Masters Running

Thursday October 2 (Read 34 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

HEY SEATTLE MASTERS -- I'll be in Seattle visiting DD from Oct 23 - 28.  I was looking at local races, and there are a bunch of 5ks and a trail race at Cougar Mt.   on the weekend of Oct 25-26.  Do any of you have plans that weekend for a race?

I ran 7 miles this afternoon.  We got a dusting of snow overnight but it melted pretty quick.  There's new snow on the divide, which is beautiful, especially with the aspen trees still golden.   My legs feel good - I guess because I only ran the 50 mile! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

oh Carolyn, so lucky.

You will love the finale 50K of the 2014 Cougar Mountain Trail Series Runs on 10/26.  Unfortunately, my last run there was back in ‘07 or so when the 20-miler in July was the climax run.   Enke’s more up-to-date but, except for a half mile or so sprint to the finish, I’m pretty sure everything else is Colorado-esque climbing or descending.

As I recall (but maybe not too well) the narrow trails are mostly sandy or packed soils without too much in the way of tricky rocks and roots to worry about.  However, it’s technical enough to be the race site of enke’s famed bloody knee and I was so concentrated on the trail surface that a fallen snag leaning across the trail knocked me down and out briefly.
      Oh but too bad your trip doesn't include the 11/1 date of my current favorite ultra this year at the 12-hour Fun Run on 11/1, “the hardest 12-hour out there, period” so just a wimpy 5K around Seward Park planned on 10/26 <<<(Run Scared 5K) with some regular runner friends but if it doesn’t work out, I’ll do the 20-mile Cougar option.  Maybe one of these years. yippee

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)