Masters Running

Rainy Race SATURDAY 1-9-16 (Read 42 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

omedetou on your race mikeE

No matter how bad it gets, it's never as bad as millions of others are suffering everyday and our misery has a very quick light at the end of the tunnel.  Whenever it's really bad, I think of Bataan and how if i slow down or quit, I'll be shot and killed. We are very lucky to be able to run, not matter how slowly and how miserable, aren't we?

it's 5am over here Sunday morning and I'm off to the annual New Year's Marathon with members of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club I ran with at last October's Portland Marathon and others, including MikeMP who said he's just planning on a leisurely 42.195 km in about four hours.  Not my definition of leisure anymore though, if ever.  I thought all my meetings were over but a last minute one got on the agenda today before returning tomorrow (Monday) so I'll be doing the half mary and let mike do the rest.

ps - it's gunna be sunny and in the high forties / low fifties

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

'' Hip rotation: Stand still with your feet slightly apart and swing your arms vigorously, bringing them close to but not over to the center line of your body in the front and fairly far back behind you. You should feel your hip turning (rotating) slightly as you swing your arms. That is the kind of hip rotation you want to achieve when racewalking. And yes, you do have to do that arm swing thing: arm bent at 90 degrees, swing back almost to be able to reach into a back pocket, and keep the swing in front short but still powerful (if you swing too far out front, you'll throw off your center of gravity, and that won't help). A quick and powerful arm swing helps create a quick and powerful leg swing, and that helps generate speed. Much more so than with running, a good arm swing is an integral part of racewalking.''

thanks jay///........I just tried it in the house, didn't pull any muscles, so I'll give it a shot tomorrow,

,,,,,,,I'll be on a trail,

but it should still work, right??

it actually sounds like a Combination Exercise, and I prefer those

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

If she waits until tomorrow then half of my grandchildren will share the same birthday! She does.not.want.that.

Wow - what are the odds of that?  Hope all goes well, and feel free to post a picture.

MikeE - you are ROCK STAR!  8th OA, 1/55 in your AG - wow!

Rose - you have a lifetime exemption on overposting here.  Happy Birthday to your DD!

I had planned on doing my LR on Sunday, since DD had a basketball game this morning and the weather was supposed to be rain today and tonight, clearing by tomorrow morning.  Then, I woke up to an unexpected 48 degrees, no rain, and now there is rain/sleet/snow/wind forecast for tomorrow all morning.  Carp.  Stoopid weather people.

At any rate, I couldn't resist such lovely weather to switch out my LR to today, even though I had not really fueled well last night and didn't have enough time before DD's game to get as many miles as I wanted, but still managed 12.4 miles before the game/

We did not win, but DD played almost the whole game.  I love to watch that girl play.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E I have gone to both Boston and Amsterdam and bailed on the race due to injuries. I have never bailed on one due to rain. I run very few marathons, so each is a target race. I would run one in the rain if I was healthy. For non-target races, like this was for you I would not have run it with the rain coming down. Word on the street is that you did just great! Congratulations!

I quit. I had really high hopes that my run today would go just fine. I have been totally pain free for days now. Stairs, heel drops, you name it and nothing hurt. I got to about the 1 mile mark. Quit and walked home. My Achilles is not healed up. Maybe quite further from healed than I had even imagined. I might try to see an orthopedist next week. To what end? Truth is, nobody can do anything to speed this along other than my own cells. I am pretty sure my end of February marathon is shot. I am not giving up quite yet, but soon.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello again!

I'm heading back home but stopped to get my Burger King fix.  I'm glad I don't have a craving for these things all the time.

The severe weather held off and it was just a light rain at the start.  As I was heading out of town, the rain picked up and I drove by those poor people still out there.

Thanks for your nice comments.  If I was told, before the race that I would take 8th overall and win my age group, I would have said that I would take that in a second.  I really don't know what happened, but I was running and feeling great.  I went through the half in 1:28 and was comfortably in 5th place.  And, then--between mile 14 and 15, I went straight instead of turning right.  A cop finally came flying after me and turned me around.  So that big hill I had just flown down...I had to go back up.  I was not happy.  I figure it was about .4 miles.  One of these days, I'll just run a marathon with no drama.  Anyway.,,I believe my official time wa 3:05:50.  I peaked at my watch when I had 26.2 miles on the Garmin and said 3:00:52.  Oh well...time to get ready for the next 4.

Okay--gotta get back on the road!

Oh--Twocat--look into prolo therapy.  It's the only reason I'm able to run, today.

....HEY TWOCAT///...have you tried taping??.....here's a video that helped me,

just open the laces on your shoe a little....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQZj1SZkOM

eta-

Great Racing mikeE///////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats, Mike!  Well done!

And happy birthdays to Lilmissrosie and to Starr's newest grandchild.

Cold and snowy here, just perfect for a fat ass run with my ultra tribe!  I didn't do the whole route, because I was feeling the altitude after being at sea level for 2 weeks, but I ran 18.5 miles, and climbed 4 peaks (Mt Sanitas, Flagstaff Mt, Green Mt, and Bear Peak).  And I made a new friend who I ran out with - she lived near the trail and offered me a ride back to my car at the start.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tet, yes we are lucky to be able to run! Have fun in the half mary. Great job on your race, Mike! Thanks for the sympathy for the Vikings fans, Jlynne, I won’t be there but know several who will be. Been there – done that! Erika, a month without rest in the arctic winter? Are you nuts? How much daylight do you have now?

Well, It’s a boy! Brock Isaac, over nine pounds, no official weight yet. His older brother, Brody will be 5 tomorrow (and GS Jackhenry will be 7). Big sister, Addison is just 2 and will be the spoiled only girl from now on in that family. Both of our kids had a boy, a girl, then a boy. I will post a picture when I get one.

Tomorrow I have an opening at the Art Center showing some of the quilts I have made. Actually, I took some quilts made by my mom and grandmother too. I even made the Daily Globe today if anyone is interested.  It starts at 1:00 so I may be late depending on how the Vikings game is going!

http://www.dglobe.com/lifestyles/people/3920380-quilters-dual-exhibits-put-spotlight-textile-arts

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Dave59

There is a winter storm warning in my former home in Michigan, but today I had a nice shorts & t-shirt run of 6 miles.  Temps were in the 50's here.

Today, Cindy bought a car. A dark red, 2013 Buick something or other (I think it starts with a "V".)  I guess it is partially my car too.

I spent my Christmas money at the local running store on a pair of New Balance 1080v5. I wore those on my run today and they felt good.

Congratulations on a nice race MikeE.

Mariposai

Well, It’s a boy! Brock Isaac, over nine pounds, no official weight yet. His older brother, Brody will be 5 tomorrow (and GS Jackhenry will be 7). Big sister, Addison is just 2 and will be the spoiled only girl from now on in that family. Both of our kids had a boy, a girl, then a boy. I will post a picture when I get one.

Welcome to Brock Isaac!!! and congrats to the whole family.

Star, you are such a gifted quilter. I do a little bit of quilting, but not to the caliber of yours!!!

Congrats to MikeE on his stellar marathon! You are one speedy runner.

Twocat, so very sad about your tendon issue.

RCG, you can post all you want. We missed you around here for too long.

Tetsujin209, enjoy seeing Mike and his lovely wife. Give them a hug for me, please!!!!

Well, today was a second 20 miler for me during this marathon cycle. My heart was not in it at all, but I knew that I had to get it done and did not want to waste a good weather to run long. I did find a nicely plowed, low traffic county loop. 21 miles of running for my wings, then I pampered myself with a manicure and pedicure.

Cheers,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Nuts? Me? Hahaha... well, maybe. Starr, sometimes focusing on something like running every day for a stretch really helps the time pass. We're up to 4:34 for daylight (that's sunup to sundown) but we have almost 8 hours of "visible light" with our really long twilights. Today the sun set at 3:15 but it was still light enough to see fine at 4. The problem is the drivers can't see me so well without reflective stuff or a light, so because I didn't have either of those, that pretty much put an end to my run for the day. Which was fine.

Congratulations on the new grandson! Very cool names for those kids. And your quilts are gorgeous, saw that pic on FB this morning.

Coming back to say nice long run for Mariposai! What and when is your next marathon? Is it Wenatchee?

I had sort of the opposite weather experience Holly had. All week the forecast was for low 20's today and cooler tomorrow. So, I was thinking I'd get my longer run in today, and run shorter tomorrow. Well, wouldn't you know it, it never really did warm up much. It was between 5° and 9° for my run today, but I was dressed for it. Other than my eyelashes icing up a few times and my face getting cold running into the breeze (coming from the west), I was fine. Stuck to the plan for a longer run though, because I felt good and wanted to get it out of the way.

14.55 miles at 8:18 average pace, with a few stops for stoplights and de-icing.

5 miles at  Cougar Mtn.  My body felt really good, first time in at least a month or more - no knee pain after a few walk/run segments to warm up. I am cautiously hopeful.

My road bike arrives next week. Her name is "Gigi".  I need to go by some clip shoes and a jacket.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - great article! That is an awesome talent!

Mariposai - nice LR!

Erika - brrrrr...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."