run I felt like I could have gone farther. Tomorrow is suppose to be a 6 mile run, so I will see how I feel then. Holly:Hope that you will soon be able to get back to running, but don't push it! Sarge: "Rub some dirt on it" was my HS baseball coach's favorite saying. You could be lying on the ground bleeding to death and he would say "just rub some dirt on it." I hope you will be feeling better soon. The weather here in SOCAL has really cooled off. I hope it stays that way next week as I am running a 5k on the 4th of July. Have a great run and a fun weekend everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

5 mile tempo run with Coach this morning,35:14...for a 7:03 pace...started to feel it near the end,but we eased up a bit and I finished feeling good...
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
            HandyMom, nice run with your daughter. Holly, you were smart to go to a sports doctor even if he didn't appear to do any good. It's best to try and find out just what the problem is and what you should do about it. That said, I don't follow my own advice. Don't tell dg that I have not seen a doctor about my hamstring. She's right that I should but I try to ignore things hoping they'll get better. It doesn't always work. I'll use as an excuse that I don't know of any sports doctors in the area. I do think that there is improvement in my situation and I'll try to continue to take it easy and build back gradually. Oh, except for the 5K I did this morning trying to go slower than usual. I'll get to a race report later. Dave, that's a bummer that the landscapers cut your cable. I hope it's repaired by now. fjord, congrats to your daughter on her wedding I hope it goes (went) well. Happy anniversary evryday. Nice long runs for Roy (first part with MrsRoy and last mile fast), Peter, Sarge (first part with wife), biketm, SLO, and BC. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
              Good Day! We are having a minor heat wave here. 88 high today, 89 tomorrow. I misstated some things yesterday, first it should only be 70 by the end of my HM tomorrow, not 75! and second, Holly, I discovered today that I actually put on 2 pounds during my vacation, so you can hate me a little less. I could feel an extra little jiggle around my midsection during my 2 mile shakeout run today, ugh. Well, that puts me at 15 miles for the week so far. I sure know how to taper! I'm not looking forward to the teenage years, it sounds challenging.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, those kids can be challenging. DS15 is a breeze, but DS13 pushes my buttons about 1,000 times a day. The latest development is that I guess he decided to stop brushing his teeth entirely, because his orthodontist was APPALLED at his gum inflammation. It's to the point the doctor doesn't know if he will be able to do a perfect job on DS's teeth. So now I have to take him to a periodontist! With no insurance coverage! I'm so pissed off. I can't be on top of him 24 hours a day. I think we'll have him contribute some to the cost of the appointment(s). He got a warning a few months ago, and I know he was brushing like crazy for awhile. I didn't realize he'd stopped. The GOOD news is that DS15, DD10, and I headed to a local high school track to run this morning. Wow, what a beautiful track. It's closer to our house than our son's school! I ran an easy mile and my ankle never twinged - hooray! Then I walked two miles, while DD ran a total of 2 miles and DS ran 7 miles. Afterwards, we went to Dunkin Donuts. Big grin DH is just leaving for a run. He really does like to run, but he feels like he's too busy to go often. But when he does, he has MORE energy - I keep reminding him of that. Have a good one!
                TammyinGP

good afternoon everyone. Sounds like lots of folks are battling higher than normal and more humidity than normal type weather. We are as well - which didn't bode too well with my 5K this a.m. It was already about 75 degrees at the start 8 a.m. and humidity was a bit more than we typically have here in dry Southern Oregon. still nothing compared to midwesterners or Bill down in Florida, but still quite warm here. My 5K wasn't much to talk about considering my lack of quality running lately. 26:21. Don't know overall placements, but it's down there. this is a very fast and competitive group down here. Especially the 40-49 women's AG. My time didn't even get me in the top 6, and a friend, who is 37, ran a 24:43 and took 1st in her AG. I was very happy for her. It was her 2nd 5K ever, with her first one being at 27 something, so she took off 3 min from her time. Have a good day everyone - keep cool!

Tammy

Maniac 505

Holly: a few years ago I suffered a pelvis stress fracture (Ischial Ramus) I was hoping for a BQ, but suffered my injury a couple weeks before my goal marathon. It didn't hurt much to walk on it, but running was VERY painful. I started the marathon and DNF'ed in the first mile. Xray showed nothing, but a bone scan (a simple, painless, and relative inexpensive procedure) was definitive. I was unable to run for 7 months, but I hit the elliptical hard during that period I came back and BQ'ed 5 months after I started running again. Good luck. Dave
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, you jumped up and down on your bad leg to decide if it might be a stress fracture? Shocked Good luck, and if you hate the doc maybe you should get a second opinion. Fjordrunner, congrats on gaining a son! Hope their special day goes well. Roy, I like your new avatar and profile photo - the hair from the person in front of you makes it look like you're wearing a tutu! Big grin So nice that you run with your wife. DickyG- I like the "65-death" age group label! Mary, Bye bye to little Charlie. Cry Spareribs, sorry to hear you had a bad run. They happen. Hey, hows the puppy doing? Have any pictures? Evryday, Happy anniversary! We've been married 26 years, and our teenager is delightful. We got a keeper Smile Tim and Bruce, congrats on the great fast long runs for both of you! TomS, you're not paying attention to the smart advice of others - "I'll try to continue to take it easy and build back gradually. Oh, except for the 5K I did this morning..." Oh, well, hope it was fun. Teresa, sounds like fun to run with your kids! You're such a good role model, and your DH too! I'll post a full RR later, but wanted to add that I had a great time at my half marathon this morning. I got a PR by over 10 minutes, and I met Mtnchk and her dog Mairead. I carried Gatorade with me to avoid a repeat of my last half, and felt good the whole time. Final time 2:13:58. Smile

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

The Jogger

Carolyn, well done on a massive PR, you found out my secret, I see , the tutu Smile
                          Great Race Tammy...Don't worry about the others,you ran well!!! Sorry about the run Ribs...get back on the horse tomorrow and gallop... Well done Carolyn...
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            3 easy miles for me this late afternoon. That's two runs in a row....I might be on to something here.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            evanflein

Good 5k on light training, Tammy. Not bad at all. Hey, how close are you to McMinnville? My son will be down there next week for soccer camp. I hear it's pretty hot... Carolyn, wow, 10 minute PR on your HM! Sounds like you did an excellent job. Looking forward to the RR... Tim, nice wave run! I'd like to try that too. So far most of my long runs have been on the 3:1 fast finish plan... which can be challenging since I almost always go out too fast. I almost bailed on my run, then thought I'd do the treadmill... then realized the rain had stopped (rained all night and morning) and I had to pay the phone bill anyway... so off I went to drop it off about 5 miles away. Ended up with 10.25 miles, avg pace 8:17. The fun part was I was trying to maintain about 8 to 8:10 m/m without looking at my watch. Figured I could do this the first 8 miles or so (last two are back up the hill). Did ok, here's my splits (which I only checked after doing my walk c/d): 8:06, 7:52 8:05, 8:09, 8:06, 8:02, 8:23, 8:19, 8:40, 9:00, 8:03 for the last quarter mile. Glad I ventured outside!