Masters Running

Bill Roger's Jingle Bell Run, part Deux (Read 415 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm a little confused as to where to post, but craiG did Kick, so I'll try here. I’m beginning to like running in Somerville. Another very pleasant running experience with La T and CrAiG. Coincidence? I think not. Anyone that will offer you a free, off-street parking spot in Somerville is a special person. I knew I was at the right house when I saw a knit bird feeder in the front yard. I also got meet the SOs of both Craig and Kirsten. Very nice people and inured to Boomer nonsense. On the walk to the start we met a very charming elf who looked surprisingly like MaryT. As I anticipated, I had a nice warm-up with the Pro, and then he headed to the front and I headed for somewhere in the middle. As mentioned, there a bit of general solemnity and festivity and then we were off. I guessed 30 seconds to get to the line and was pretty close. It also didn’t take me long to realize I was a lot farther back than I needed to be to be polite. I passed a lot of people in the first mile or so. Never did see or hear any mile markers, but I think the first piece was a little slow. At the water stop, I glanced at my watch and saw 18:XX and thought “Craig should be finishing about now Big grin middle section I still seemed to be passing more than passed. The last piece dragged a little. Probably gave back a few places that I had passed earlier. The home stretch was down a nice straight bike path. Tried to kick a little, but wasn’t sure how big the backup into the finish was going to be and didn’t want to crash the line. Final results: 26:18 by my watch, 26:45 gun time. 317/870 OA, 22/40 AG. Generally happy to have moved up in OA, but I’d love to get higher in AG. BTW, Mr. Modesty was a very impressive 3rd in AG and 42nd OA. Fashion and weather report: high 30’s and cloudy, IRC. Somewhat over-dressed with Brooks GTS7, compression shorts and shirt, tights, and over shirt. (Shorts might have been pushing it, but could have done without one of the shirts). I had to miss the after race festivities as DW was doing chauffeur duty and picking up my Mom at my sister’s. Thought I was getting away with a lot without coming home smelling like beer and barbecue Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

We love Boomer RRs!!!!!! Sweet! And you got to hang with other Boomers!!!! Thanks Stumpy!

SteveP

Stumpy, Nice work, and thanks for the race report. You mentioned a water stop which of course is verboten in a 5K, so I am sure you ran right past it. Dark Horse
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
          Stumpy.....way to go! Thanks for the RR
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Dark Horse, snort! Yo, Stumpy -- do I need to teach you some shoving techniques? 1. Start farther up 2. Barrel forward, using elbows when necessary. (A broomstick can be handy, too, but most runners dont' use them in 5K's).
              Stumpy, way to go! Very good time, and sounds like fun! Merry Christmas to you and your family Smile Jem

Marathon Maniac #957

Stumpy - nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

#artbydmcbride

Great job, Stumpy! Listen to Econo, get closer to the start line and also kick like crazy right to the finish line! That's what God gave you elbows for. Smile As to your fashion questions, tights without shorts over them and one less shirt will be fine. Big grin Congratulations!

Runners run

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ilene--I would never wear shorts over the tights. Big grin DH--I guess I'll pay the fine for taking a cup of water. The middle-school volunteers were too cute to pass by.

The middle-school volunteers were too cute to pass by.
                      Good Lord, and people here think I'm bad. Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

#artbydmcbride

.....Fashion and weather report: high 30’s and cloudy, IRC. Somewhat over-dressed with Brooks GTS7, compression shorts and shirt, tights, and over shirt. .....
                        One or the other, but you didn't need both! Wink Big grin

Runners run

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

at the risk of getting in deeper, I should clarify--they were cute acting, trying to make sure that their cup got taken. And, if it's cold enough to wear tights in the first place, the boys and I greatly appreciate the extra layer Smile Taking Econo's advise, I've decided to whittle a cudgel for the next 5K. I think i"m in the AG where they're allowed.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks to MaryT, I found my race photo. As you can tell, I knew right where the photographer was standing Wink you can also see that I was not in such exclusive territory as was the Pro.

#artbydmcbride

Nice!! Big grin Keeping the boys (frank and beans!) warm is approved. - the Fashion Police

Runners run