Masters Running

Thursday 9/18/14 (Read 35 times)

mrrun

fyi - the snakes have all moved to colorado to haunt wildchild - no more around here.  boston specializes in rats and 2-legged coyotes

evanflein

I dunno, Trackrat... I'm still seeing 80% chance of rain at 8 a.m., but at least it's saying "light showers" instead of "steady rain."  <sigh> After so many beautiful days in a row this month, it is just a shame it couldn't hold out one more stoopid day. Oh well. I'll have support at 7.2 (Black Sheep Ln) and 20.5 (Henderson Rd) and maybe on Goldhill. Still wondering what to wear.

Twocat, we bundle up to go outside in the winter. Much preferable to living in A/C lockdown in sweltering summers in some parts of the country. When in Scottsdale and Dallas, I notice there are not many people out and about in the daytime. Everyone is holed up in their A/C whether at home, office, car, store... I guess it's not much different other than you can always add layers, but there's a limit to what you can take off!  Smile

No snakes here, either.

Rest day today. Bib pick up tonight.

Nice long runs for Twocat and marj.

This morning, it was in the high40s and there was just a light breeze.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:00 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

C-R

I can handle rats and coyotes.

Missed the race start by 5 minutes so just ran a relaxed pace. 24 minutes and some good conversation at the finish area.

Turning in early tonight.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I dunno, Trackrat... I'm still seeing 80% chance of rain at 8 a.m., but at least it's saying "light showers" instead of "steady rain."  <sigh> After so many beautiful days in a row this month, it is just a shame it couldn't hold out one more stoopid day. Oh well. I'll have support at 7.2 (Black Sheep Ln) and 20.5 (Henderson Rd) and maybe on Goldhill. Still wondering what to wear.

Twocat, we bundle up to go outside in the winter. Much preferable to living in A/C lockdown in sweltering summers in some parts of the country. When in Scottsdale and Dallas, I notice there are not many people out and about in the daytime. Everyone is holed up in their A/C whether at home, office, car, store... I guess it's not much different other than you can always add layers, but there's a limit to what you can take off!  Smile

No snakes here, either.

Rest day today. Bib pick up tonight.

The showers on the 1st were supposed to be light and we got a recordbreaking 2". I am hopeful, but fearing the worst. I'm going to have support at 9, maybe 11.5 and also at 20 and will have them bring extra shirts and jackets. Easier for a guy to whip off a shirt mid race and change. Dang, I wanted good weather this year, not a slog.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Erika and Trackrat--I really hope the forecast is wrong for you guys.

I went for my last "tough" workout before the VT50.  2 easy miles, 3 miles at MP, and 2 easy miles for a total of 7 miles in 51:33.

Speaking of the VT50...I received an email from the RD...I have until tomorrow to switch to the 50K...it sure is tempting...

Okay--that's it--gotta go!  See ya!

Wow - lots going on here!!

I survived the night shift ok, but the ride home not so fun!!  Traffic going in and out is much worse for the night crew too - there was something going on at Fenway last night so the commute was rough!!  I stayed up to go to church and prayer group like I usually do on Thursdays, but by noon it was all I could do to crawl into my bed -- felt disgusting when I woke up at 4:30 and have a touch of vertigo Sad  Still managed to run fairly strong at my track Montessori program, but am tired of fighting the spins and heading up to bed!!  I have to say staying awake most of Friday & Saturday, running 3 relay legs, and grabbing a few hours of sleep on a van seat was way easier --- or maybe it was just the way more fun factor!!

Wish I could comment on each and everyone of your posts but know I read them and hold you all in my heart and thoughts!!

Goodnight!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I can handle rats and coyotes.

Missed the race start by 5 minutes so just ran a relaxed pace. 24 minutes and some good conversation at the finish area.

Turning in early tonight.

Didn't follow my advice..........................................

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Didn't follow my advice..........................................

sadly no. I'm too much of a Boy Scout.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

BTY - you are really cranking it up - nice effort.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.  Here's another update - the swelling has been receding, and the pain has subsided (but still there).  I have a physical therapy session tonight at 6.  I tried a 40 minute spin class today.  If I felt anything bad, I was going to stop.  I didn't push it during class, but made it through unscathed.  I hope I can rebuild stamina through spinning - it seems to be a different impact on the hip than running.  Wish me luck.

BTY

Good Luck PBJ!

Total of 5.3 miles today including a 4.75 mile progression run that started just slower than 9:00 mile pace and ended just faster than 8:00 pace.   It was a nice progression that is definitely going into the log as Progression Run instead of an Easy Run (progressing through the zone).  When I first started out it really didnt seem like I'd ever get any turnover, and if it turned out to be a nice recovery jog on a BDIA (Beautiful Day in Albania), then so be it.  But mile 2 was in 8:40, mile 3 in 8:20, mile 4 in 8:16, and the last 3/4 miles were in 5:58, right around 7:57 pace.    I've been checking my HR regularly, usually around 3 and 4 miles into a run, on my monitor, and it typically peaks around 161 to 165.  Today it only got to 154 at 4 miles and finally peaked just below 160 after finishing up.  If it had been 10 points higher I certainly would've understood that.

I'm now off for the weekend.  I already had my birthday party, so I'm planning some "me" time, doing the nerdy things I like to do, like watching "It's a Wonderful Life" on dvd, going for a nice long run, going out for Pizza with my wife, and maybe going for Fish Fries (the long skinny breaded fish filet  in a hot dog roll type of FF, as we do them in these here parts) tonight with my wife and any of my kids that aren't working.  Oooo, I may get to plant a nice burning bush out by the end of my driveway if I can find some good ones on sale.....

The next time I come into the office, I'll be OLD.

BTY (BirThdaY boy Smile )  Brian

Marathon Maniac #957

BTY - you are really cranking it up - nice effort.

+1

PBJ - wishing you luck!

Mike - looking at the photo in the VT50 newsletter, looks like a lot of vests going on there.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."