Masters Running

40s On the Run - March, Lamb or Lion? (Wk of 03/02/08) (Read 465 times)

flatland mountaineer

17 degrees F, light snow 4.1 miles 10:30ish pace not counting the little bathroom stop from too much coffee in the middle of the road (try doing that in downtown Palm Springs Wink). Just wants to stay winter here this week, suppose to warm up some next week. I am shooting for Bolder Boulder so have approx 12 weeks. Jonathon the Run Times editor is my unoffcial coach and wants me to get in good mileage weeks for now. Lots of crud going on around here too with some pretty otherwise healthy people getting taken down for a week at a time.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hi Folks, Arla-hope you're feeling better.I have somehow managed to avoid the crud that's going around but alot of folks have not been that lucky.I have been washing my hands until they are blue and don't touch any doorknobs!To answer your question:yes,I have 3 more 20 milers in my plan Shocked I hope that they get easier,but not counting on it! Leslie-nice page you have there.Pivo is good.To paraphrase Ben Franklin "pivo is proof that God loves us and wants us to be Happy!" Hope your knee feels better. R2-way to go with the running plan.Good Luck!Hope the weather warms up for you. Working on an upgrade tonight but TGIF anyway!

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone, so far I've managed to stay healthy-no colds or bee stings. It got up to 45 today but I guess that's not warm enough for the bees to come out yet. Got my long run done this afternoon-22m. Joe-right now I'm getting ready for Boston. I'm going to New Bedford, MA for a half marathon on 3/16. It will be my first race as a master! I turn 40 on the 15th! So I need Leslie (and whomever else wants to) to go out and have a drink for me because I'll be riding in a van with 12 other runners going to a race on my birthday! Confused And after Boston I will be getting ready for some ultras- the Ultimate XC Challenge in Jay, VT in July (33m) and my first 100m-the Iroquois Trail 100 near Ithaca, NY at the end of September with some shorter races in between. My SO Jack and I just entered our names in the Mt Washington Road race lottery and we'll be going to Utah forthe Wasatch Front 100 which Jack got into. I'm support crew! Have a great weekend! Kelly
        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
          Kelly - I'll definitely have a drink for you! The Half Mari will be a drop in the bucket for you compared to the other races you have coming up. A 100-miler trail run. I'm just hoping I can get through my first 50k in May! I have a 30k coming up in 2 weeks just a few months north of San Fran - Pirates Cove through www.pctrailruns.com. The one year anniversary of my first trail run event. My how time flies. Are you posting in the trail running group, as well? Just be sure to give a report after your race - the good, bad, and the outfits. Big grin Leslie

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

A short little run for me today trying to work in a fourth day. No blizzard in the forecast for tommorow, actually looks very good for a lr.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

No blizzard in the forecast for tommorow
              I don't believe I have ever used those words in my life. Wink 3-hour trail run today. Went better than last week, but I'm still having trouble managing my nutrition while running. Realized that on top of not drinking enough, I've been mixing my GU2O and water too weak. Been using 4-4 1/2 scoops per 64 oz., and am suppose to be using at least 6 scoops. No wonder!! No nausea this week like last, but my shaky hand is rearing its ugly head at the moment. Unfortunately, it's my left hand and I'm left-handed. Trying not to get my lunch all over my face. Smile But it does tell me I'm depleted. Met Karen's new dog, Charlie. He's a sweetie and very well-behaved. He's in great shape, and the vet told her that within the next 1 1/2-2 months, with regular workouts, he should be able to go out with us. That'll be fun. Well, I think we're hitting the Mexican restaurant tonight and then a movie. No idea what we're seeing, but it should be a nice, relaxing evening. Hope you all are enjoying your weekend . . . Cool

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey all... joe...lets see some pics of your getaway if you care to share. You and your running are a match. Don't ever let it go! r2....great job on your runs and good luck with Boulder Boulder...I seriously need to "sign up" for somethng just to keep some goals ahead of me. Kelly....happy early 40th....here's to your half coming up and continued success with your "ultras" after that! Amazing mileage! Leslie....great trail run for you today. Glad you are getting the whole fueling thing down. Don't know much about it but sounds as though it is a "learning what works for you sorta thing". Spent the night at my moms last night, giving her some company. Had a nice "no crying" evening. We laughed and ate and talked and "had a couple". She's doing pretty darn good. Have a big pot of chowder I cooked today. A little bit of clam, shrimp, scallops, bacon, potatoes and corn. Even have some hush puppies. Mango key lime pie for desert and woot, woot. Hope to get in an LR tomorrow. We'll see! Enjoy the evening........Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Queen of 3rd Place

Thanks for the good vibes sent my way, all. I'm not completely knocked out but the second half of my running week went to pot due to the crud in my chest and occasional intense coughing bouts - I HATE coughing up boogers, and I REALLY HATE having to take cold medication! Sad Oh well, there's always next week, and I'm going to try to get out there tomorrow if only for a couple easy miles, maybe even just a walk. Keep washing your hands, and cross your fingers, folks... Jewels - great that you can have that good quality time with your mom. And mmmmm...hush puppies! Key lime pie! Ultrachick - well, I'm in awe. I just finished reading a book by Mike Bouscaren, it's really amazing reading about those overnight runs and the places you go in your mind. Leslie - here's wishing you a PR at your 30K! You've learned a lot this past year, I know you're gonna kick some pirate booty! r2 - 17 degrees?? Someone didn't tell your neck of the woods that spring is coming! Joe - keep us posted on how those 20-milers come along. Like you, I'm curious to hear if they get any easier. Arla

Ex runner

woodwoman

Hi there - Didn't fall off the face of the earth, just finishing up the travel hockey season with teenage sons. Nice to spend the morning catching up on everyone - leslie, jewels, r2, joe, all of you. My asthma, which has been on/off for months, got pretty bad so I finally went to the doctor who took one listen, sent me to a pulmonary doctor who said at best I was getting 55-68% of expected oxygen intake, and I'm happy to say that new medication has really turned things around. I should have gone months ago. Anyway, it has helped the running so much (getting oxygen helps, what a concept!) - usually my chest gives out long before the rest of me - not today. Hoping to do first ever 10K in a month. Leslie's cell phone story freaks me out. You did exactly the right thing. When I was in college in the early 80s, I was driving home late one night on a rural road, a big truck pulled up alongside me, they rolled down the window and said my tire was nearly flat and to pull over. There were two guys in the truck. I wouldn't stop and we hit an area near some lights/houses right after that and they tore off the other direction. When I got back to town and checked, my tires were all just fine. You can never be too safe. Take care everyone. Angie