Masters Running

Tue Jan 22 Runs and such (Read 540 times)

nice runs boomer/masters!! 35 degrees here today - even with the wind felt better than a few days ago - planned to do some speedwork on the treadmill, but the outdoors was calling me more and i decided to take a route with some rolling hills - i live in a fairly flat area so need to drive to get any decent hills and just didn't feel like getting in the car 6.86 miles 1:05:37 avg pace 9:34min/miles avg HR 164 - calories burned 726 now more stretching then off to visit a new baby before i go to work for the night!! HAPPY TUESDAY!!

denise

...and the good running continues for folks. Holly, 7:30 is more like my half marathon pace. Today's workout (a track speed workout on the road) was supposed to be about consistency. While I try to be even more disciplined about that in my tempo and marathon pace runs, my coach wants me to be as consistent as possible no matter what the pace focus entails. She knows I am impatiently ambitious ( I always ran the anchor leg for relays) and is always working on my ability to "feel" pace. In this training cycle we are working on getting marathon pace below 7:55 and perhaps down to 7:45 by the time a Fall marathon rolls around again. I nailed 7:55 through mile 22 at Hartford in October and then slowed, but only to 8 minutes. If I am not spastic during each workout (my story today) I have a shot at it. It's awesome to have my former college coach pushing me this way. I don't pay her, but probably should for being brutally honest with me. I won't be getting an "atta girl" for today's run and that's spot on. Blush When life is good, my 5k pace is 7:00, 10k is 7:15-7:20, half marathon pace is 7:33-7:38. Erika! Nice racing! I went back and looked at yesterday's thread and saw your post. Catalina Island is gorgeous and you chose a perfect time of year for a little break from the cold. Travel safe and post your report soon! CNY
        26F and sunny here in the PNW. Managed 3.8 miles of run/walk. This run/walk stuff is starting to pay off as my times are getting faster and my HR doesn't spike as high. I'm also injury free so far. Hope the rest of you can get outdoors to run.
        Have you got a flag?

Manchild

Raining here and I was in a hurry to see tha Varsity girls BBall game at the HS so I ran 3 easy on the treadmill at 1.5 % incline at a 9:38-9:21 pace. Nice nights Boomasters! Chris OUT
            It was below zero here (Black Hills) at sunrise, so look out, all youse to the east. Same. Boring. Routine. Sat: nearly an hour and a half on eliptical for "9" eliptical miles. Sun: an hour for about 7--this was good as the Patriots were making me very nervous in the first half, so at least I had something to do during the second half. Mon: weights Tues: 5+ more of these phoney miles (I don't count 'em in my log). It (the ankle) only hurts when I do the stretch the PT gave me. I'm thinkin' I'll just stop doing the stretch! .......only kidding....... Glad y'all are here and posting on your runs. I live vicariously thru you, so hope you are enjoying yourselves! grins, A
            Masters 2000 miles
            Mariposai

Nice runs boomers/masters!!!!!!!!!!!! Great run today and great race to Erika. Enjoy the sun. As for me... I am stuck in Chicago O"Hore. I missed my flight to S.A. last night due to to the bad weather. I had to find a hotel to hang out for 24 hours before the next flight to my destination departs. In my imagination I was thinking to be in Paraguay already, but oh well. Que sera, sera. The hotel were I am staying has a nice fitness room so I was able to fit in 12 miles on the TM. I am so glad that I did pack my running gear in my carry on luggage. I am taking off now to the airport once again to wait for my 7 pm flight. Adios amigos.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

munchkn883

Didn't get out today. Started the morning off at the oncologist for my treatment and then a haircut and wonderful massage. Weather was icky. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow.
                wildchild

Carolyn

Aamos, hoping you and the others on the sick and injured list will heal quickly and get back to running! Although you keep throwing in marathon wins between the phoney miles... Wink Erika, way to go on another BQ marathon at Carlsbad! My family and I went to Catalina Island about 5 years ago for spring break, and enjoyed it so much we recommended it as a location for a family reunion the following year to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. Their anniversary is in January, and we all live in cold places, so we thought meeting somewhere warm would be nice. And you feel like you're really away from everything, even though you're only an hour off the coast. Have you looked into the Catalina Marathon? Kind of hilly... Holly, way to be stubborn! It's not always a bad trait. I forgot a hat today, so I waited till 1 pm till it was above freezing, and went for a great 6.5 mile run on a dirt trail near the office. It's on open space land on the high plains and has a great view of the mountains, although its so exposed the wind is kind of brutal. Overall pace 10:00, although I'm sure that was slower into the wind and faster with the wind at my back! I don't wear a watch or garmin, so I time my runs by looking at the clock in my car (or house or office) at the beggining and end. So I only ever know average pace, except when I run on the indoor track at the rec center. Hope you all get outside for runs today!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

3 easy miles @10:10 pace. 30F and no wind...beautiful. Good runs to all Masters...Go Boom!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      4 miles at what I consider a tempo type run. 1st mile at just under 10 then four at around 8s for a total 34 and some change. Cant help but think that that is my BQ pace. My marathon pace right now is between 8.5 and 9 minute miles leaning more toward the 9s. I will re evaluate this after a 1/2 i have penciled in in march my marathon will be in May. I plan on a 8 minute mile pace for the half and we will see how it goes. I hope to at least break 4 hours for my first marathon so that I am at least in striking distance of a BQ for the fall so anything I can shave in this one will help. Sounds like a lot of "California Dreamin on such a winters day" Good runs everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

GreenMan

Hey runners, It has warmed enough to give us rain and sleet most of the day. I did some XT and 5 recovery just before dark JJJ
                        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I missed my flight to S.A. last night due to to the bad weather. I had to find a hotel to hang out for 24 hours before the next flight to my destination departs. .
                          uhmmmm, . . . 24 hours,..... you been talkin' to arf? bring some of the tropics back for us. chicago - 16F (feels like 1) ascunsion (1am) - 79F (feels like 83) / Wed Jan 23 87°/75°

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Finally in my hotel room in Las Vegas... I got a "free upgrade" and oh boy, I guess so. This room is huge, the bathroom is bigger than my kitchen!! Pretty cool stuff... but no microwave or fridge. It's apparently one of their "7 Star" deluxe rooms, no idea why I got it. But must seem pretty funny to have little ol' me here in this room with my box of triscuits and tubs of yogurt, asking for a fridge. They said to use the ice bucket, so I did. Lovely bathroom amenities... wow. DH and I did about 3 miles of walk/jog/run this morning. He was in pretty rough shape with sore knees and quads. Gotta get that guy running more! I felt good, but my shins are sore. Couldn't figure out why, shouldn't have been the hill running we did the day before. Then afterwards I slipped into my sandals and "ow!" there it was. Nice moderately high heeled sandals I haven't worn in months, walked all over Avalon in them day before and ohhh, sure felt it the next day. Rats. Hope I didn't hurt anything, but they sure are sore! We were walking back to the hotel after getting coffee post-run, and an elderly couple stopped us with a smile, "Are you folks from Alaska??" (we were wearing tanks and shorts, they had jackets and gloves on) and we said "Why yes we are!" It was pretty funny, surprised that gentleman when he realized we weren't joking! Deb, I try to link races to conferences/meetings/whatever so someone with deeper pockets than I can pick up the airfare!! It's only worked this time for me, last month was a business trip for dh, but since he works for himself, it was no relief on costs!
                            Cashmason

What hotel are you staying at Erika? Vegas can be nice mid week. Nice workout Holly. You do have that stubborn streak it seems. Just like a lot of runners we both know. 1 hour spin, 2 mile brick run then 1100 yards swimming. Then a good friend I haven't seen in 10 years called. We went out to dinner. Had a great time. Nice run PDR. Note to self: Do not challenge Dark Horse to a pushup or pull up contest. Maybe challenge him to a bike ride through Santiago Canyon when the winds exceed 35 miles an hour.
                              evanflein

Cash, I'm at Caesars Palace... very gauche.