Masters Running

more advice sought - help me beat the heat (Read 356 times)

coastwalker

I also have a hard time dealing with heat and humidity. If it is too nasty out, I'll jump on my bike and do some cross-training that day. If you can, get your workouts in early in the morning. I'm out there at 4:30am, which is just as the sun is coming over the horizon now. Even then, I can feel the difference in the temperature before and after the sun rises. You seem to be well aware of this, but I'll say it anyway: Hydrate all the time, no just before, during and immediately after a workout. On humid days, you just have to slow down to keep your body cool. On those days, forget about speedwork, and just get your mileage in. Once you get acclimated to the heat, you'll really notice the difference between humid and dry days. Use the weather to help you decide what kind of workout to go for. Don't worry - cooler weather is only 4-5 months away! Big grin Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

So, by all means, bring it on. What do you do to stay motivated - and safe - during hot-weather running? Wink
      Eliz, Lots of great advice on staying safe while running in the heat in this thread. I must admit, my "ice in the cap" thunder was stolen early on Confused As a fellow Delaware Valleyan (er) (ite), I feel your pain about the heat, but more so the humidity. This may sound goofy, but here is my secret to motivation when walking out into 85-90% humidity, no matter what time of day... The fruit smoothie To me, there are few things better in the world than cooling down with the post-run smoothie (The first beer coming off the beach is one, and I'll leave the rest up to imagination.) Wink I can't offer any better safety advice than what's been said, so there's my $.02. Give it a try - it's kept my feet shuffling on some nasty H&H days.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

eliz, lilmissrosie is interning at the nuclear power plant here, just across the river actually. Last week she forwarded this daily safety message: Daily Safety Message for 05/29/08 Safety Success Days 21 Heat Acclimation Heat Acclimation is one of the best defenses against heat stress injury and heat related fatalities. Heat Acclimation is achieved by gradually increasing exposure and physical activity in hot weather. Heat acclimatization occurs when repeated heat exposures are sufficiently stressful to elevate body temperature and provoke perfuse sweating. Resting in the heat, with limited physical activity to that required for existence, results in only partial acclimatization. Physical exercise in the heat is required to achieve optimal heat acclimatization for that exercise intensity in a given hot environment. Workers who only perform light or brief physical work will achieve the level of heat acclimatization needed to perform that task. If they attempt a more strenuous or prolonged task, additional acclimatization and improved physical fitness will be needed. Complete heat acclimatization requires up to 14 days with a minimum daily heat exposure of about two hours. The benefits of heat acclimatization will be retained for about 1 week and then decay with about 75 percent lost by about 3 weeks, once heat exposure ends. A day or two of intervening cool weather will not interfere with acclimatization to hot weather. During acclimatization the systems of the body adapt to heat exposure at varying rates. During the first 5 days an improved control of cardiovascular function occurs. During the first 8 days the body goes through a body core temperature adjustment. During the acclimatization process the body chemistry changes as it learns to conserve minerals normally lost through sweat and urine. Sweating response becomes earlier and greater. Better cooling is achieved as blood flows closer to the skin. Total Benefits of Heat Acclimatization include improved thermal comfort, improved exercise performance, reduced core temperature, earlier and greater sweating, earlier skin blood flow, lower body heat production, lower heart rate, improved thirst; reduced salt loses, and improved organ protection. Employers should be observant of new workers who may not have had much exposure to the heat and exercise. Also employees who have been moved from a cool environment may need to go through the acclimation process. A list of hot weather recommendations from OSHA's fact sheet: • Wear light-colored clothes to see ticks more easily. • Drink small amounts of water frequently. • Wear light-colored, loose-fitting, breathable clothing—cotton is good. • Take frequent short breaks in cool shade. • Eat smaller meals before work activity. • Avoid caffeine and alcohol or large amounts of sugar. • Work in the shade. • Find out from your health care provider if your medications and heat don’t mix. • Know that equipment such as respirators or work suits can increase heat stress.
        LaVita
          Cooling bandanas, something along the lines of this http://www.coolbandanas.com/ are very helpful. Used one for the first time last year when running in the Trinity Alps. Made a big difference. Will be using mine at SOB in Ashland in August, which will be much warmer than this Northern CA girl is used to. Some of the bandanas have slits and you can either soak them in cold water first or put ice in the slit and it will melt and keep you cool. Good luck!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

La Vita - thanks for the thorough info. Leslie - those cool bandanas look really, well, cool! I got a running hat yesterday that's pretty darn cool as well. It's by Brooks - white mesh with black under the brim to reduce glare and - get this - silver threads across the top to (supposedly) draw heat away from my exceptionally hot head. It looks pretty awesome, if I must say so myself. And it feels like wearing air - but that makes me wonder: does wearing it make me an airhead? Wink Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

And it feels like wearing air - but that makes me wonder: does wearing it make me an airhead? Wink Eliz
              Um - - no comment . . . Tongue

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance