Masters Running

Wilted Wednesday Runs - and Rain! (Read 450 times)

Yes!! We finally got rain! And even though the thunder and lightening screwed up my run this morning, it's raining cats and dogs. I can see the blades of grass in my yard just sighing and singing "bring it on."

Off to the Y for yet another day of eliptical and weights. At least the temps and humidity have dropped with this cold front so tomorrow is looking pretty darn good for a long run.

Welcome back from the Witness Protection Program Steve!

Congrats on conquering your hill Leslie.

Good luck with the weeds Mariposai.

Off to work - hope it's raining in your world today!

MTA  Jay - I hope whatever kept you from getting a good night's sleep resolves itself soon. Take care!

coastwalker

Hi Jlynne,

We got a mess of dark clouds late yesterday, but the storm passed us by, which is a shame. Like just about everyone else, we sure could use the rain.

No workout yesterday because I was up too much of Monday night with too much on my mind.

4.6 racewalking miles this morning at 4:30am, 78F, lots of muggy in the air, and just a bit of a westerly breeze that didn't do near enough to help me stay cool. Made some modifications to my hip rotation and stride, based on Sunday's clinic, and had good splits, especially in this weather (starting at 11:48 and finishing at 10:54). Maybe it was the technique, or maybe it was the dang black fly buzzing my head most of the way.

Off to today's first meeting...

Enjoy & stay cool. 

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I'm glad some of you are getting rain.  We've actually been a bit down too, and this is our rainy season.

CNY, here's hoping Super Granny is doing better and will be home soon.

This morning I decided to do a Wave Run and add some Tempos to my training.  8 miles altogether with miles 3, 5, and 7 at Tempo pace.  7:56, 7:40, and 7:50 for the "On" miles.  I don't really have a good feel for Tempo pace right now but those came out about right.  Pretty tuckered out on that last one.  (It'll get easier over time.)

When I finished there was one of my neighbors out walking his little dog.  That dog just goes crazy when he sees me.  I think it's the salty sweat on my hands!  He's a little tiny thing and just pulls and pulls of the leash till I come over and pet him.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning!

Lucky you JLynne!   We had rain and storms all around us, but we didn't get anything!!  Sad    I'm looking forward to the drop in humidity too!

Jay, try wearing a dryer sheet tucked into your hat.   I have been putting one in my pony tail and haven't had a issue with flies.     I wonder if I look like a flying nun!  Wink

As I headed out for my run this morning I kept noticing lightening.   I couldn't hear any thunder and usually they come off the lake from the west, but the lightening was to the east.   Hmmmm..... As it kept getting more frequent, I let it get the best of me and only ran 2 miles.   When I got home I did an ab workout on the stability ball.   Of course, we never did get any rain or storms.

For those of you with Koi questions, remember I am strictly a novice and am letting nature takes its course.   Yes, goldfish and Koi are in the same "family" but they are different.  Goldfish will eat their eggs and young, Koi do not.   If we had other fish in the pond, like blue gill, they would have also eaten the young.     In my reading, I found that dragon flies will eat the eggs too, and it now makes sense why I was seeing so many around the pond....duh!    Baby Koi are canibals though and will eat the smaller ones, so if you notice any getting a lot bigger than the others, those should be taken out to give the little ones a chance.  (as if I could catch one!)   That's about the extent of my knowledge.   They hide and swim so fast that it is hard for me to even get a good count, but I am guessing there are a couple dozen of them.   Once they get larger, provided they make it, I will have to find new homes for them so my pond doesn't get over crowded.

MikeE - I thought of your wife last night when I kicked a toad across the sidewalk.   It gave me the willies as I didn't even see it until I looked back to see what it was.   **shudder**

Byll - so happy to read that your DD is doing well. 

Welcome back Steve!!

Better get at it .....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

...how is it possible

to have Ominous Thunder since 9-PM last night

and

not

One drop of Rain out of it????

=======

ironically,

the one thing that can keep me from hiking AND poolrunning

................hope it goes away

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tomwhite - we had thunder too but no rain.  Maybe today though.  Luckily we can pump lake water for the flowers and small yard that we have. 

Holly - it is sad to see the crops wither.  MN isn't as bad as the Eastern plains, yet.

Hi Posie! - I don't do much weeding, DH does that but he gathers all the neighbors grass clippings and puts around the tomatoes, peppers, squash and cukes.  Between the rows, he plants them at least 36" apart so he can get down with is $800 tiller (I think I could buy alot of produce at the farmers market for $800!)  I was sweating in the garden for one little pile of green beans and a big pile of zucchinni, peppers and cukes thinking that it would be easier to buy them.

Mike E - It sounds like a tough job you have, where are you working?

I wish I had a variety trails to run, but when I can only run 4-5 miles, it's kind of hard to make different loops out of that.  The loop on the trail through the campground is almost 4 miles, so that is perfect for me right now.  It's really steamy here today, my windows inside were dripping and I had to use wipers in the car.  I think I'll go to the Y like Jlynne to do the eliptical and get started on weights.  My running goal for now is to run faster than Jay can racewalk, but that's going to take a while! 

stay cool

Starr in MN

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Six miles this morning at easy pace---weights and core work beforehand. roar.

I also ran six in the morning yesterday and then another 4 miles in the evening including the weekly 5k x-country race. So few people showed (40 compared to typical 100-150). Thanks to all the no shows I was first woman and the kiddo was first male teen. Fun! We won free entry (kids under 18 are always free) for future races and some mango-pineapple smoothie drinks. Made the slog through the humidity worth it! 

Thanks for all the thoughts folks...appreciate it, really I do. 

One of my younger and faster running buddies is hosting an Olympic marathon viewing party with a 26.2 kilometer run to follow (16.2 miles). August 5 at 6:00 am US time (11:00 am in the UK) The Olympic marathon women are up first---the men on August 12. Whoosh! 

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

79F

94%

We ran through Eastern State Hospital and they went back to the rec. center to swim and I turned right and ran through Skipwith. I had just finished mile 4 and looked up to see a hill in front of me. I hit the stop button on Garmin and my legs. I walked up the hill and did not start running again until mile 4.5. So. 5 miles but only 4.5 running. 

It is difficult to run in a pressure cooker.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

I don't think I'd like working with a coach or personal trainer -- I don't like people telling me what to do.  Roll eyes

My problem exactly, Caroline. That's what happened when I tried to take some swimming lessons a few months ago, especially since my instructor couldn't seem to get it through her head that I was just trying to learn how to swim laps comfortably for fitness -- not train do do triathlons! But I did pick up enough pointers to be able to teach myself once my shoulder is back closer to 100%.

We're getting some light, steady rain here too, and welcome it! So I tried using the treadmill in the basement instead, but it was pretty humid down there and I was unusually sluggish, so gave it up early.

Enjoy the day!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

CNYrunner best wishes to your whole family during this time. 

Just a quick pop in so people think I am still alive.  I ran 9 yesterday.  That meant no running today.  My hour on the elliptical was miserable!  I am not sure what happened but I had to just stop a couple of times to rest.  Probably just due to the fact that my last bout on that cursed machine was nearly three weeks ago.  That is it for now and likely until tomorrow as I dig my way out of my piled up office work.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

The common thread today seems to be the weather...again.

I've only been running for about 40 - 45 mins in the morning and I look like I just stepped out of a pool when I get home. There may be a bit of relief around the corner.

2 more days and I'm off to RAGBRAI !

Hopefully I can find my running mojo back when I get back home.

[[[[ mojo for slo ]]]]]

==========

thunderboomers moved off

100+ with the HeatIndex

.................104 min hiking,,,,,,,,,,,,,24min poolrun to Celebrate............YOWZA//////

a lady

walked in

while we were changing and asked ''Is this the Mens' Locker??''

didn't know

if it was a Trick Question or not.

I assured her

this happened a lot

.....................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tom - maybe she was just checking out if the heat index for men too is like a summer versions of the wind chill factor supposedly indicating how cold it would feel to stand in it without any clothes on.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet - Big grinBig grin

Running Today - 5 miles on the schedule with hill fartleks, if I so desired.  And I did for a short while.  About Mile 4, though, things began to go oh so bad, and I spent the next, oh, 20 minutes trying to get home without having a horrible accident.  Start, stop, compose.  Start, quickly stop, pray/compose. Over and over and over . . . Try Winco.  Nope. Bathrooms still closed for cleaning.  Precious minutes wasted and still half a mile to go.  Finally, FINALLY get to my front door - locked!  I hadn't locked it when I left!  Shorty's gone to an AA meeting.  Oh No!  This means I have to bend over and get my key out of my shoe pocket.  Can I get it on the first grab?  No!  Where's the frigging key??  Finally!  Get the door open, cats better get outta my way 'cause I ain't stoppin' for nothin'!

I'm still recovering . . . . .

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - Big grinBig grin Big grinBig grin

I thought I was stil too tired to laugh.

uhmm, have a nice run,. . I mean tme at Mt. Hood.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)