Masters Running

Saturday August 30 Runs and Birthday celebrations (Read 391 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Best damn run in over 2 years.
    Excellent! Spareribs, I already had that one down, but thank you. Dark Horse – great photos! Karin – can’t wait to run with you Friday. Hope you’re ready for slow, though… Undecided Btw, can you fit a cake into your suitcase? Wink PDR – that sounds dangerously delicious. TomS – remember when you posted your famous Rhubarb Crumble recipe? Tomorrow I’ll be wowing yet another cook-out crowd with that delicious taste treat. Thanks again. Tim and BCMorant – nice wave running! Rururunner – I have had runs like that, where my stooped shoes keep feeling like they’re too tight across the top, then too loose, then too tight, etc. Today was spent at the pool, and tonight is that sort of chaos that comes when both kids have friends spending the night. Hopefully I can get to sleep early enough for that 4am wake-up call to be easy. Easier anyway. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Did 4 miles today I would like to run at least the last 6 miles of my HM Monday at 9:20 pace
      huh? ya gunna do the first six at 9:00's and see what happens after that? How about 9:10 all the way? bytheway, any tapering?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Enke's self-realization about the faster pace not being much more difficult and Perch's response were noteworthy. Great comments. Speaking of Perch, glad that bony discomfort seems to have eased up. I know you will be cautious with it. Spareribs
          bruce - sounds like you had a great time at your 40th and still put in an awesome run - nice job!! PDR - those muffins sound yummy -- just made those no bake chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookies for ummm -- oh ya for the boys Wink wildchild -- son # 3 is at U Mass Lowell -- only 20 minutes from us but glad he was able to get housing - that is so part of the college experience - he's majoring in Plastics Engineering Dave - so glad you had such an awesome run -- i need one of those!! enke - you're going to rock your HM!! Dark Horse - Dark Colt is adorable - so glad you enjoyed the game last night!! Karin - love your Super Granny story too - so moving -- and CanadaJ is amazing!! me -- well - i went out and did 5.5 totally YUCKY humid miles -- just couldn't get it together at all -- son #3 was texting me the 1st mile and even tho i take my phone with me i don't usually answer it, but couldn't ignore the boy and then nothing seemed to pull together for me after that - oh well -- it was forward motion and sometimes that's the best there is -- at least i put in an hour of cardio and burned some calories -- oh and did you know if you put your garmin HR monitor on upside down it doesn't work?? lol time to get ready for work!!

denise

tetsujin - unfortunately too much tapering as I had a mild bug this week and lost a few runs. Resting HR is back to 50 (was 60 for three days), so I think I'm over it. But my resting HR was 46 last week! And thanks for your insinuation that I can run 9:10 and sub 2 hours, but I am pretty darn sure that I am not at that level....yet. It will happen someday. If anyone cares my plan is for first 3 miles @ 9:40, next 4 @ 9:30, next 6.1 @ hair is on fire pace. Holly, 4 am is never easy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

enke - wow, sounds tough like a double, or is it triple, negative splits or waterfall progression. let's reconnoiter at the start, I think doing those four Cougar Mountain Trail Runs will provide a pleasant surprise.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Holly, I was going to say the same thing Carolyn did... good luck with that 4 a.m. thing. I sure couldn't do it. Happy Birthday, Dark Horse! Guess it's for real this time. You and Dark Colt are spending some good quality time together lately. Karin, great story. And your granny's reaction provides a stark contrast to all the people who can't be bothered to vote because they feel it doesn't matter. PDR, I copied your muffin recipe, it looks great. No oil or anything, so that looks very good to me. I'm sure your long run will be fine. Our papers are full of news and reaction to our governor being picked for VP running mate. General feeling seems to be while it's cool and all, she really is very inexperienced and McCain is showing some questionable judgment with his choice. 10.5 miles of rolling hills at 8:09 avg pace. Started out a little creaky with tight shins and cold (45F at start), but I warmed up by that big hill at mile 3. Alternated 8:15 miles with 7:50 miles (+ or - a few seconds) and felt pretty good. In fact, if it weren't for my stoopid foot, I'd say like SR that I feel "super!" Long run tomorrow of 22 or so miles on the marathon course. Need to get to bed earlier tonight...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - we'll be watchin' to see if you can get the daily goin' before the beers. Smile Evanika - have a sweet last-of-the-summer run. It will be so beautiful. Start takin' as many pics as possible
                  McCain is showing some questionable judgment with his choice
                  - at least he didn't pick Senator Stevens, . . . or the governor/senator she beat. It's hard to do, especially for a woman from Wasilla (or anyone from most anywhere else), but I good a good impression when I was up there this summer that she's made a very good impression in Juneau at least.