Masters Running

Wonderful Wednesday 8/22 Runs (Read 375 times)

SLO, it doesn't seem possible that CO2 is a smaller molecule than N2 and O2 (air).  There might be a reason it gets out of the tire, but I don't think size can be right.  Where is Perch to answer this?

Tim, I can't add anything more to what the others said.  {{{}}}

Opie, running is a really cool drug, eh?

Up late (no alarm), but did 6.2 miles anyway.  60F, overcast, a bit sweaty.  Hopefully this will be a 30 mile week.  Instead of running up the stairs and gravel path from the middle school track (where I tripped 2 or was it 3 times before?), I took the new wheelchair ramp up from the field instead.  Much better idea.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SLO, it doesn't seem possible that CO2 is a smaller molecule than N2 and O2 (air).  There might be a reason it gets out of the tire, but I don't think size can be right.  Where is Perch to answer this?

Who needs Perch when we have Google?  Okay, here goes:

"CO2 molecules are more permeable and soluable in butyl rubber than other molecules in air. Thus when a tube is filled with air, the CO2 molecules will tend to permeate and leak through the rubber faster than the other components of other gases in the air. This leaves other gasses such as Nitrogen and Oxygen (amongst others) to linger around longer. When a tube is filled with just CO2, the rate of leakage is the same as that of the CO2 leaking out through the tube filled with air but since there's only CO2 to leak, the tube will go flat faster."

"BTW, CO2 doesn't necessarily leak through rubber faster because of its size but because of how the molecules in rubber attract CO2 better than Oxygen or Nitrogen. As a result, the CO2 permeates the rubber which then swells and thus allows more molecules to escape."

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Has anyone tried filling tires with H2O?

Slo

Ok...I stand corrected. But the point I was making was still correct.

Opie, running is a really cool drug, eh?

Up late (no alarm), but did 6.2 miles anyway.  60F, overcast, a bit sweaty.  Hopefully this will be a 30 mile week.  Instead of running up the stairs and gravel path from the middle school track (where I tripped 2 or was it 3 times before?), I took the new wheelchair ramp up from the field instead.  Much better idea.

Your mileage seems to be coming up!  Maybe it's not a drug, maybe we're just feeling the strength of our mind, body & spirit joining together, doing something we're meant to do.  That's my rough summary of the book I just read, Running with the MInd of Meditation.  Or maybe it's a really cool drug.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Leslie, you don't have any nearby woods?  Or even ornamental shrubbery?  Wink

Or construction sites, soccer fields, baseball fields, schools with unlocked port-a-potty? My routes these days usually have locations committed to memory... Wink

Tim:  So sorry. Hope you get an answer or at least closure.  It is never easy even with reasons.

Great running/training today all, I am hoping to do 8 miles after work today.  May try to sneak out a little early so I can get home before sunset. Wink

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the heartfelt responses !

No, this had nothing to do with her son, as she's about had it with him and is trying to give full custody to his father. He's a very difficult child, and doesn't really want to live with his mother or dad. He's currently asking to live with his grandmother....the only person he gets along with (sorta) Donna was actually amazed that her son was starting to accept me, and would talk to me a little at times.....she said he doesn't like anyone. I know positively her son wasn't the issue.

She never broke up with me before, but our distance apart became a issue because of my surgery, and how long it took me to recover from that. Then combined with my job loss, we couldn't see each other like we wanted too. We both agreed that if we had lived closer back then, we wouldn't have had the issues that our distance apart caused. Once I felt good again, I was able to drive and be with her most all the time, then that's when we became very very close and fell even more deeply in love. I will admit though, that I was freaking out back then, and feeling like I was losing her. But that worked itself out.....

I just want her to talk to me and explain what happened, then maybe I can understand.....but how does she explain away what she did - and how she did it ? The only thing she ever said to me that was a small problem with her, is that I was too clean. I liked doing the dishes and cleaning up around her house, and I most certainly figured any woman would like that. I backed off that a little, but maybe not enough. We had such a wonderful time in the kitchen, as she loved the fact that I helped her cook meals......she didn't know she would meet a man who would share that with her.

I'm sorry. But I can still hear the way she said she loved me the last time I was with her - how she gazed into my eyes, and mine into her's - she held me like she didn't want to let me go - said she would miss me till we see each other again -  and she said we would be together forever. That's the way it went, the last time I left her...............I told her that she was the most beautiful woman ever  - and I truly meant that every time I said it (still do)

On a more positive note - I ran 13 easy miles after my morning post here......just shy of 2 hours. All my runs are easy right now, as I have an achilles that's been sore....felt fine today. Sad too, because I was helping Donna to run her first marathon this fall, and she was doing great with her training.

Think I will run again tonight - just because

Sorry, I'll stop......just nice to vent sometimes - ya know ?

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Or construction sites, soccer fields, baseball fields, schools with unlocked port-a-potty? My routes these days usually have locations committed to memory... Wink

Nope.  Nothing.  Nada.  The closest bathroom is at about 4 miles out where Safeway (which was my old bathroom stop a mile from home) moved to.  There's absolutely nowhere to hide, except an alley now and then with the rest of the kooks out at 4:30/5:00 in the morning.  I may have to start joining them.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I've also noted that behavior: a tire filled with CO2 leaks down much more rapidly than one filled with air.

By the way, you were mentioned in a recent article in Scientific American about the source of "joy" in the brain. Yes, it said that enkephalin is an opioid made in the brain which triggers production of another substance that they called the brain's marijuana!

And here I thought that you were just getting high on endorphins... Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Has anyone tried filling tires with H2O?

...and

this would be a Good Idea because__________

=====

.90min hiking, 30-min poolrun

lace-up brace worked Perfectly, NoBackPain

am currently

exploring S&M websites for

those all-leather outfits,

which

I suspect could double as a Full Body Brace......................just a thought

.....................good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

..ok,

turns out that was NOT what I plan on buying.....

am re-setting

Content Filters

on my computer.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

imz in your brain......making you stoned......  Wish I could find an LOL cat photo for that.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I've also noted that behavior: a tire filled with CO2 leaks down much more rapidly than one filled with air.

All the things I learn from my RAfamily

Big grin.

Opie, what Enkie said about running!

{{{Timbo}}}

When I grow up I wanna have legs as Holly! What a smoking race you had last weekend, gf.

10 miles this early morning. This was my first run in the dark. The sunrise was AWEsome!!!!

Off to a meeting at the local winery. Being mid-week, I think I will indulge myself with a glass of their best redWink.

Busy work days around here, too.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

I'll take some of those beans Mariposai. Nothing did very well in my garden this year. Even the tomatoes were "iffy."

Yup - me too.

First day of school, so only 2.25 miles for me this morning in between getting up and out, packing lunches and feeding breakfast,  the two on different bus schedules.  We'll get more organized quickly.

Work is crazy and the kids' soccer is taking my evenings, so I'll cut this short tonight...g'night...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TomW - Big grin

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance