Masters Running

Stevie Ray in The Land of the Lost (Grasslands Marathon report) (Read 213 times)

xor

On 3/21, I ran a fairly obscure trail marathon in North Texas called The Grasslands Marathon. Or in my case, The Land of the Lost. Read my long report here. I came in 28th. Might have come in about 15th without various misadventures. Hard for say. As always, I am not a good trail runner. In this case, it was more in my brain than anything else. (reports for various other races can be found via my race schedule)

usandtoto-2@msn.com

You do have a way with the words. You did come back from the Land of the Lost alive and another story to tell. I've only run one trail race and I got lost twice. Once for an extra 3 miles and the second time I gained back 1.8 miles. So I ran 27.4 miles that day. Go figure. Well, it sounds like you enjoyed the day, the location and a day of running. Hopefully, I run into you at Seattle RnR as I'm heading down to Eugene again this year. My wife is running her first marathon. Congrats on #201, @202 and #203. Take care.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

wildchild

Carolyn

Oh, man, you definitely were in the twilight zone on that race! What was the RD thinking? Using flags of a different color than the trail color sure sounds confusing, not to mention the correction loops having no color at all... Confused Running in deep sand is so hard - and for miles and miles - that really sucks the speed out of you. I think your first impression of the race was appropriate, and I don't think I'd go back again. Very interesting RR, as all of yours are. Thanks!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

#artbydmcbride

Great report! I prefer races where you can't get lost. Smile

Runners run

hey Stevie Ray, talk about embracing the suck...what a confusing course! I'm glad you found your way eventually. I have never liked trail running when I don't know the course because the people who do know the course aren't very helpful (they're ahead of me) and what they think is "clearly marked" is not always clear to me. Anyway, you're right, it's always good to process your thoughts about a race for a while before writing a report.
            xor

To some folks, getting lost on a trail run is a badge of honor (courage too, perhaps?). Kind of like bleeding is a red badge of courage. I'm not that fond of either one, frankly. So there's two reasons why I am the world's worst trail runner. Still though, it was very nice being in the sunshine and 70 degrees. My race this weekend will be 31 at the start. Great for some. Not me!

Marathon Maniac #957

You know, I read this the other day at work, then afterward I got interested in your blog, then I decided I wanted a blog of my own, so then I spent the rest of the afternoon creating and playing with various aspects of the blog, and I completely forgot about replying to your report. So here goes. I have a thing about getting lost. I hate to get lost. It makes me very stressed. And in that situation, out on trails, I would have most certainly have gotten stressed. And it would have gotten in the way of me enjoying that beautiful day, too. You have a much better outlook about it, but I would have been spitting teeth at the lack of clear directions. Still, another one under your belt... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."